Scabs, sores, losing hair - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Scabs, sores, losing hair

Hi everyone,

When I first got Penny she has constant skin issues, she has puppy pyoderma twice and then it cleared up for a while. But she has the red bumps/sores on her belly again along with several other issues....

She has/had scabs all over the top of her back from the base of her tail to midway up her spine. She also has black spots on the inside of her front legs and the outside of her back legs with reddish bumps that she chews at. She does not have fleas so I know she isnt itching because of fleas. But she is ALWAYS scratching and chewing herself. She has started to lose some fur on the inside of her front legs and again on the outside of her back legs. Her fur on her back is really brittle and bunches of the hair comes out with the scabs.

I have an appointment for the vets on Friday morning (thats the earliest they could get me in) so I was wondering if any of you could please give me some insight as to whats going on with my dogs skin??

So to recap... red bumps/sores on her belly, scabs on her back, black and reddish skin with fur loss on the inside of her front legs and the outside of her back legs.

I can try to take some pictures if that will make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With the exception of the scabs on her back, the rest sound like Zoey's allergy symptoms.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sometimes all it takes is one single flea.... and you may never see it.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
Sometimes all it takes is one single flea.... and you may never see it.
When I picked her up from boarding 2 weeks ago I gave her a flea bath and put her revolution on her like I do every month, and I did not notice any fleas coming off her while in the bath. Also I am living with my mother who has a dog who does not have fleas or any of these symptoms, so I do not believe it is fleas (or flea) that would be causing this issues as she has never had fleas, and this issue has been on going.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
With the exception of the scabs on her back, the rest sound like Zoey's allergy symptoms.
I am also thinking it is allergies but I have her on a hypoallergenic food... Go! Sensitivity and have had her on three of the formulas the Salmon, the Duck, and the Turkey + Trout. And her skin has not cleared up. But I know that does not mean she doesn't have food allergies.

I was thinking of putting her on a raw diet to see if that helps but I live in a small town and where I live meat is VERY expensive and when I say very expensive here is a little insight... for a 4 pack of boneless skinless chicken breast if it is not on sale you will be paying $15+ a pack! I am going to go to the butchers today and see how much they would charge to do up a raw diet for my dog as I know they do it for other people but I know its fairly expensive and I really have no idea how to build a raw meal plan or what exactly is involved how much of what is needed ect.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Sounds like hot spots.

Scrub areas with a dry towel to remove any puss and scabs and apply some anti bacterial.

Grooming might help and wash regularly. When the dog gets wet make sure to dry properly to avoid dampness.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
When I picked her up from boarding 2 weeks ago I gave her a flea bath and put her revolution on her like I do every month, and I did not notice any fleas coming off her while in the bath. Also I am living with my mother who has a dog who does not have fleas or any of these symptoms, so I do not believe it is fleas (or flea) that would be causing this issues as she has never had fleas, and this issue has been on going.
Sounds like she has overkill symptoms - too many toxins

Why does everyone on spot-on treatments and deadly toxic flea bath treatments go to food first?

Not that kibble isn't a toxin in of itself...but you have to seriously consider what this stuff (pesticides) is doing to your dog

Def. consider a RAW diet - that will at least give her a fighting chance
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Despite manufacturers’ claims to the contrary, the ingredients of commonly used topical treatments can and do enter the pets’ internal systems.Merial’s website states that fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline, Parastar, EasySpot and the new over the counter Sentry Fiproguard), is absorbed into the sebaceous glands of the skin which provide a natural reservoir, creating the impression that it does not migrate into the dog’s body. Dr. Dobozy of the EPA’s Pesticide Division took a look at fipronil and found that it does in fact enter the body and was contained in the fat, organs, urine and feces of dogs. Laboratory tests have shown that with long term exposure at low doses, fipronil has the potential for nervous system and thyroid toxicity, thyroid cancer, altered thyroid hormone levels, liver toxicity, kidney damage, convulsions, whining, barking, crying, loss of appetite, locomotor difficulty, reduced fertility, fetus mortality, smaller offspring, loss of hair at or beyond the point of application, moist inflammation, chemical burn and itching. Read the whole article on page 24 here: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/2012/May2012.pdf

Also: Side Effects of Advantage Flea Medication | The Daily Puppy
"Some pets with sensitive skin will get sores on the spot of application. These sores can bleed, become filled with pus, remain open for a length of time, and may require medical or surgical attention. Watch the application site for any splitting skin or areas that begin to swell, pus or crack. These are very painful to animals, so avoid touching these areas and seek medical attention for the animal. Watch your pet immediately after application and for a few days after. Some animals experience extreme cases where the neurotoxin in Advantage takes a toll on the pet. Some cases of organ damage have been reported in pets using Advantage in improper dosing or prolonged exposure. If your pet is exhibiting odd behavior, like seeming to not see objects in her path, stumbling or sleeping significantly more than normal, these are signs to discuss with your veterinarian.
Similar to the sores, Advantage can cause rashes on dogs with sensitive skin. These may only be noticeable by extreme scratching witnessed in dog behavior, but must be tended to immediately. If the dog scratches the area too much, it may cause bleeding, sores or an infection."
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Madlab, I don't think its hot spots as it is not moist and does not look raw per se and it does not smell... (not that I've ever dealt with hot spots before but just from reading what hot spots are, although I'm not sure this excludes the possibility that it could be hot spots but I looked at pictures and it doesn't really look like what Penny's looks like)

Gatorbytes, I dont give her a flea bath every month but I have been giving her revolution every month since May, so only 4 months of revolution and she will get it for September and then wont be getting it on again till late next spring. Could such a limited use of revolution be the cause of this? Maybe...

Im going to try to take some pictures of the areas that are affected and post them later, have to wait till Penny is sleeping first so I can get decent shots.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi everyone.. I just got off the phone with my vet to see if Penny could get in any earlier than Friday, and they told me they would call me if a spot opens up. But was wondering if anyone has anything I could use on penny or give Penny to help calm her itching? She has been itching and chewing herself a lot more in the last two days and I dont want my girl to be uncomfortable. I was told to give her benadryl 50mg to see if that helps but is there anything else I could use with the benadryl incase if its not something allergy wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.