Cable screamed when he got up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Cable screamed when he got up

Got home from work, did various things around the house as per normal. Made myself ready for bed, told the dogs to go potty, bedtime. Cable and Allie went out did their business(I watched, just to make sure they took a leak). Hopped in bed, dogs on either side and was pretty quickly asleep. About an hour into la-la land Cable stood up, started to hop off the bed and screamed. Not a whine, but a full bore in massive pain screech. needless to say I was up like a shot and was able to lay hands on him quickly. He had jumped down and was sort of inching his way to the door. Could not tell if he was favoring a paw, or back or what. He turned back to me and buried his head in my lap.

Allie is normally very jealous, she just sat there watching as I poked and prodded Cable, trying to find the spot or whatever had caused him so much pain. Nothing made him flinch, nowhere did he make a move to protect. He hopped back up, sat on my chest for a second and then went outside, took a nice leak and came trotting back inside. No weird gait, no sign of pain in the least.

When he hopped back up on the bed for the last time, he did the 3 turns around dog thing and as he plopped I heard a soft wimper. He does that sometimes as he just likes to talk *I THINK*. This one sounded like pain to me, so once again I poke and prod to no avail.

He's in great health, moves great and is not showing any signs in the least of restricted movement or tentative actions.

Could he have had a really bad dream? His vocalization spooked Allie, it made me just about pee. Within minutes he was 100% goofball Cable, nibbling at my fingers and swatting my face as per the norm. I am baffled.
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Could he have a pinched nerve? It can cause a sharp pain when something moves a certain way, but goes away just as quickly when moved back?

Hope he's ok and just landed funny, that must have been upsetting for everyone
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Brembo could he have landed wrong when he jumped and then when setting back down kind of some tenderness there.? I would keep an eye on it for awhile as Im sure your doing. Lucky is my drama boy. He after his coming to us was found to have heartworm. So after a injection of the H/W treatment( three hours later) I picked him up and when my husband put his hand down to pat his shoulders Lucky let out a blood curdling scream that made me say "what did you do?" Called the vet who reminded me the shot was nowhere near the shoulder(dont remember where it was) and that Lucky was a bit dramatic. I think he re-experienced the pain of the shot when he saw my husband reaching for him. Just a wacky theory. Maybe Cable's jump left him somewhat tender ,kind of like when you've fallen and you get some twinges of tenderness when you hit the same area. Just a few thoughts.Cable is about 3 or 4 right?

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Could he have done something during his flight the other day? Maybe he caught a toe nail?
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

He didn't scream when he hit the ground, it was part of the motion to get off the bed. My working theory now is a toenail, found a bloody spot(very small) on the dog-bed. Could be Allie in heat for the first time, could be Cable, gonna find out somehow.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.