itchy,lice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default itchy,lice

Hi
My GSD is 6 weeks old and has lice and ticks in his thick double coat hair.Recently visited vet and found slight infection for which he is given medicines but doctor said that we cannot treat him for lice yet as he is just 6weeks. But his scratching is being a problem for him and making him dull all day. Any immediate solution till he turns eligible for a medication.
Mani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

ASK YOU VET FIRST: Can you use a human lice treatment on his coat? Ask your vet though, he may be too small and it could make him ill/kill him.

I don't see why your vet wouldn't remove the ticks??

Lice spread, rapidly, and can infect whole houses with humans. Everything has to be washed/put in a dryer, treated, disinfected...all clothing and linens, carpets, everything.
Kat Tastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Dog lice won't spread to humans. They cannot survive off the dog. They can spread to other dogs and to cats, so any other dog or cat your puppy may have been in contact with will also need to be checked. And your vet is right, your six week old is too young for treatment.

For now, bathe you puppy with a mild shampoo, leave the shampoo on for a few minutes and rinse well. It will help wash some of the fleas and lice away, but you won't be able to get rid of them all. You can try and pick the fleas off with a flea comb, or tweezers. The lice are too small to be seen with the naked eye, but they are soft bodied, so bathing with regular mild shampoo will drown them. Lice live their whole cycle on the dog, so the eggs are on the dog, stuck to the fur strands, and will be hatching out in 7 days, and will need to be bathed again.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I knew a breeder that swore by blue dawn for this kind of thing in puppies too young to give treatment. I've used it on young pups for fleas to great effect, but I'm not sure about mites.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for suggestion. But cant give him a bath either as vet advised no bath till he is 3 months. The lice and eggs keep on increasing every day..nd now he is crying while scratching. I feel bad for him..i try to remove them with hand but they r too many nd this fellow has no patience to sit calmly. I feel soo helpless and not able to see him in pain. waiting for a month for getting them treated is too long nd i don't know how he will survive that long with soo many lice. Wish i found a solution
Mani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I thought the vet said not to treat for lice? Looks like you could bath with blue dawn; until old enough to treat for lice. If not sorry.wonder why. You could not bathe? Good luck bill

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

You could try a lice comb to remove some eggs/lice. Ask your vet if you can use some kind of natural oil (coconut? Lavender?) on his skin/coat, or even just a water only bath.

Have you checked with a second vet? I can't imagine any vet just making him suffer.

Why can't he have a bath?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Tastic View Post
You could try a lice comb to remove some eggs/lice. Ask your vet if you can use some kind of natural oil (coconut? Lavender?) on his skin/coat, or even just a water only bath.

Have you checked with a second vet? I can't imagine any vet just making him suffer.

Why can't he have a bath?
Good question!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

How about some of the solutions noted here?
http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-lice.html

Thinking outside the box...you could always give him a mullet!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...IrraUmzKfvJpxA
Old 12-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Are you in the USA?
Food Grade (NOT the kind for swimming pools called "filter grade") Diatomaceous Earth is non toxic.
"Diatomaceous Earth kills insects by PHYSICAL action---not chemical. Hundreds of the microscopic DE get all over the insects body. As the insects move, the DE scratches the waxy coating off of them and they dehydrate and die. Because the DE particle is so small--it has no harm to people and pets. It is a simple mineral---silica."
We will ship anywhere. Since the web site is not set up for international shipping, you need to call us at 402-371-6111 to get a quote. https://www.earthworkshealth.com/pro...FWho7AodHn8AVw

DE is a very powdery, billowy powder, so apply it to the dog outside or in the garage. Food grade DE is perfectly safe but use caution if you have asthma or breathing problems and wear a mask. Start in small areas and rub the powder into his coat, being very careful around his eyes.
This can also be sprinkled around the house, on rugs, floors, beddings and in cracks.

Quality food, raw meat, and vitamins supplements could help him as these creatures must be sucking the life out of him! How awful for the poor little guy! Why was he taken away from his mother so young? His immune system must be taking a big hit.

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.