moving injured and anxious dog around ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default moving injured and anxious dog around ?

Our GSD who is going on 13 years, and is also a bit on the fat side, hurt his rear leg the other day. We didn't think too much of this as he's pulled a muscle or strained himself before, and always walks it off after a few days. He's had some ongoing and worsening hip dysplasia as he's gotten older, and has also had increasing anxiety about walking on our hardwood floors.

I really don't think his leg is bothering him that much anymore (we poke and prod at it and he doesn't mind, and when he walks the three feet between his two beds, he seems fine, but very anxious.)

But obviously, he needs to go outside at some point! He hasn't been to the bathroom in 3 days amazingly, but he seems to be fine with that. He's only not fine when we try to drag him through the house and out the door, and which point he freaks out and has a panic attack.

What's the best way to get a 100 lb dog with an anxiety problem out of the house?
I bought a dog sling to hold/support him - that freaks him out.
I bought some dog shoes with sticky pads on the bottom to help on hardwood floors - they freak him out.
I've put throw rugs down all the way from his bed area to the door, he has no interest in walking on them.
My next step is probably to but a 4'x4' piece of plywood under his dog bed, and attempt to drag him out on that. But whenever we pull him on his dog bed he gets freaked out. There are two steps between his bed area and the front door that we have to overcome as well.
I've thought about pulling the crate out of the craws space, and somehow cramming him in that, and then shutting the door and just dragging/carrying him out that way.

Just wondering if anyone had any better ideas.
Thanks
evilstevie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

You covered all my ideas. Have you tried leading him with treats?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

He needs to go to the vet to see if there are things that can be done to help him with weight loss and pain management. Supplements, etc, may help. Please don't let them put him on NSAIDs (aspirin, Rimadyl and things like that) without blood work first.

Not going to the bathroom for that long is really dangerous too.

Canine Orthopedic Equipment Designed for Increased Mobility and Extra Support - Whole Dog Journal Article the Ruffwear harness may be helpful.

DogAware.com Health: Arthritis in Dogs

Adequan for Dogs

Pain in Dogs and Cats: Introduction and Basics Pain in Dogs and Cats: Injuries, Mild Pain, Arthritis, First Aid Pain in Dogs and Cats: Post-Surgery, Severe Pain
Pain and aging can bring on anxiety - less pain can help it.

Cholodin can help as well. Dietary Supplements - MVP Labratories Inc. But you may want to see if something like Amyltriptiline (Elavil) in low dose, would help. Know that it can cause serotonin syndrome if combined with some other things.

Please call a vet today and get help getting him there if need be.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

not going to the bathroom for 3 days? is he not drinking? dehydrated ? i would think you need a vet visit pronto. i am thinking kidney failure.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.