My Puppy had Diarrhea from 3 months to 8 months...Finally solved - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Puppy had Diarrhea from 3 months to 8 months...Finally solved

I dont know if I am submitting this thread correctly or not but I wanted to share our story about our GSD puppy Scout in hopes to help someone else and save a TON of $$$ in vet bills!

When we got our puppy from the breeder her stool was completely normal. Our puppy loved to swim and we go to lots of lakes here in Texas... in turn she got Giardia and thats when the issues started. We went to the vet and got her on panacur... she still had diarrehea and vomiting in the mornings on occasion. back to the vet we go, got her on metroconozol... same story, went back to the vet and the vet wanted to run blood test for pancreatic insufficiency among other test. this cost about $700 alone. Our puppy was not eating much and losing weight. Vet seemed to not have a clue what it could be and wanted to put her on prescription science diet, we followed instruction... this food is trash, she didnt like the food and her stool improved but it was soft slightly runny and very light brown... the color of the food. vet wanted to keep her on metro, it seemed that our puppy had been on medicine her whole life, there were a ton of pills that we had to shove down her throat.

about 3 months of this and we decided to switch vets. the new vet gave us the same GUESSES and said the tests that were run were good and would like to run one of the tests AGAIN for pancreatic insufficiency. I realized i needed to take action myself, the one thing this vet said (which i thought originally) was the far out chance it could be food allergy and he wanted to get her on a different kind of prescription food that his clinic pushes. He also wanted to put her on tylan. I took to the forum, got our puppy on BLUE SALMON AND POTATO, and KOCCI FREE an anti parasite medicine. It took about 3 days and her stool is back to normal, eating well, gaining weight!

NO TYLAN, METRO, PANACUR, SCIENCE DIET or any other food the vet pushes.

This was part me venting about the vets and part me being excited that our pupp is healthy again!! I hope this helps someone in the same situation.
ZScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Same thing happened to me. Kocci free saved her life. She will always have effects from the months of malnutrition like poor teeth. But she's healthy now. I tell everyone about kocci free.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have a similar story as well. Glad you finally got to the root of it.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=ZScout;4355554and KOCCI FREE an anti parasite medicine. It took about 3 days and her stool is back to normal, eating well, gaining weight!

[/QUOTE]

I just looked up this Kocci Free. What is the dosage...how many drops? In what(water/food)? for how long? I'm interested, very interested. Thanks.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Lombardo, I ordered the bottle from amazon, it is Kocci Free by amber technology. Directions are on the bottle but our puppy weighs about 55 lbs and we give her 4ml 4 times a day. It comes with a syringe and I just open her mouth and shoot the liquid in her mouth. She doesnt seem to mind the taste at all.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I ordered the bigger bottle last night. Both of my GSD'a are going through a bout of something and that can never get diagnosed by a vet. Metronidazole can't be given all the time. They have even brought up EPI with my female, but I don't believe it's that at all. They are basing it on the fact that she is thin, but she has always been that way. She hit one and has stated at 68 ponds since then.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Help on food..

Our GSP is 7-8 months old
Firts bag we science diet per vet (got rid of it trajner said not good)
Second bag nutro ultra puppy (good and she finished it)
Second bag her atool is very very soft.. went to vet prescribe antibiotics and antiphasmatic med didn't work.
So I decided to get her nutro natural puppy large breed ( she is 46 lbs)
Maybe cause I thought she is not getting much on regular puppy food still very soft soft everytime I pick it up it falls apart ( sory for this info)

Her stool is still very soft..so you tuink she might be allergic to it???
Should I get that food that u got???

DaisyDee
daisydee68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

What is Kocci free??
Is that a dog food or meds?
Lexi ( GSD NAME)
CHECKED negative on intestinal parasites.
daisydee68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would try the blue salmon and potato for sure. I am not sure if it was that or the kocci free that solved the problem. The kocci free is an anti parasitic as our dog had giardia really early on. We switched her food to blue salmon and potato when we started the kocci free and problem solved. Her stool is normal in form and color. The vet thought she had intestine issues also and they wanted a biopsy of her intestine! But that Killy we didn't need to do that. Our puppy had always been very thin too... She was never a big eater but she began to lose weight which had us worried. Now she is cleaning her bowl of food on most occasion... I think mainly because she feels better. She is 8months and about 58 lbs now.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Lombardo... Our vet said the same thing. They wanted to test for epi a second time even after the first time was clean. What kind of food do you have her on? We tried many kinds of food too. I never thought she'd get over it,I got the big bottle of kocci free too. Supposed to have the. On it 10 days. We're about to take ours off this week. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.