Fostering a SICK GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fostering a SICK GSD

Hi, I'm new here. I'm also new to the GSD breed. I need advice. I found a GSD at my local humane society, and wanted to adopt him. They wouldn't let me adopt him, but offered to let me foster him as he had an ear infection, and he wouldn't be available for adoption until this was cleared up. On top of the ear infection (outer ear), he is SIGNIFICANTLY under weight. They estimate his age to be 3 years old. Well, he only weighs 50 pounds! They said he was healthy as far as they knew, that he just needed to gain weight. We fostered him for two week, took him back to be assessed and he had not gained any weight. I knew he wouldn't have, because although he eats (scarfs it down), he has diarrhea several times a day. A lot of it at a time. I Fostered him for another four days, and he ate his leash, yes his leash, so I took him in, they kept him overnight for observation. They called the next day and said he was fine and not pooping any foreign objects and was cleared to come home with me.... If he hadn't expelled any of the leash then that meant it was still inside of him. I'm not sure they understood that. I brought him home, he has pooped bits of leash on several occasions. Anyway, I took him to a "real" vet at my own cost, and he ran blood tests, and the results came back that his liver enzymes are elevated and he has low cholesterol. He said he suspected that Brody had EPI but would need to run more tests. I called the humane society and they said they would go ahead and run the EPI test, so I took him there since I feel they should have already run all of these tests considering how emaciated he is. I'm still waiting for the results...

Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting if these tests come back positive for EPI? I'm not sure they'll even let him be adopted if they are positive, but if he is, I want to be prepared. Please help me help Brody. Fostering a SICK GSD-imageuploadedbypg-free1385747509.757016.jpgFostering a SICK GSD-imageuploadedbypg-free1385747536.127463.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
hockeychick22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Bump for help here
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have no experience with EPI. I just hope that poor little guy gets better and gains weight. So skinny....

I'm glad you're helping him.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have not had a dog with EPI, but I have known others that do. They use enzymes that you put on the food and certain types of food - sometimes a limited ingredient diet or grain free.
There are some people on here that have had dogs with EPI so hopefully they can give you more ideas.
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also hope some EPI people chime in.

I don't understand this shelter! They are willing to let you foster and take care of him but not ADOPT HIM??? It doesn't sound like this shelter is to "up" on what's going on with him or would even have tested him had you not told them what YOUR vet said!

I hope that if he does have EPI, that they won't put him down

Thank you for trying to help this poor boy

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, y'all. I called the HS again and they said their vet was going to call me "sometime" today with the results. So far, no call. I'm so frustrated with them. When I explained how frustrating it is that no one seems helping him, the receptionists answer was, "Well, you're more than welcome to bring him back." Unbelievable.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is a blood test for EPI called a TLI. Last time I had it done for my dog it cost about $100. There is a good website www.epi4dogs.com to learn more about the condition. Typically, EPI can be treated with enzymes and special diet. Having dealt with many rescues and shelters, my guess is they will probably not allow a dog to be adopted if it is sick or injured. If EPI is diagnosed, they will probably allow him to be adopted as it is a chronic condition (like epilepsy) which can be treated but never really "cured." Good for you trying to help this guy. He is skinny, but a handsome fella anyway. One last note, if you do need to treat him for EPI, www.enzymediane.com is a great source for them and for information.
howlk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you, howlk9 for the links. I'll definitely check them out! And he IS a handsome fella, isn't he?!

Old 11-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you for helping Brody and I am sorry that he is sick. I have an EPI girl and would be glad to help you.

Here is a really great website that has a ton of information on EPI and the members are great and always ready to help: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

If he is positive for EPI you might want to check on getting his enzymes from Enzyme Diane...much cheaper! Enzyme Diane -

Many EPI dogs need to be treated for SIBO in the beginning and some struggle with it for life. They may also need to be supplemented with B12 -very important!

Let us know what the test results when you get them.

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

What a beautiful boy he deserves a home and you obviously have fallen maybe if you tell them your willing yo adopt regardless they hopefully will let you good look

sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.