German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   1 year old hip opinions (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/375945-1-year-old-hip-opinions.html)

Okin 12-04-2013 11:29 AM

1 year old hip opinions

I know you can't tell if a dog has bad hips without x-rays but I still want to ask suggestions of what you think. I am going to make an appointment with my vet to see what they think as well. I talked with my old vet about her and she didn't seem to think it was going to be an issue, but she has moved out of the state so I want to talk with my new vet about it.

My GSD is about a week short of being 1 year old. Her hips were x-ray at 6 months and the Vet said they looked great. I know a lot can change after 6 months.

Symptoms:

The one thing I have noticed the most is after long walks her back end starts to bounce. She doesn't limp or seem to be in pain. At the beginning of the walk there is very little sway in her hips at all, at the end of the walk her back end seems to be bouncing up and down. I'm not sure if this is just her being tired or a sign of hip issues. This is only really noticeable in longer walks 1+ miles. Yesterday we did about a mile walk to the park, up some trails, threw fetch, then walked back and I didn't notice it till the end of the walk. Also there are a lot of large hills in the area. At no point does she act like she wants to stop, but she is only one.

She sometimes does the bunny hop run, not all the time. She still can run very fast. She doesn't bunny hop up stairs just some times when running. When trotting she never bunny hops but when she runs she sometimes does.

She sometimes does the lazy sideways sit, and frog legs down, but she will also do perfect sits and downs. When we are in training classes or when I have her sit/down for a treat it is perfect but when she is just sitting/laying around sometimes she lays with her legs straight out or sits to one side.

She does seem to slip on hardwood/tile floor. I have never seen her slip on carpet areas.

She also stands a bit cow hocked.

She will stretch a lot with her back legs stretched out as far as possible.

Lately she has had a reluctance to go up stairs. This may be because we have a pretty steep set of stairs that are hardwood and she slipped on them a month or so ago. She will only go up the stairs if no one is on them and she can sprint up them as fast as she can. The reluctance to go up stairs is recent, but she has always tried to do them as fast as possible. She doesn't bunny hop them though.

She doesn't show any reluctance to jump, get up, run around. She doesn't limp or show signs of pain. She has not shown signs of pain from pulling or moving her legs around. She is very happy to be active and play. She will jump up from laying down at any time a toy shows up she would play and run 24/7 if we allowed it. My vet said when they are younger they will sometimes "play through the pain" and you won't notice the issues.

Any opinions are appreciated and I understand you can't diagnose anything on the internet.

Fade2Black 12-04-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okin (Post 4610433)
She will stretch a lot with her back legs stretched out as far as possible.

Any opinions are appreciated and I understand you can't diagnose anything on the internet.

I am no expert but I think this is a good thing. My Genesis used to be able to stretch out as fas as possible all his life (minus from the time he developed DM)....

My Kaos used to stretch out as far as possible from the time he was a puppy also. At about 5 was when he had x rays done and the Vet called them a mess. He could still stretch out but not as far as when he was young. The older he got and the worse his hip got the stretching got shorter and shorter ubtil he couldn't stretch out any more.....

My 11 month old Havoc also stretches out as far as possible.....

Harry and Lola 12-04-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okin (Post 4610433)
At the beginning of the walk there is very little sway in her hips at all, at the end of the walk her back end seems to be bouncing up and down. She sometimes does the bunny hop run, not all the time. She still can run very fast. She doesn't bunny hop up stairs just some times when running. When trotting she never bunny hops but when she runs she sometimes does. She doesn't show any reluctance to jump, get up, run around. She doesn't limp or show signs of pain. She has not shown signs of pain from pulling or moving her legs around. She is very happy to be active and play. She will jump up from laying down at any time a toy shows up she would play and run 24/7 if we allowed it.

Could be HD, my Lola was diagnosed with HD around 1yo. I noticed at around the 9 month age I could hear Lola's hips click and feel the click when commanded to sit or change position with my hand on her hip. She sways her hips when walking (walking behind her its as though she is doing a sexy walk!) she bunny hops sometimes, mainly when running. She didn't and doesn't show any pain or reluctance to jump, get up and run around, except after exercising I have to help her into the car (is a large SUV and quite high). I suggest you do get her xrayed and scored, just so you know what you are dealing with. Lola's score is 38 and she is pretty even on both sides. To treat I simply give her (and Harry) a human glucosamine and chondroitin capsule everyday (sprinkle into her food) and she is doing very well. Depending on the xray, you might find just by treating her will help her and hopefully she won't require surgery. Giving joint meds to dogs is a good thing and there are so many to choose from, canine and human. I just find the human ones cheaper and she has been on these for 3+ years and is doing brilliantly.

MaggieRoseLee 12-05-2013 02:26 PM

What does your breeder say?

Can you post some videos of what you are seeing? If the xrays were good at a year it's interesting if they fell apart so quickly...

:)

Okin 12-05-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 4617473)
What does your breeder say?

Can you post some videos of what you are seeing? If the xrays were good at a year it's interesting if they fell apart so quickly...

:)

I might be overreacting I'm not sure. I tried to catch it on video but I was walking and it didn't turn out great. This was from the other day after a long walk and run. It seems like her back end bops up and down more than side to side.

Athena - YouTube

Okin 12-09-2013 08:02 PM

I took Athena to the vet tonight and the vet did some manipulation of her hips. She said she was able to here a clicking noise (can't remember the clinical term) when manipulating her left hip. She didn't seem to think it was very advanced at this point or severe, but I am scheduled to have her sedated and hip x-ray on Wednesday morning. She said we can re-evaluate the situation after seeing the x-rays and she is going to send a copy to a surgeon to get a 2nd opinion. She said it could be signs of HD or the hips could look fine and it could tighten as she grows. She will be one year in a couple days. We are hoping for the best.