Pup LIMPING! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Pup LIMPING!

My 6 month pup is noticeably limping. It is his right front leg. When he walks I can definitely see the limp but if I throw a ball he runs after it full speed and doesn't look in pain. It came out of nowhere. I didn't notice any injury. It's been about two days. Do you think it's pano. Or a strain or should I take him to the vet?
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Take him in and get him checked out. My guy has been going days off and on holding up his left front and limping around. At first the vet thought it was a sprain because it started after he did a flying leap off the couch to tackle my adult female and she dodged him last minute. he hit the floor pretty hard and was limping after that. But he's back to babying that leg so he goes in for xrays on the first... though when the vet checked his leg and applied pressure on the leg bones, he wasn't thrilled so we're 95% sure its pano. The xrays will tell us if it is or if something else is going on.

Get him checked that way you can at least help ease the pain. Thing I've learned with pano is it can be sudden and you'll notice or it can be aggravated and that's when you notice a problem. With Dax the first time, it only started after he did something dopey. this time he didn't do anything.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

It could be pano...but it could be a sprain, break, splinter, toenail etc. If after a few days it isn't improving it's always best to get it checked out. Dogs are stoic - don't like to show pain. My boy has had two tplos and he would limp on the leg 24/7 except when he'd run at full speed to play with the neighbor dog. So, just because they run doesn't mean they aren't in pain. My first GSD limped around the house crying like a baby one day...piece of kibble between his paw pads - they're all different

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
RiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Course vet visit to be sure but probably Pano.

Leerburg | Panosteitis or PANO

Panosteitis in Young Dogs

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

i also think its pano. i feel bad for him because he still comes limping to the door when i come home and he whines a lot because of the pain. is there anything holistic i could give him or should i go to the vet for rimadyl?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Go to the vet but stay away from rimadyl. If that is the drug of choice at your vet make sure you get liver tests done prior and one week post start.

RiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

My 5.5 month male shepherd has the same issue in his right front leg. He has been this way for at least a month. It's a "self-limiting disease" which means it will go away on its own.. I read the vets dictionary but I'm sorry I can't recall the name, it did not say anything about the "pano" you have mentioned. It started with "En" and then something "itis" at the end. He is on Tramadol for pain and Meloxacam for inflammation. Meloxacam is a human arthritis medication. He does seem to feeling pain. Curious to see what others have experienced
CarylBeethe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

it was pano. lasted around 12 days. verified it by squeezing his leg bone and he whined. his energy was also low. gave him pain medication only when the pain seemed intolerable. his limp was really severe but once it went away he was back to running 110 mph.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

My 7 month old, Sarah, is going through similar issues; limping on her right front leg, favoring it, and holding it up some. I took her to the vet, and after a week of anti-inflammatory pills, they took x-rays. Nothing looked unusual, so just pain pills as needed. I think she hurt it from digging. Now she limps, if she digs. We are trying to get her to stop digging, but so far haven't found a good way to make her stop. Any suggestions?

sheplvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheplvr View Post
My 7 month old, Sarah, is going through similar issues; limping on her right front leg, favoring it, and holding it up some. I took her to the vet, and after a week of anti-inflammatory pills, they took x-rays. Nothing looked unusual, so just pain pills as needed. I think she hurt it from digging. Now she limps, if she digs. We are trying to get her to stop digging, but so far haven't found a good way to make her stop. Any suggestions?

Put her on a leash or long line in the yard.
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.