Foaming and Seizures - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Foaming and Seizures

I have an 8-year old female GS, Schatze, who means everything to me. The past 3-4 months she has suddenly started having a lot of problems. It began with urinary incontinence. I tried D-mannose powder, but that did not work so we started her on hormones and they seem to be working. Shortly after that she started having what appeared to be leg cramps/muscle spasms. One night they were so bad that every 30 minutes or so she would start yelping and running throughout the room. Around 5 am the yelping finally subsided. We took her to the vet again and he prescribed an aspirin to give to her when her hips act up. I know that GS's get hip problems, especially around 8 years of age but it just seems like all of this came on so suddenly and in my opinion did not appear to be a hip problem.

Three days ago I noticed that she was foaming at the mouth. I saw her trying to eat a plant in our backyard, Monkey Grass. I have seen mixed reviews about whether or not it is toxic for dogs. Has anyone heard of this plant negatively affecting dogs? This afternoon when I was taking her for a walk she began to have a seizure. It began with her acting as if she was trying to throw something up, then she started foaming at the mouth. She soon fell to the ground and her whole body tightened up and had muscle spasms for at least 5 minutes. A bystander witnessed and helped and we were finally able to get her to stand. Since this has never happened before I immediately took her to the vet. By the time she got to the vet she was frantic whining and running in circles. 4 hours later she has just now stopped whining and pacing throughout our house. A vet tech quickly said that she was fine and there is nothing that they can do. We made an appt. for Monday morning, but I was hoping someone else might have experienced something similar to this? I looked up seizures online and saw that in epileptic seizures the dog will kick their legs, but when it is due to toxins they will tighten their legs up and not be able to move them. The latter is what happened to Schatze. I know I might be a paranoid momma but my gut tells me this is something more than a random seizure or hip problems. Could all of these symptoms be connected? Perhaps those earlier muscle spasms were actually miniature seizures? Any advice or similar experiences? Or any advice about what to do to calm her down after a seizure? She was pacing the house and whining for at least 4 hours after the incident. She is just now laying down.

Last edited by SchatzeDog; 11-30-2013 at 07:37 PM.
SchatzeDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't have specific advice but if when my dogs get older and are sick i'd give a lot of Vitamin C( building up the level over time), Kelp for source of Iodine( all animals need it), and some molasses in case of sugar deficiency related seizures. Also add food rich in melatonin like rice, olive oil, bananas to aid healing. These can't hurt any ways.

I hear people give something sweet to help after a seizure, which leads me to think that the seizures themselves are related to deficiency of sugars.

Also consider can wifi have any effect on your dogs health. For instance if the dogs bed is beside the router then the microwaves can possibly effect it. This may not be relevant but is worth researching.

Last edited by MadLab; 11-30-2013 at 08:03 PM.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

My gsd has siezures due to beatings he took but with kane when a siezure is coming o he walk towards you but cant walk in straight line bit like hes drunk we normally lay him down they tend to do what we call paddle with there legs and some havs accidents during siezure a d kane tends to tighten his jaw and whines I usually cuddle him and stroke and talk to him yes leaves them tired and restles I give kane a mixture of scullcap and valerian not harmful its herbal but tends to have calming effect so relaxes them enough to sleep dorwest herbes do it for dogs keep eye out but if down to toxins wont have anymore siezures but if down something else then wont be long before another follows uzually week or so and if unlucky matter of days I pray for your sake she has no more cause when kane has his breaks my heart something il never get use to hes been having them since he was 2 and hes 8 half now

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

She just had another seizure. That's the 2nd one in a few hours. Is it strange for her to already have two when she has never had them prior to today?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

She needs to go to the vet for a full exam and blood panel. There are a number of things that can cause seizures and the other symptoms. Epilepsy is one possibility, but probably not the most likely as idiopathic epilepsy is usually diagnosed at a much younger age. But it's still possible. At 8 years old, the seizures and other symptoms are probably secondary symptoms to a different disorder, with thyroid imbalance and brain tumor being the most likely. Tick disease is also possible.

There are a variety of medications that can help with seizures, but the first thing that needs to be determined is if the seizures are epileptic in nature or if they are a symptom of something else going on and it's that underlying cause that needs to be treated. I'd start with a full blood work up, including thyroid, as that would cover a range of possible causes, including toxins.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Chris Wild thank you for your response! She has an appointment at 8 am on Monday. Hopefully they do not worsen before then. We just had bloodwork done a month ago when her incontinence began, but we will have them redo it.

The second seizure was a little shorter at 2 minutes. The post seizure seems to be the worst part...
Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

For dogs to be very uncoordinated, disoriented, agitated and even panicked after a seizure isn't uncommon. Just try to keep her in a safe location during and after the seizures so she can't hurt herself.

Try to keep a log of the seizures, including the time of day, how long after she ate, excercised, etc.. and anything else that might have been unusual around the time the seizure occurred. Also accurately time their duration and log that. Make sure you're using a watch/clock to note how long they are and not guessing. 30 seconds can seem like forever when a dog is having a seizure. If they really are 2-5 minutes in length, that is very, very long for a seizure to last and will be very important information for your vet. If the bloodwork comes back clear you may want to ask your vet for a referral to a canine neurologist unless your vet has a lot of knowledge/experience with seizure disorders (which most GP vets don't).

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

imho, everything you have mentioned is seizure related. muscle soreness and spasms are all part of it after the seizure. i would see your vet or 24 hour evet asap, sudden onset at age 8concerns me. not familiar with monkey weed though.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchatzeDog View Post
I have an 8-year old female GS, Schatze, who means everything to me. The past 3-4 months she has suddenly started having a lot of problems. It began with urinary incontinence. I tried D-mannose powder, but that did not work so we started her on hormones and they seem to be working. Shortly after that she started having what appeared to be leg cramps/muscle spasms. One night they were so bad that every 30 minutes or so she would start yelping and running throughout the room. Around 5 am the yelping finally subsided. We took her to the vet again and he prescribed an aspirin to give to her when her hips act up. I know that GS's get hip problems, especially around 8 years of age but it just seems like all of this came on so suddenly and in my opinion did not appear to be a hip problem.

What else was she receiving at the time - did she get a vaccination (do you vaccinate annually, tri-annually, or just rabies as req'd by law)? Does she receive flea/tick prevention? HW prevention - was a new type scripted? Oral, spot-on or both?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with the advice of Chris Wild. Full work up, then if nothing shows see a neurologist. I've had human experiences with seizures, but not canine. As Chris wrote, these are probably idiopathic (no known cause). The best diagnostic test we took for our human was an EEG, where the doctor stuck little sensors to the scalp and measured brain activity in each lobe.

Our human had petite mal seizures, no limbs thrashing, but it left the person extremely exhausted and angry after the seizure and they often vomited afterwards. Stress and lack of sleep can exacerbate the seizures. So until you see the vet, help your dog relax, don't over exercise it. I would not take the advice about giving vitamin C until you see your vet. Unlike humans, dogs can make their own vit C and you don't want to overload your dog's system without medical advice.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.