Scratching and itching, very sudden - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scratching and itching, very sudden

I know there's a lot of topics about itching already, I've read a bunch, but still looking for opinions and ideas. Hugo started scratching 5 or 6 days ago, and it seemed to come about so quickly. He never seemed anyway to jusybs ratch a little, it was just suddenly scratching like crazy. We go for a walk and he keeps stopping to scratch. Not sure it's related, but the last 2 nights he has had diarrhea and went on the floor, he has never done this before. He has been eating TOTW, the fish one, forget the name. He has always been fine with it. I started giving him Fish Oil, not sure how long that takes to start helping if it is the problem, I used to give it to him but haven't on a while.

I don't believe that it's fleas, I don't see signs of them, and he is on flea and tick preventative. I know it's still a possibility, but I don't see the signs.

I'm thinking a vet visit is in our very near future, but still wanted some input.
jjk454ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not sure your location, but pollens are pretty high right now. He could have some environmental allergies. Is he scratching at his ears/chewing or licking his paws?
I'd take him to the vet due to the diarrhea, if it continues. I'd give a probiotic/digestive enzyme with the meals and you could give slippery elm bark 1/2 hour before feeding. Slippery elm helps coat the digestive tract to help it heal.

Vitamin C helps support the immune system, is a natural antihistamine and reduces inflammation. I'd start him on human grade C(natural, not synthetic) if he checks out fine at the vet~or after he's over the digestive issue. Start with a low dose/500mg and over a week double it(500mg am and pm) Then if he handles that ok(gut sometimes needs to adjust) you can go higher if necessary.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-03-2013 at 11:32 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you think it may be related to something youre feeding him, put him on chicken (bland) and canned pumpkin for while. Someone from this board recommended this to me and its worked really well. If youre not giving him anything new, then Im not sure what it could be. Has he had anything new, any new brand of treats?

We had a similar situation that started a few months back. Vet thought it was fleas, never saw any to be for sure. They gave our girl a steroid shot, which stops the itching, so we thought, okay must have been fleas. A month or so later (we also medicated against fleas monthly) itching came back. Her fur started falling out in clumps and she would get white flakes on her back and itch constantly. We seem to think she has a intolerance / allergy to grains and shes been doing much better lately. The oatmeal baths were not helping! hah.

Good luck with your boy, I knew this stuff can drive you crazy.
RIP Asker Lynn - Pit Mix - 5/1/2002-9/7/2013
kelseycub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I posted too soon, I've been checking for fleas over the past several days, and I found one today. Then I thought to check the cat, he is white and they were easier to see, and I found a number of them. Looks like that must be it.

Now to figure out how to get them off the dog, the cat, and out of the house.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I posted too soon, I've been checking for fleas over the past several days, and I found one today. Then I thought to check the cat, he is white and they were easier to see, and I found a number of them. Looks like that must be it.

Now to figure out how to get them off the dog, the cat, and out of the house.
Well, best bet to to flea bath and flea treat both of them. Wash any blankets or cloth toys. If you need to flea bomb u can board them for a day, shouldnt be too expensive. Our vet said that pets are very commonly allergic to flea saliva. Hopefully thats whats going on.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseycub View Post
Well, best bet to to flea bath and flea treat both of them. Wash any blankets or cloth toys. If you need to flea bomb u can board them for a day, shouldnt be too expensive. Our vet said that pets are very commonly allergic to flea saliva. Hopefully thats whats going on.

Thanks,

I gave them both baths last night, but it wasn't real effective. Any suggestions on oroducts for the dog, cat, or house?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

did you use a flea shampoo? find out what kind of flea shampoo
is ok to use on a pup.

Quote:
Thanks,

I gave them both baths last night, but it wasn't real effective. Any suggestions on oroducts for the dog, cat, or house?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks,

Im not an expert on this by any means, so you may want to post a thread asking for recommendations for flea prevention and house bombs specifically - but heres my input:

I know a LOT of people have issues with topical treatments, this is what we use.
We have 4 dogs and 2 cats, so flea preventative does goes expensive for us.

We have tried the biospot to save money in the past, it did not work for us. The dogs still got fleas. We have a mostly outside cat who was a big issue for us, because he comes and goes and sleeps outside a lot of the time.

We use and haven't had any issues with Advantix II. Our vet said that you can flea treat the dog/cat 24 hours after a bath because the drops stick to the natural oils on the dogs back. We have heard 2-3 days in the past, so go with that. Ive also heard that you should NOT bathe the dog for a week after the drops are applied, not sure if that is true or not, but we abide by that as well.

Our vet told us that we should use either Advantix or Frontline, not the others brands. (As far as topical)

Ive heard good things about these:
Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Tag for Dogs & Cats
TickLess Pet Ultrasonic Tick & Flea Repellent Device Pendant for Dogs & Cats
Which I have not tried, but something to consider.
Our dogs swim a lot, we have several baby pools and the fact that it isnt water proof is a big turn off for us. Also, one of our dogs likes to bite on her tags already, so I feel like it would be a big waste of money.

They also have oral flea perventative which I understand to be preferred by some, they are a bit more pricey because its heartworm and flea. Not sure if any "just flea" oral perventatives exist or not. These are the ones our foster WAS on and our vet spoke highly of them when mentioned. You can double up with topical and oral without any problems if thats something youd like to do. (Said our vet, not 100% sure if its true)
Trifexis | Flea & Heartworm Control - 1800PetMeds

I would speak to your vet and see what they recommend.

At one point a few years ago we had fleas infested in the house, they would leave bites on our ankles. We used a generic flea bombs we purchased at a drug store, they worked fine. I would treat it like head lice, wash everything if possible and get some spray for the furniture. Then get the animals out of the house for the day and put a flea bomb in every room with the windows shut. You also might want to look into something for your yard, just because.

:P Fleas suck.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseycub View Post
Im not an expert on this by any means, so you may want to post a thread asking for recommendations for flea prevention and house bombs specifically - but heres my input:

I know a LOT of people have issues with topical treatments, this is what we use.
We have 4 dogs and 2 cats, so flea preventative does goes expensive for us.

We have tried the biospot to save money in the past, it did not work for us. The dogs still got fleas. We have a mostly outside cat who was a big issue for us, because he comes and goes and sleeps outside a lot of the time.

We use and haven't had any issues with Advantix II. Our vet said that you can flea treat the dog/cat 24 hours after a bath because the drops stick to the natural oils on the dogs back. We have heard 2-3 days in the past, so go with that. Ive also heard that you should NOT bathe the dog for a week after the drops are applied, not sure if that is true or not, but we abide by that as well.

Our vet told us that we should use either Advantix or Frontline, not the others brands. (As far as topical)

Ive heard good things about these:
Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Tag for Dogs & Cats
TickLess Pet Ultrasonic Tick & Flea Repellent Device Pendant for Dogs & Cats
Which I have not tried, but something to consider.
Our dogs swim a lot, we have several baby pools and the fact that it isnt water proof is a big turn off for us. Also, one of our dogs likes to bite on her tags already, so I feel like it would be a big waste of money.

They also have oral flea perventative which I understand to be preferred by some, they are a bit more pricey because its heartworm and flea. Not sure if any "just flea" oral perventatives exist or not. These are the ones our foster WAS on and our vet spoke highly of them when mentioned. You can double up with topical and oral without any problems if thats something youd like to do. (Said our vet, not 100% sure if its true)
Trifexis | Flea & Heartworm Control - 1800PetMeds

I would speak to your vet and see what they recommend.

At one point a few years ago we had fleas infested in the house, they would leave bites on our ankles. We used a generic flea bombs we purchased at a drug store, they worked fine. I would treat it like head lice, wash everything if possible and get some spray for the furniture. Then get the animals out of the house for the day and put a flea bomb in every room with the windows shut. You also might want to look into something for your yard, just because.

:P Fleas suck.
Thanks for the good ideas. I gave both the dog and cat a bath today, wth Dawn dish soap. I also flea bombed the house, cleaned the house, vacuumed 3 times, washed tons of clothes and bedding, and I put a bomb in my car just a little while ago.

I have topical flea treatment, but waiting to apply because of the baths.

I will have to see later how effective it all was, but I'm hoping for some improvement anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.