German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   What age was your bitch? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/377873-what-age-your-bitch.html)

Springbrz 12-07-2013 11:33 PM

What age was your bitch?

Ziva is 9 months old today. She has yet to have her 1st heat. I know it could happen any time now. I was just curious as to what the average age was for GSD's to have their 1st heat.

qbchottu 12-08-2013 12:31 AM

Depends on the female and the lines. Small breed dogs tend to come in earlier in age and large breeds can have their first heats at later ages as they mature slower. I've had a female come in at 15 months. Don't worry just yet.

MiraC 12-08-2013 10:11 AM

My Female is 14 months old and has not had her first heat yet.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Springbrz 12-08-2013 12:30 PM

I'm not worried. Just wondering how much longer we might be waiting. We have several intact males in the neighborhood (one next door) and am actively keeping an eye out. We don't want to breed her, ever. But we have chosen to wait for her to have at least one heat and physically mature more before we spay her. 14-15 months...wow...I had know idea some went that long. Guess I might just have more time to save for the vet bill, yay!
Just hope it's not our Christmas present :fingerscrossed:

wolfy dog 12-08-2013 01:48 PM

This is my limited experience with females: the heat will not start suddenly. First her vulva will swell and she will be marking and become interesting to the males. You have to separate her from males and recently neutered males from that time on until her vulva has returned to the normal size and she is no longer desired by the guys. Most likely she will bleed for several days, week, 10 days, depending on the individual dog. Most will be able to conceive after bleeding stops but this is not always the case so play it safe.
The breeders here can probably give you more detailed info.

qbchottu 12-08-2013 02:21 PM

If you are in contact with your breeder, ask him/her what age the mother came in and what age the female siblings typically came in - your bitch will likely come in around that age as well.

dawnandjr 12-08-2013 03:00 PM

Anywhere from 10 to 18 months. My bitch was around 10 months and then cycles about every 8 months. Just think, it will be less heat cycles the longer she waits :)

middleofnowhere 12-08-2013 03:42 PM

Mine came in at 15 months I think it was. She bleeds for the full three weeks - while it might be inconvenient, it reminds me that she is still in heat & shouldn't be hanging out with any ungentlemanly callers.

Springbrz 12-08-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbchottu (Post 4635537)
If you are in contact with your breeder, ask him/her what age the mother came in and what age the female siblings typically came in - your bitch will likely come in around that age as well.

Unfortunately, We weren't on top of things when we got her and got her from a BYB so to speak. Young couple looking to feed their male and female during tough times. Thus a litter... :(. So not much help with the breeder (if that's what you care to call them). She has flaws...but we love her to pieces. :wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 4635841)
Mine came in at 15 months I think it was. She bleeds for the full three weeks - while it might be inconvenient, it reminds me that she is still in heat & shouldn't be hanging out with any ungentlemanly callers.

:rofl: "Ungentlemanly callers"... I like that. Definitely no boys allowed during "that time". I am amazed that I'm hearing such late first heats. Our last girls were Chow/Samoyed and they had their first heat at 6 months. I really had no idea larger breed dogs went so long.

Learn something new every day! And, every day look to learn something new :)

lorihd@comcast.net 12-08-2013 08:18 PM

14 months is when lexie had her first heat.