arthroscopy or invasive surgery? (torn cruciate ligament) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default arthroscopy or invasive surgery? (torn cruciate ligament)

we were at vet yesterday.
not only Odi has HD(as if it would not be enough),but also cruciate ligament is torn in her right knee.

so that slight limp has turned into major problem.

invasive surgery itself is slightly less expensive,but vet said would go through really long and painful recovery period.

so right now i am inclined towards arthroscopy.

any advice/experience?

thank you in advance!

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...tml?id=1339525
hattifattener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can't offer any advice. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about Odi's diagnosis.
She's always been one of my favorites. Good luck with her procedure whatever way you go!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

thank you for support(we need that too),i am staying positive,or at least i try.
everything will be fine!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My experience with the ACL is to have the surgery. We did conservative management and she retore it within a year. My doctor explained it to me as the ACL is like a rope so when the outer "threads" tear it "unravels"

A traditional repair is not usually successful with large dogs. Is that what you mean by an arthroscopy?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
My experience with the ACL is to have the surgery. We did conservative management and she retore it within a year. My doctor explained it to me as the ACL is like a rope so when the outer "threads" tear it "unravels"

A traditional repair is not usually successful with large dogs. Is that what you mean by an arthroscopy?
if i understood correctly what doc said,they are going to replace it with an implant.

arthroscopy is just less invasive and less damaging type of surgery,using endoscope and other special equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthroscopy

Last edited by hattifattener; 07-24-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think what they are talking about is a traditional repair. They'll take a tendon sheath and sew it around the acl. Ask him what the long term rate of success is for this type of repair. Are you really saving money and recovery time for him?

The acl repair Jax had done is not your typical TPLO or TTA. There are only a couple ortho's in the country that do it this way. Cost me the same but the doc does many of the sport dogs in my area.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I think what they are talking about is a traditional repair. They'll take a tendon sheath and sew it around the acl. Ask him what the long term rate of success is for this type of repair. Are you really saving money and recovery time for him?
The acl repair Jax had done is not your typical TPLO or TTA. There are only a couple ortho's in the country that do it this way. Cost me the same but the doc does many of the sport dogs in my area.
doc said that

in case of open surgery,recovery may take more than a year,but in case of arthroscopy - 1.5 months.

and

success rate is high for all breeds,except for boxers.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

As far as I, and the veterinarian I am sitting next to, know they do not do TPLOs with an arthroscope. I also work with board certified surgeons and don't believe I have EVER seen them do a torn tendon or ligament repair with scope. They scope joints all the time, looking for disease and what not. But I believe for actual surgery they open them up. Arthroscopy IS commonly used in the stifle to repair a torn meniscus. But not for a cruciate ligament repair. As far as I know. I will ask my board certified orthopedic surgeons. My clinic does probably 6 or so a week. I also could not find any information online verifying ligament repair with a scope

TPLOs are hit or miss as it is. I wouldn't say the usually take over a year to heal. Usually lame for a couple months and then do fine. If it IS taking a year to heal I suspect something else is going on, such as the surgery did not take or some other complication. Sometimes they dont take on dogs. Don't think it has anything to do with size, more angulation of the stifle. Instead of surgery you can attempt pain management, laser therapy has been succesful.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Must admit I was a bit confused as I can't see how they could repair it with an arthroscope.
We used to do lots of arthroscopy procedures on horse joints for OCD lesions etc but never seen one done for cruciate repair.
It doesn't take over a year for it to come good.....like Anubis star said couple months and if they are done correctly they usually go really well.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

My lab/heeler x had surgery for this 2-1/2 years ago. Her healthy weight is ~62 lbs but she has been ~75lbs for several years. Her surgery was at 8 yrs old and she is now 10-1/2. We were told by our vet that the implant (TPLO? I've forgotten now) was the only solution but at $4, 000, knowing we had a good chance of needing to do the other leg at some point, we opted to switch vets to one that would do the "old style" (something like fishing line?). I apologize for forgetting the terminology. We were good friends with another vet in his practice so we felt good about his expertise. If our dog had been young, we may have gone the more expensive route but from our perspective, the repair fidnt have to last as long. She has done just fine with it in spite of our unsuccessful continuing weight loss battle with her. She could NOT have gone without surgery. All other vets refused to do the old style on a bigger dog but depending on the age of your dog, you might consider it. Less than half the cost and while rehab was tough, it went as planned. She also has arthritis in the hip on her same side so that is what bothers her most.

In any event, I'm glad we did it as most days she is fairly active for her age and weight and has a good quality of life. Btw, she was completely non-weight bearing and also had her meniscus removed during the surgery.

Good luck

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
belladonnalily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.