German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Yelping and can't walk and 5 minutes later is fine (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/375185-yelping-cant-walk-5-minutes-later-fine.html)

Stephsullivan 12-02-2013 05:17 PM

Yelping and can't walk and 5 minutes later is fine

Hi,
I went outside this morning to feed my 12 week old boy, Ryker. He didn't run straight to the door as usual so I thought something was different. I heard him barking and yelping just around the corner and he limped over to me in excitement, then plonked dowg to the ground. Very restless, but every time he went to stand up he would yelp and drop down again. I had been up an hour prior to this to drop my partner off at work and he was awake and not crying. So I think it possibly may have happened as I was opening the door to greet him.

I called the vet straight away making sure he was laying down so as not to further hurt himself. Within 5 minutes though, its as if nothing ever happened. As we speak, he is outside chasing flies, tail wagging.. haha. No sign of a limp at all. I cancelled the appointment and told them I would call again if anything went wrong again.

Could he have just twisted his ankle slightly? He's booked in for a check up in a few days so I can mention it there if nothing further happens. What do you guys think?

Baillif 12-02-2013 05:22 PM

Who knows could have got a splinter in a paw that was poking when he put weight on it and it worked itself loose.

Stephsullivan 12-02-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 4601449)
Who knows could have got a splinter in a paw that was poking when he put weight on it and it worked itself loose.

I do hope it is something miniscule like that. Just glad to see him okay for now :)

Sp00ks 12-02-2013 07:08 PM

Our Mia did this all the time. She would come crying, holding a front paw up. We would check it out, tell her she was ok and to suck it up. Literally a minute later she was 100 mph again.

Scared us the first couple of times. After that, we would check to make sure she was really ok then a minute later there she went at 100 mph again...

katieliz 12-02-2013 07:23 PM

so...your boy lives outside? all the time???

doggiedad 12-02-2013 08:08 PM

are you leaving your 12 week old pup outside? i think you should go
to the Vet.

huntergreen 12-03-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4602273)
are you leaving your 12 week old pup outside? i think you should go
to the Vet.

i hate when people are judgmental, but doggiedad is spot on in this case if you are letting a 12 week old pup live outside.

Stephsullivan 12-03-2013 04:53 PM

Okay, perhaps I should have expected these replies...
Ryker is fine sleeping outside. I understand in some countries, it is frowned upon. But here in Australia it is an incredibly common thing for the large dog breeds to be kept outside. He is still allowed inside under our supervision, but the landlords don't actually allow us to KEEP him inside.
He is an amazingly healthy and happy pup. Great nature, loves kids. I love my dog, and find it incredibly rude for you to suggest that I need to go to the vet.

If I could have it my way, I would definitely have kept him inside, but that just wasnt an option. The nights here are warm, and when they get cold, of course we will bring him in.

The breeders we bought him off keep their champion dogs outside.

I don't work so he gets lots of attention during the day, The neighborhood is safe, we've locked the gates, there are no dangerous ticks in our area.

I've loved reading over this forum for help and suggestions but clearly, the majority of you are too busy judging me on an irrelevant factor than, actually giving advice on the given problem.

If you honestly think I am harming my dog, tell me how, I'd love to prove you wrong.

Baillif 12-03-2013 04:58 PM

Not sure people knew off hand you were an Aussie. The assumption was you were in the US and aside from a handful of places this time of year it's unfun cold. Def too cold for a pup that young.

Vagus 12-03-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephsullivan (Post 4606593)
I've loved reading over this forum for help and suggestions but clearly, the majority of you are too busy judging me on an irrelevant factor than, actually giving advice on the given problem.

... It was two people. And all they did was actually ask if the dog lives outside.

If the puppy seems happy, then you could just wait for the upcoming check up that you mentioned. You're going to have to go with your intuition