Penny's Paws - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Penny's Paws

So Penny seems to have very sensitive paws, she has cut them several times and she again some how managed to slice her toe pad open this morning while we had our morning playdate with my neighbor (a good friend of mine) and her dog Scooby-Doo. Not sure how it happened as the ground is covered in snow and I know there is no glass or nails or anything like that that would have done it, so I am assuming it was the ice under the snow that did it. But Penny's paws arnt only sensitive to being cut open but salt! Omg the salt out now I can no longer walk Penny on any kind of main street or anywhere that salt is used. Penny's first walk when it first got icy out and the salt was put down was unbearable I had to call my friend to come get me and Penny because Penny was curled up on the grass screaming while holding her paws up. I felt so heart broken for her. My last GSD never had any problems with her feet and only cut her pad once on a broken beer at a park, and never had issues walking the streets in winter with the salt.

Does anyone else have a GSD with really sensitive paws? I have tried to put on a pair or doggy booties but Penny wont let me get near her with them. Which is also something I wanted to ask. Some things she is absolutely terrified of for no reason, like getting her revolution on, I have to get her into a corner and hold her down to put it on or she runs away and will not let me get close to her with it, and a bath you can forget as well. Not sure why she is so scared of things that have never hurt her but I guess thats just how my girl is, a big scaredy dog. Any suggestions how I can keep Penny's paws safe from getting cut and safe from the salt this winter? Should I just keep trying to put the booties on her? I feel really stupid putting booties on my GSD, shes a GSD for crying out loud lol but if it will help Id rather do it than not.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well the revolution should have stopped in like Oct. It is probably hurting her. Burning maybe.

Booties. Try putting on back feet only to start (treats, treats, treats!). bring the other two, so when her feet hurt and she lays down, clean off and put other two on, when she gets back into her groove she may recognize as feeling better and like them.

Whenever G walks through salt (to cross road or something) I move him into snow to clean off. This generally results in ice balls forming in his paws between the toes and heel (not sure what the paw anatomy is called...lol), so I dig out the ice balls (with bare fingers), and he is up and boogying along again. I use on back only, at least I know which are affected if he wimps out.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i think you are going to have use booties. there is a balm for pads, but it won't prevent cuts. how were the pads of the other dog?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Well the revolution should have stopped in like Oct. It is probably hurting her. Burning maybe.

Booties. Try putting on back feet only to start (treats, treats, treats!). bring the other two, so when her feet hurt and she lays down, clean off and put other two on, when she gets back into her groove she may recognize as feeling better and like them.

Whenever G walks through salt (to cross road or something) I move him into snow to clean off. This generally results in ice balls forming in his paws between the toes and heel (not sure what the paw anatomy is called...lol), so I dig out the ice balls (with bare fingers), and he is up and boogying along again. I use on back only, at least I know which are affected if he wimps out.
She only got another dose of revolution because I found out she had fleas! I had put her last dose on at the end of August and found out she had some fleas about 2 weeks ago so put another dose of revolution on her which I didnt want to do but had to do it anyway because my so called friend (the one that i have spoken about before with their GSD named Stanley) did not put any flea/tick preventitive on Stanley and I am assuming she got them from him as Penny only ever sees two dogs now that is Scooby-Doo (Scooby-Doo does not have fleas) and Stanley, and she hasnt been around Stanley since I found out he has fleas and worms (this poor dog has had worms since last year!) my so called friend claims that he has been dewormed and that the vet says he does not have worms but then I constantly find worms in his poop every time I see him or puppy sit him. So I have yet to confront my friend about this but I will not be letting Penny play with Stanley any more until I get written documentation from a vet stating he does not have fleas or worms so I am not sure how to bring that up with my friend and I do not think I am being unreasonable but I should not have to keep pumping Penny full of drugs just because my friend cant take care of her dog.

Anyway, she has always been afraid of me putting revolution on her or giving her meds or anything of the sort. But I will try to ease the booties on today and start trying to use them. I hope I can actually use them esp now that she has another cut on her pad and walking on that salt is going to hurt her more
Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe it's the type of bootie. I had bought G fake Muttluks (as the true were 60+ dollars), they just slip down and would be tripping over them. A more fitted flat sole bootie maybe better. Or you can try those rubber ones (get at walmart or just about anywhere), although I don't see how they don't cut off circulation, even -xtra large...IDK, never used, but have seen on a golden (purple size), and he seemed fine. At least to cover the cut pad.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here is Penny walking with her booties and a sweater (the sweater was made by my mom for Diesel and Diesel was smaller than Penny so it looks a little small but it was not too tight). Penny loved walking in the snow with her booties and sweater and have had no problem putting them on her I need to get a bigger sweater and bigger booties as both are too small but they worked for the storm we had yesterday lol.. Here is a little video I took while walking.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

glad the booties worked out.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.