My puppy’s itching saga – please help!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My puppy’s itching saga – please help!!!

Hi All,

This is my first post here, though I have been a frequent visitor since we decided to get our German shepherd puppy – Rush. Overall, he is a very healthy nearly 5 months old male. He is very active and already weighs 54.3lb as of today. However, we have an ongoing problem that is driving the entire family completely nuts. He has a severe itch and scratches constantly.

The itch seemed to begin two weeks after Rush came to live with us.
Since he was just 8 weeks old, I did not want let him outside the house prior to our vet’s visit. So, for about 5 days he was inside of our house and there was no itch.

Our vet makes home visits (that is primarily why we deal with her). She examined my puppy, gave him the required shot and de-worming medicine, then okayed him to go play outside in our rather large backyard "as long as there are no other animals there". That is when his itching began.

After a couple of nice baths in puppy shampoo I saw no improvement (and no evidence of flees). So, I called our vet and described the situation over the phone. She decided that this “must be mites" and stated that "it is a very common”. Because Frontline was used as a de-wormer and did nothing for the itchiness, she prescribed oral Ivomec and suspected a Sarcoptic mange (though there was no hair loss noted and she took no skin samples).

After a couple of weeks with no effect from the previous medication she prescribed topical Revolution (every 2 weeks for 2 months). Well, no luck. The skin is still clean, no hair loss and dog is itching like crazy.

It was then that our vet suggested that it could be an allergy to something in his food. Originally, I cooked for him (beef or chicken with brown rice, rolled oats, veggies and supplemental raw beef bones, cottage cheese, fruits, etc.) and included "Science Diet" lamb and rice dry food for large breed puppies. She suggested to stop cooking for him and feed Science diet dry food only. No luck.

I decided to switch to "Nutro Ultra" chicken and rice dry food for large breed puppies. After several weeks, again no luck.

My last attempt was to switch to a pretty expensive "Blue Basics" turkey diet with no grain. No luck there either .

It was then out of desperation that we decided to try another vet. This vet seemed to immediately think that the pup had a fungus and that, in her opinion, most dogs in Texas have this problem because of the climate. Though our puppy had no indications on his skin and certainly showed none of the typical rings of ringworm, she took a skin sample in one of the itchiest areas and did a culture. No luck here either. The culture was negative and poor Rush is still itching.

I do not know what else to do. I am bathing him in skin sensitive shampoos, he eats the best dry food I can possible come up with, his bedding is changed every couple of days and he is itching like a maniac. His fur also stinks even right after bath. Otherwise it looks nice, thick and shiny. No hair loss. No rash.

Before I will rip all the grass from my very large backyard to remove the possibility of a grass allergy (we have Saint Augustine grass and nothing else there), and because my vet has run out of suggestions (she thinks Rush is still too young for an allergy test), I have decided to ask for help here. So, here - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alyona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

stop puttng so much medication in his system . if he was fine inside your house and then started itching when outside its really a no brainer- he has airborne/environmental allergies to something outside, whether sand, grass, or if you have a flea problem its going to be one of those... stop wasting money on needless drugs, and have a blood test done to see what he is allergic to. use either the HESKA or ELISA method (the vet sends the blood work out to be tested using one of these methods) and then once you get the results you can go from there. its entirely POSSIBLE at 5 months old he has an allergy.. whether its to grass, sand,dirt, weeds, or fleas, there is something that sets him off when he is outside....
and find a new vet... the vet should have suggested an allergy test before subjecting a 5 month old puppy to numerous meds ....
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

also, just cause you see no fleas doesnt mean he isnt allergic, he could be allergic to the flea saliva ....
Honey
Old 09-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you, Maryellen, for a quick reply.
Rush was born on April 22, so today he is only 19 weeks old and our vet said that it is too early for a blood test. But yeah, I think a blood test is the only way to go....
Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

i purchased a 3 month old puppy a few years ago. she was fine in my house, once she went outside and touched the outside she itched like mad. she was tested at 4 months old for environmental allergies and was allergic to grass, pollen, and certain weeds that were growing in my area.... so yes, a puppy can be diagnosed with allergies at 3 months old... i had 2 dogs with allergies, one a gsd who was tested at 8 months old and allergic to the world and the other pup who was allergic to everything too
Honey
Old 09-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would cut out all the medications and try a RAW diet. See if giving the immune system a jump start will help to battle possible allergies. How long did you leave puppy on each food before trying a new one?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeast overgrowth? Try some raw apple cider vinegar in the water daily, coconut oil, salmon oil...and check for hot spots. Also maybe try a LID food, maybe he's not tolerating potatoes well, or something along those lines..How long did you give for improvement once changing the food? Sometimes can take up to 3 months..

Try giving him a Benadryl (ask your vet about the dose) and see if it helps with his itchiness.
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you All also much for your responses to my cry for help!

All medications have already been stopped for about a month now and it sure looks more and more to me like some kind of “backyard” allergy rather than a food allergy.

I know that it is kind of backward, but we practically started with raw and moved to “Blue Basic turkey no grain” trying everything for about 3 weeks.

I am giving him Benadryl twice a day for quite a while now with zero effect. I think he is already resistant to it.

Apple cider vinegar is something new that I never tried. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sigh... a backyard renovation is not smiling to me at all .

Last edited by Alyona; 09-02-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Text formatting
Old 09-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

"She examined my puppy, gave him the required shot and de-worming medicine, then okayed him to go play outside in our rather large backyard "as long as there are no other animals there". That is when his itching began." I think you answered your own question!!! VERY typical after having inoculations.
"
Because Frontline was used as a de-wormer and did nothing for the itchiness, she prescribed oral Ivomec and suspected a Sarcoptic mange (though there was no hair loss noted and she took no skin samples).
After a couple of weeks with no effect from the previous medication she prescribed topical Revolution (every 2 weeks for 2 months)." "Included Science Diet"
WOW!!!!! ALL these toxins put into his little body in his brief 19 weeks of life????
I am SO sorry these vets gave this little guy all of these things! It's not your fault, you had no idea! IMO, I would NOT let any of them give your pup any other drugs or shots! His immune system is in over load and SO many things can happen when the immune system is pulled down!

You should take Sapphire's suggestion and put him on raw food. Since you are new at this, you can purchase raw food at some pet stores like Pet Supply Plus: Northwest Naturals, Primal or even Nature's Variety. Or if you are opposed to raw you can get "human grade" food (the only pet food recognized by the FDA as 100% human grade ingredients) from The Honest Kitchen brand Dehydrated foods. I'd choose Embark. A 10# box costs about $83 but RE-hydrates to 40 pounds of food. Put your zip code in here to find a store close to you: Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen

I know most people don't give 2cents about holistic methods, but I can tell you from personal experience that it works! If this pup were mine, I'd detox him with herbals and homeopathic's to get all of the toxins out of his system.

Please feel free to pm me if you are interested in going this route and I can give you in-depth info on these things.

Moms

Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
I know most people don't give 2cents about holistic methods, but I can tell you from personal experience that it works! If this pup were mine, I'd detox him with herbals and homeopathic's to get all of the toxins out of his system.

Please feel free to pm me if you are interested in going this route and I can give you in-depth info on these things.

Moms
Excellent advice!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Strider - GSD 12/17/12
D'Argo - Rottweiler 5/17/01
FoxyMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.