Comfortis questions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Comfortis questions?

Hello experienced members,

Im thinking about starting my gsd 6 months old on comfortis because Advantage II stopped working for me. My situation is that every weekend I bring my dog to go to my boyfriends house ( he has 4 dogs ) and his house and dogs has a mild flea infestation which is really difficult to get rid of and I think they've given up. Initially advantage II was working on my gsd but 2 weeks later the effectiveness weakened and my dog developed severe allergy to the flea bites. So now my question is if I put my dog on comfortis, will it help him while he is staying at my bfs house over the weekend? Please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
xu701zero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I forgot to also mention , because of my plan to put my gsd on comfortis, long term speaking, will the fleas in my bfs house become immune to comfortis from my dog?

Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's not matter of immunity. Your advantage may very well be working but if there is an infestation you will still see fleas no matter what product you're using. It takes months sometimes to get rid of fleas. Comfortis I think would be best for your dog with an allergy because there is no chance to apply it incorrectly or have it stripped off etc. in order to NOT see fleas the house needs to be treated and all pets including indoor only cats NEED to be treated every month or at least 3 months. And that's to get rid of current infestations. You should get knockout or siphotrol spray as spray all upholstery, pet bedding, carpeting etc. anywhere where fleas can lay eggs. And the month period is because there are 4 different life cycles of the flea. (The pupae stage I believe is the one that cannot be killed). So basically you're waiting out and killing all the fleas as the life cycle continues and new fleas etc are hatching out. Vacuuming needs to be done daily and vacuum emptied outside until it is under control. Comfortis will help but may not keep every single flea from biting. Even if the flea dies almost right away, if it gets the chance to bite the saliva will be in your dogs skin and with flea allergies that is all it takes to make your pet extremely sensitive and itchy.

jlhorowitz36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a dog who used to have flea allergy dermatitis. Comfortis & Trifexis (or a generic spinosad replacement) are the only types of medications that work for our family. I have six dogs, five of which are on Trifexis. As for worries about seizures and death etc, our clinic has hundreds and hundreds of clients on Spinosad products. Only a handfull have ever had issues; all but one were vomiting after being given the medication, one was a seizure trigger in an already seizure-prone GSD.

jlhorowitz36 is almost right; Comfortis actually prevents the salivary exchange. Program or Sentinel does not. That is why Spinosad products are recommended for pets with FAD.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Earlier this year I had the worst flea infestation I've had in many many years. It took me months to get it under control.

I used Comfortis and Frontline Plus. I also sprayed the house a couple times and I had the yard sprayed. I tried the Australian version of Triflexis but stopped using it and just used Comfortis by itself along with another brand of HW med.

Finally, I've gone a few months without any itching or indication of fleas and I hope and pray the fleas remain under control, however, I've used Frontline Plus a couple times after I thought all was well "...just in case" any were still around.

NOTE: Slider can't take Comfortis ... it gave him a seizure ... so that may have been one of the reasons it took so long to get the problem under control ... guess I'll never know.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for replying

I just wanted to clarify that while my dog will be on comfortis, my bf's dog will not be (because they've just given up on treating the flea problem, they can't seem to get rid of it), i'm only there on the weekends, so I guess what I'm trying to say is will my dog be infested by fleas when I take him home on Sunday?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

It won't matter what flea product you use if you continue to take you're dog into flea infested areas. The fleas will die/become sterile etc. after contact but they will continue to bite your pooch while in that house. Your house however should remain protected while using flea prevention products.
As long as your dog is being bit by fleas the allergy issues will continue.

Someone please correct me if I an wrong.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

You're correct. And I would either tell my boyfriend to either get rid of the fleas (it isn't that hard) or I would quit taking my dog over there. It isn't even healthy for you.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
As long as your dog is being bit by fleas the allergy issues will continue.

Someone please correct me if I an wrong.
As I stated, spinosad is quite effective for dogs with FAD. I lived in Savannah, GA and we had the WORST flea problems I have ever dealt with. It was Comfortis on the first of the month and a topical on day 15, repeat. We treated the house and our yard but we went to the dog park every day, went hiking, visited folks frequently... you get the idea. Impossible to control all the areas my dogs were traveling.

My bitch was so bad that we went to a dermatologist. Missing hair, in a cone because she was so itchy. On once a month Program at that time, house and yard treated. We tried Benadryl 3x day and no improvement. Blood allergy testing showed significant flea, dust mite, and food storage mite allergies. No food or plant allergies. At this point, I was handed a six pack of Comfortis; my first interaction with it. My initial reaction was "HOLY HECK! Expensive stuff!" But I've NEVER looked back. ONLY with the addition of Comfortis were we able to see any sort of improvement, and it was a complete 180. We still went the same places, we made it through the spring, summer, and fall... and no reaction. Comfortis COMPLETELY eliminated her reaction to fleas.

Unless I am mistaken, spinosad paralyzes the central nervous system of the flea that bites. So yes, it has to bite. But it does not have the opportunity to make a full fluid exchange, and thus it does not cause the dermatological reaction that a flea bite with another product will still allow. It takes longer to control a premises infestation because it is not a FGR/IGR (Flea/insect growth regulator) and thus does not prevent the fleas that do not bite from breeding. Used in conjunction with other products (like Siphotrol) it usually takes a few weeks to see significant improvement. With just Comfortis and no introduction of new fleas it takes about 3 months to clear for our clients.

It's disturbing to me that someone is 'giving up' on their pet having fleas. That's horrible, awful. They're not doing the RIGHT things and they probably just don't want to spend the money doing it properly. Please try to help that dog's owner understand how horrible its life is while being ravaged by fleas. Get a large colony of mosquitos and let them loose in their bedroom. Repeat weekly until the person understands what it feels like to be 'flea infested' from the human point of view.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
As I stated, spinosad is quite effective for dogs with FAD. I lived in Savannah, GA and we had the WORST flea problems I have ever dealt with. It was Comfortis on the first of the month and a topical on day 15, repeat. We treated the house and our yard but we went to the dog park every day, went hiking, visited folks frequently... you get the idea. Impossible to control all the areas my dogs were traveling.

My bitch was so bad that we went to a dermatologist. Missing hair, in a cone because she was so itchy. On once a month Program at that time, house and yard treated. We tried Benadryl 3x day and no improvement. Blood allergy testing showed significant flea, dust mite, and food storage mite allergies. No food or plant allergies. At this point, I was handed a six pack of Comfortis; my first interaction with it. My initial reaction was "HOLY HECK! Expensive stuff!" But I've NEVER looked back. ONLY with the addition of Comfortis were we able to see any sort of improvement, and it was a complete 180. We still went the same places, we made it through the spring, summer, and fall... and no reaction. Comfortis COMPLETELY eliminated her reaction to fleas.

Unless I am mistaken, spinosad paralyzes the central nervous system of the flea that bites. So yes, it has to bite. But it does not have the opportunity to make a full fluid exchange, and thus it does not cause the dermatological reaction that a flea bite with another product will still allow. It takes longer to control a premises infestation because it is not a FGR/IGR (Flea/insect growth regulator) and thus does not prevent the fleas that do not bite from breeding. Used in conjunction with other products (like Siphotrol) it usually takes a few weeks to see significant improvement. With just Comfortis and no introduction of new fleas it takes about 3 months to clear for our clients.

It's disturbing to me that someone is 'giving up' on their pet having fleas. That's horrible, awful. They're not doing the RIGHT things and they probably just don't want to spend the money doing it properly. Please try to help that dog's owner understand how horrible its life is while being ravaged by fleas. Get a large colony of mosquitos and let them loose in their bedroom. Repeat weekly until the person understands what it feels like to be 'flea infested' from the human point of view.
I understand and fully agree with what you are saying, because every weekend I'm over at his house, I get 10 new flea bites on my body.(I hate it, I started using Preparation H to treat the itching, since nothing else is effective anymore) I don't know why the fleas love me so much, but my bf and his mom doesn't seem to get bit at all. I sleep in the same bed as my bf and next morning I would be itchy as **** and discover I got bit 5 times, while he is like untouched. (I came up with a theory that perhaps it's because his mom smokes alot so her blood is poisonous, and he just sweats alot, so it's probably a repellent, but I'm a clean freak). But this issue has been ongoing for the last 2 years, I have seen them fog the house on many occasions, but it just doesn't seem to work for them. Honestly, I agree with what everyone is saying, they're really not trying hard enough. They don't really have house hygiene like I do at my own house. Today I told my bf that I'm going to take over the flea problem by making him buy 12 months supply of Comfortis for 4 of his dogs, so this will allow 3 months of comfortis for each dog. I'm also going to buy Capstar and what I plan to do is when all the drug arrives, I'm going to bomb the house and spray the yard, give his dogs capstar, and then follow it by Comfortis. I really hope this time it will work Let me know what you guys think of my plan. (Suggest if I should increase comfortis to 4 months, or re-fog the house while the dog is on comfortis at a regular interval, etc etc)

P.S I feel bad for his 4 dogs... one of them is like loosing hair, always bits his tail til it gets bloody, and the rest of the 3 dogs just keep biting themselves nonstop. What really gets me frustrated is his mom is delusional, she keeps telling me it's in my head, that their house has no fleas. and how her dogs are not infested. I just want to shake her when she tells me stuff like this, I'm not crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.