Ear Hematoma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thumbs down Ear Hematoma

Has anyone had an ear hematoma resolve on it's own without causing any strange formation of the ear? Any other methods than surgery?
SeriousConfusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've known a few that did not need surgery, one that needed multiple surgeries....I think all but one resulted in the ear permanently "damaged" (folded, so really damaged in looks only).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

When I called my Vet, they just schedule the surgery for tomorrow. Haven't even looked at it. I'm curious, did those dogs get told by a vet they don't need surgery, or the owner just decided to not do it??
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Onyx had a hematoma a few yrs ago. It blew up pretty big in a short period of time. The vet lance it and then tack it. She recovered fine, her ear still stood. Recently she had the same ear get a hematoma(she gets chronic ear infections from her environmental allergies) and the vet chose to put her on prednisone instead. Her hematoma reabsorbed and her ear still stands, but now it has a kink in the tip. I used arnica gel on the ear several times a day while it was swollen(should have done some orally as well)

She's still on the pred(2 weeks~ 2x's a day, 2 weeks 1x a day. and 2 weeks every other day)I am down to almost a week and we're done with it.

The reason my vet chose not to do it is because Onyx is aggressive and fights the anesthesia. I helped the vet do the first procedure and even with an injection and then gas, she still would hardly go under. My vet said more vets are not doing the lance/tack procedure but putting the dog on pred instead. I don't really believe that!
My SIL's lab just had his ear done Saturday(different vet, and I know his ear was pretty bad).

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you Jane. I am reading conflicting info online about whether it really needs to have surgery or not, but I think it does. Vet said it could be $350-600.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is a simple procedure, the vet puts the dog under, lances and drains the blood, stitches up the ear in a quilt and dog goes on antibiotics. The procedure takes about 10 minutes max(other than the dog going under) and three weeks later stitches are removed. Make sure, if you are having this done that the vet uses colorful suture material and counts how many stitches have been given. When Onyx had hers removed here scar tissue started growing around the sutures and it was difficult to see them. I tried to remove them myself(aggression w/ vetting) but couldn't because they were so deep and my scissors weren't the right ones. I had to run her into the vet to be removed, they of course charged me for that too.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you very much!!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i used zylocaine gel and lanced my self. huge hematoma and all went well. i advise not to do this.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rainer had one last year. Vet cleaned out the ear with some gel-type ear solution (I think the hematoma may have broke a little while he was cleaning as I remember there being blood, but I don't really remember) and prescribed Malotic ointment, Cefpodoxime, and Carprofen. We applied the ointment 2-3 times a day I believe, and the hematoma resolved itself within a week or two. There was no damage. His ear will "break" (it droops to the side) from time to time...I just clean it with "the purple stuff" solution and it goes right back up.

Kitty Cat Monsters
Ashes- AKA "Queen Bia"
Mish Mish - Mr. Cuddle Bug
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.