Yelping and can't walk and 5 minutes later is fine - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yelping and can't walk and 5 minutes later is fine

Hi,
I went outside this morning to feed my 12 week old boy, Ryker. He didn't run straight to the door as usual so I thought something was different. I heard him barking and yelping just around the corner and he limped over to me in excitement, then plonked dowg to the ground. Very restless, but every time he went to stand up he would yelp and drop down again. I had been up an hour prior to this to drop my partner off at work and he was awake and not crying. So I think it possibly may have happened as I was opening the door to greet him.

I called the vet straight away making sure he was laying down so as not to further hurt himself. Within 5 minutes though, its as if nothing ever happened. As we speak, he is outside chasing flies, tail wagging.. haha. No sign of a limp at all. I cancelled the appointment and told them I would call again if anything went wrong again.

Could he have just twisted his ankle slightly? He's booked in for a check up in a few days so I can mention it there if nothing further happens. What do you guys think?
Stephsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Who knows could have got a splinter in a paw that was poking when he put weight on it and it worked itself loose.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Who knows could have got a splinter in a paw that was poking when he put weight on it and it worked itself loose.
I do hope it is something miniscule like that. Just glad to see him okay for now
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Our Mia did this all the time. She would come crying, holding a front paw up. We would check it out, tell her she was ok and to suck it up. Literally a minute later she was 100 mph again.

Scared us the first couple of times. After that, we would check to make sure she was really ok then a minute later there she went at 100 mph again...
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

so...your boy lives outside? all the time???
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

are you leaving your 12 week old pup outside? i think you should go
to the Vet.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
are you leaving your 12 week old pup outside? i think you should go
to the Vet.
i hate when people are judgmental, but doggiedad is spot on in this case if you are letting a 12 week old pup live outside.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay, perhaps I should have expected these replies...
Ryker is fine sleeping outside. I understand in some countries, it is frowned upon. But here in Australia it is an incredibly common thing for the large dog breeds to be kept outside. He is still allowed inside under our supervision, but the landlords don't actually allow us to KEEP him inside.
He is an amazingly healthy and happy pup. Great nature, loves kids. I love my dog, and find it incredibly rude for you to suggest that I need to go to the vet.

If I could have it my way, I would definitely have kept him inside, but that just wasnt an option. The nights here are warm, and when they get cold, of course we will bring him in.

The breeders we bought him off keep their champion dogs outside.

I don't work so he gets lots of attention during the day, The neighborhood is safe, we've locked the gates, there are no dangerous ticks in our area.

I've loved reading over this forum for help and suggestions but clearly, the majority of you are too busy judging me on an irrelevant factor than, actually giving advice on the given problem.

If you honestly think I am harming my dog, tell me how, I'd love to prove you wrong.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not sure people knew off hand you were an Aussie. The assumption was you were in the US and aside from a handful of places this time of year it's unfun cold. Def too cold for a pup that young.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephsullivan View Post
I've loved reading over this forum for help and suggestions but clearly, the majority of you are too busy judging me on an irrelevant factor than, actually giving advice on the given problem.
... It was two people. And all they did was actually ask if the dog lives outside.

If the puppy seems happy, then you could just wait for the upcoming check up that you mentioned. You're going to have to go with your intuition

Last edited by Vagus; 12-03-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Vagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.