Possible blockage - freaking out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible blockage - freaking out

My girl is 1 year old today!! Today she had squirting diarrhea at the dog park and wouldn't touch her dinner tonight. About a half hour ago she threw up what looked like all her kibble from this morning along with what I think was the pig ear she had. I'm freaking out because she should not have all that undigested food in her stomach from 8:00 this morning...really worried about a blockage. She's not the kind to eat anything that's not edible, but since it's her birthday I have been giving her lots of "special" treats, raw hide two nights ago, bully stick last night, sweet potato rope (only about a 1/3 of it last night), and a pig ear today. I think she threw up last time she had a pig ear...but that doesn't explain all the undigested food. Other than that she was acting normal, cashed out on her chair right now, but I can't say if she's just tired or "listless". I'm so nervous I feel sick (I tend to overreact in general). And to top things off I am broke! I know that can be an expensive situation. I'm gonna take her tomorrow if she doesn't eat or poop, or if she throws up again. If this is a blockage I'm gonna feel so guilty!!!!!! She seemed to have an iron stomach before today. Anybody else have experience with a dog vomiting undigested food 9 hours later??????
JMCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hope its not a blockage, but if you think it is, best to get her looked at. With all the "special " treats could be a blockage, but also could be an upset stomach too, the vet will give you "peace of mind". I've had them puke up breakfast fed at 7-8am later in the afternoon and it still resembled soggy kibble.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hate rawhides!! They do sometimes cause digestive issues, especially when a dog isn't use to getting them, and ingests more than they should at one time. While you are waiting this out, I'd not feed at all....give a limited amount of water(3-4 oz at a time) and let the gut rest.
I hope she poops and clears herself out by morning. That is alot of variety of treats, it may just be too much for her digestive tract to deal with all at once.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your quick response, I'm hoping for an upset stomach....we're gonna take it easy on the "special" treats from now on, lesson learned! Keeping my fingers crossed....
JMCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh, and Happy 1st Birthday to your pup, even though her partying took its toll.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would take her to the vet and have an x ray of her gut done.

Please no more rawhide and no pigs ears.

Personal experience , one of my dogs (sire and dam) but bred by a friend, in top competition , many times high in trial at big well attended shows --- of course owner gives the dog pigs ears. Starts doing what you describe in your dog . Finally when the owner takes the dog to the breeders vet , x ray is done, surgery on the spot . Blockage confirmed but with so much of he intestine dead (necrotic tissue) , there was no way to change the outcome and it was decided to humanely end it right there while the dog was already anaesthetized . The pigs ear had saponified , a big slimy mess . Not the first time this vet had experienced this , nor the first time the manufacturer had experienced notification of this problem . They were very very anxious to pay for the surgery, expenses, replace the dog .
Those pigs ears are laminated , treated with chemicals , formaldehyde if memory serves me right , and if imported from China who knows what else , lead? arsenic?

Not to alarm you but for your own peace of mind have the dog thoroughly checked out .
Last year I did an experiment which I was going to post on the forum but can't download and put up pictures.
Some of you may recall this challenge.
I bought some rolled up rawhide strips from the local Dollar store . Bought a 2 litre container of Coke . Inserted the rawhide strip and kept it there for a month . I would look through the clear Coke container into the sunlight , without opening it , to see if the rawhide was dissolving. At the end we couldn't get it out , the whole thing was one swollen foul slimy mess .

Take your dog for a jog as a treat .
Vet visit first -- I think this is so important .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here are a number of things coke will do:

To prove Coke does not belong in the human body, here are 20 practical ways you can use Coke as a domestic cleaner:
  • Removes grease stains from clothing and fabric
  • Removes rust; methods include using fabric dipped in Coke, a sponge or even aluminum foil.
  • Also loosens rusty bolts
  • Removes blood stains from clothing and fabric.
  • Cleans oil stains from a garage floor; let the stain soak, hose off.
  • Kills slugs and snails; the acids kills them.
  • Cleans burnt pans; let the pan soak in the Coke, then rinse.
  • Descales a kettle (same method as with burnt pans)
  • Cleans car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one.
  • Cleans your engine; Coke distributors have been using this technique for decades.
  • Makes pennies shine; soaking old pennies in Coke will remove the tarnish.
  • Cleans tile grout; pour onto kitchen floor, leave for a few minutes, wipe up.
  • Dissolves a tooth; Use a sealed container…takes a while but it does work.
  • Removes gum from hair; dip into a small bowl of Coke, leave a few minutes. Gum will wipe off.
  • Removes stains from vitreous china.
  • Got a dirty pool? Adding two 2-liter bottles of Coke clears up rust.
  • You can remove (or fade) dye from hair by pouring diet Coke over it. Remove marker stains from carpet.
  • Applying Coke, scrubbing and then clean with soapy water will remove marker stains.
  • Cleans a toilet; pour around bowl, leave for a while, flush clean.
  • Coke and aluminum foil will bring Chrome to a high shine.
  • Strips paint off metal furniture. Soak a towel in Coke and lay it on the paint surface
But it won't dissolve a Rawhide. Now that is something to think about.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Stay away from rawhide regardless of where it is made but especially if made in China. Once the dog chews and swallows, it swells up and can cause blockage - is terrible stuff. Also rawhide is generally leather that is thrown away and they bleach it and do all sorts of things to it to make it look like it does as the final product.

With vomiting foods, some foods like kibble and bone can take up to 12 hours to digest. If she is still not feeling better I would take her to the vet for an examination.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

How scary!

I just bought a bag of pig ears from Costco. It's made from Germany and the ingredient says just "dried pig ears." Are these ok?
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well a more fair test would be muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid which is the same acid in the stomach) which may react differently with the rawhide than the phosphoric acid in coke since it is stronger acid.

Different acids also react very differently. I use to have fun with students in chemistry with pennies. Even strong hyrdrochloric acid won't dissolve a penny unless it is nicked and then it will eat out the zinc interior {pennies after the 80s are not pure copper} and leave a copper foil shell ......But nitric acid will dissolve the whole penny and rather explosively when it gets through the copper and hits the zinc.

So anyway.....but yes.......rawhides are notorious at causing blockages. You may want to call the emergency vet clinic now for advice on when to come in if need be. If you don't have the money there is care credit so you may want to go ahead and look into that in advance.

Healthcare and Medical Financing for Consumers | CareCredit™

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-12-2013 at 10:07 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.