TPLO surgery Ranger Tore his ACL - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default TPLO surgery Ranger Tore his ACL

Ranger has torn his acl playing fetch. He jumped up to catch the ball and Zoey collided with him. He yelped and limped a little, but he was jumping around a second later like nothing happened, so DW, (who was the one playing with them) thought maybe a muscle tear or sprain. Just got back from the vet and they say, if I understood correctly, that he tore one part of it. He goes in next week and then I guess its physical therapy after that, Poor guy. I know some of you have been through this, Onyxgirl and a few others, any tips in dealing with this?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

No experience with this, but sending thoughts and well wishes for a speedy recovery for Ranger!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TxQuax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My small 30 pound dog has a partially torn ACL. They put him on anti inflammatory for a while and some kind of chinese herb. They also want him on crate rest. He's a high energy dog. Crate rest is difficult with him.

I know there is a surgery for it. We haven't hit that road yet.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxQuax View Post
No experience with this, but sending thoughts and well wishes for a speedy recovery for Ranger!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
My small 30 pound dog has a partially torn ACL. They put him on anti inflammatory for a while and some kind of chinese herb. They also want him on crate rest. He's a high energy dog. Crate rest is difficult with him.

I know there is a surgery for it. We haven't hit that road yet.
Rangers pretty active. We've restricted his exercise lately, but nowhere near the level the vet asked us to follow. Leashed potty breaks, leashed before he exits his crate, etc... He has a good off switch, but this is going to be hard to keep him down for this long.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Ranger has torn his acl playing fetch. He jumped up to catch the ball and Zoey collided with him. He yelped and limped a little, but he was jumping around a second later like nothing happened, so DW, (who was the one playing with them) thought maybe a muscle tear or sprain. Just got back from the vet and they say, if I understood correctly, that he tore one part of it. He goes in next week and then I guess its physical therapy after that, Poor guy. I know some of you have been through this, Onyxgirl and a few others, any tips in dealing with this?
If he tore it, I doubt he would be jumping around like nothing happened.

He would be flattened and/or have his leg off the ground when standing and/or pulling up as he walked or ran. Any of this?

Traumeel homeopathic drops...10 every hr. 3-4 x's and then admin. 10 drops in his water. Curcumin (tumuric, not the grocery spice however), boswallia, devils claw, yucca are all anti-inflam herbs.

TPLO surgery can wait while you see if a little TLC doesn't do the trick first. Also a brace may be helpful...and necessary if surgery is done, as 60% of dogs tear the other knee within 1 yr. - this is due to strain put on, compensating for injured knee. I would look at physio, massage, acupuncture, and noted herbs first. AND bone stock, and NEM
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
If he tore it, I doubt he would be jumping around like nothing happened.

He would be flattened and/or have his leg off the ground when standing and/or pulling up as he walked or ran. Any of this?

Traumeel homeopathic drops...10 every hr. 3-4 x's and then admin. 10 drops in his water. Curcumin (tumuric, not the grocery spice however), boswallia, devils claw, yucca are all anti-inflam herbs.

TPLO surgery can wait while you see if a little TLC doesn't do the trick first. Also a brace may be helpful...and necessary if surgery is done, as 60% of dogs tear the other knee within 1 yr. - this is due to strain put on, compensating for injured knee. I would look at physio, massage, acupuncture, and noted herbs first. AND bone stock, and NEM
This all happened under DW watch, I just asked her for a recap as it been a couple weeks since the incident. She says it wasn't just a yelp, but he cried out and had difficulty getting back up. When I got home a couple hours later he was limping, but wanted to play fetch with Tuke and Zoey. We have kept him low key all this time and he started looking better. I brought him outside while I was cutting firewood, he played with our other gsds for a bit, nothing too crazy and he started limping pretty bad again. We've been through this same scenario 3 times, he looks like he's mending and any exercise at all brings the limp back. That's why we took him in today. They don't think its completely torn, but either way he still needs surgery.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog occasionally pulls his leg up when he runs, but sometimes will run like nothing is wrong. We noticed a few weeks a go he was sitting weird. Kind of sweeping the leg under and not bending his knee and keeping weight off of it. That's when we took him in. He will still run like nothing is wrong at times and jumps out the doggy door.

Yes, he is on crate rest most of the day. Sometimes he is happy resting outside his crate on the doggy bed. Then a siren will go by or a cat goes in our backyard and off he goes. Then back to the crate.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Molly had a TPLO 6-7 months ago. I'll get back to you tomorrow with details. bedtime now.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Molly had tplo due to partial tear of ligament. She never had a yelp or moment of pain where we could say, "oh she's injured". She would start to limp after rising from rest or sleep, like her leg fell asleep. This went on for about 6 weeks, she'd have periods of no limping, then it would start up again. Looking back, she was either injured getting too exuberant on our trainer's agility equipment or playing with some other dogs on wet grass and slipping a couple times.

I did a lot of searching online whether to try and rest her vs. surgery. Basically what I read was for larger breeds, if you want a dog that can walk across the living room OK, then skip surgery, but if you are very active like us, go with the surgery. Our vet tech has a 10 yr old Lab/GSD mix that Molly sometimes plays with in the park. He had TPLO when he was 5yrs old. His dog looks great! He runs a lot, no limp, I thought he was only 5 yrs old, not 10.

After the surgery, we kept Molly in a 4x4 e-pen in our living room for 8 weeks. We slept on the sofa next to her. For the 3rd month we kept her in the living room. She is well trained and we could carefully walk her out to our back patio and we'd say, "bed" and she'd stay on her bed outside. We wanted her to get fresh air and sunshine. To keep her calm, we covered our doorbell and put a "quiet" sign on the front door so solicitors or UPS would not agitate her. The first day home from surgery, I took photos of the surgical site so I could compare it in case it got red, inflamed or swollen. She had no issues with that, just some excess fluid that lasted for 2 days.

Our surgeon did not order physical therapy. We were strict about keeping Molly off stairs and following the surgeon's exercise schedule. We had a couple setbacks, one was fractured tibia that healed on its own (5% chance of this happening), the other was limping again in month 3 post-op, but after another period of exercise restriction she recovered fine. She had a good amount of muscle atrophy and for a while found it hard to balance getting the recommended exercise and being scared about overdoing things. She gained a little weight and had to diet for 2 months.

Our vet tech saw Molly at the park last week and said she looks great. So hang in there and have lots of patience. The surgery will be harder on you than your dog.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

@Gretchen, your situation sounds very familiar, except my wife witnessed the actual incident. When I came home he wanted to play, so I wasn't sure how serious it was. I agree, it's going to be harder on us than him, I get up on weekdays @4am, but like to sleep in an extra hour on the weekends. Ranger decided to give me the stare at 4 plus a few whimpers this morning to go out and enjoy the 16 degree morning. The vet said to keep him tethered so one of us had to be out there with him. I usually let them out and watch them from the kitchen window, luckily the morning potty break is just a few minutes.

I have a few questions, did Molly stay in the pen all day minus potty breaks? Ranger is 92 lbs @15 months. He has very thick legs/head, you can easily feel his ribs and the vet said he looks great, however for this surgery, ranger should loose a few pounds, keep him as lean as possible. I wouldn't think anything of this if we were talking about Tuke as she could loose a few pounds, but Ranger is truly lean already, I know every pound counts, but is this healthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.