Chewing off Fur! Anybody have similiar issues/answers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chewing off Fur! Anybody have similiar issues/answers?

My 6 month old GSD is chewing. No, not the furniture or shoes but his FUR. It started almost a month ago as a single spot on his hind legs. He chewed down to the skin and made think ticks or mites or something. Checked him head to toe, nothing. Brought him to the vet, they did a skin scrape and found nothing. Also gave us antihistamine (regular benadryl) and a special shampoo.

This didnt help, than the vet said we needed to change his food to a grain free - ironically enough we were already doing this. He was on Canidae all life stages and is now on Horizon Legacy. They told me that should solve it. Didnt - though he is not as hungry and has a very good looking coat, good enough to eat too apparently!

The vet now says its environmental, and I just need to wait it out (five visits later). I can understand that, but I have removed all access to plants trees bushes and grass and the matter is getting worse and has consumed his entire hind quarters and is now causing him to chew his front legs now!

Any ideas? suggestions? solutions? similar occurrences?

I will post a photo as well.

Thanks!!!
HellHoundsKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHoundsKeeper View Post
My 6 month old GSD is chewing. No, not the furniture or shoes but his FUR. It started almost a month ago as a single spot on his hind legs. He chewed down to the skin and made think ticks or mites or something. Checked him head to toe, nothing. Brought him to the vet, they did a skin scrape and found nothing. Also gave us antihistamine (regular benadryl) and a special shampoo.

This didnt help, than the vet said we needed to change his food to a grain free - ironically enough we were already doing this. He was on Canidae all life stages and is now on Horizon Legacy. They told me that should solve it. Didnt - though he is not as hungry and has a very good looking coat, good enough to eat too apparently!

The vet now says its environmental, and I just need to wait it out (five visits later). I can understand that, but I have removed all access to plants trees bushes and grass and the matter is getting worse and has consumed his entire hind quarters and is now causing him to chew his front legs now!

Any ideas? suggestions? solutions? similar occurrences?

I will post a photo as well.

Thanks!!!
Has he had a flea/tick application put on?
When was the last vaccination?
Did the Canidade or does the Legacy have any yeast supplements added?
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Can dogs take antihistamine? Have you changed any clothing detergent? Used a powder on the carpet? Have you changed lotions? Or body spray?
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is no yeast supplements in either food I believe ( will check on that)
He has never had a flea or tick application put on (vet said he didnt need one and it wouldnt do anything)
and his last shots were in April and almost a month before this started.

I am having issues attaching the photo as well.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

No, we have done nothing new. No new soaps or lotions except what was prescribed after the fact. and dogs can have benedryl that weigh more than 50lbs but not more than 50mlg twice a day I believe. Oh and now he is on a new antihistamine that is supposed to be much stronger but still does nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Chewing off Fur! Anybody have similiar issues/answers?-axel.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Aw poor little guy.. I am not Vet by any means..
But when dogs that look like him, that come in to my work (Humane Society) it is usually food allergies.
Perhaps you should try a Raw diet for a while to see if it helps him.. Always worth a try if nothing else is working. Also try going to a Vet who is holistic, they usually tend to have herbals that can help with things like this!

Good luck to you both!
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
Aw poor little guy.. I am not Vet by any means..
But when dogs that look like him, that come in to my work (Humane Society) it is usually food allergies.
Perhaps you should try a Raw diet for a while to see if it helps him.. Always worth a try if nothing else is working. Also try going to a Vet who is holistic, they usually tend to have herbals that can help with things like this!

Good luck to you both!

Thanks, Ill try the raw diet. I just noticed as well that there are several small blisters throughout the area the he just made bleed-
Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would skip anything and everything else and go to a vet dermatologist. A regular vet can work this up but you need to find a good one. When people bring dogs to me who have been seen by other vets and tried multiple things and yet to get an answer or something that works I start over. I do an exam, full history, skin scrape (and sometimes you need multiple ones), skin cytology, fungal culture, and rule out flea allergy by putting on good flea prevention (not frontline). You may even just see if your vet will biopsy an affected area, that could get you an answer pretty quick. This doesn't look like any food allergy dogs I have ever seen, not saying that can't be it. I would for sure do a fungal culture, this could be ringworm.
Could be behavioral as well.
ugavet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Is he bored or stressed? We had a golden growing up that would lick one of his front paws raw if he was bored (meaning not getting enough exercise/stimulation) and recently Sasha has taken to doing that when I leave (as I am now working and going to school and her separation anxiety kicked into high gear). If that is the case, what has been working for us is I am retraining her brain. So now every time, and I mean every single time, I leave she is left with a kong filled with stuff. For prolonged periods of time (meaning more than an hour, like when I'm at school or work) she is left with the biggest sized kong filled with either raw meat or canned dog food (the kong is frozen btw) and for short periods of time she gets a smaller kong filled with either yogurt (again frozen) or something of that nature. I also sprayed the area she started licking obsessively with bitter apple spray. It's been a week and she seems to be adjusting better. She still doesn't love to be left, but it seems to lessen the anxiety a bit. One cavet to this though is that if you have a dog that is a chewer it can be very dangerous to leave them with stuff like that because they can choke. Sasha is not a chewer so it's fine, but I wouldn't do it with a dog that had a tendency to chew stuff up.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

thinking along the same lines "Is he bored or stressed?" looks to be behavioural , obsessive behaviour -- flank sucker ASPCA | Compulsive Behavior in Dogs

instead of having an urgent itch and scratch biting at themselves dogs with this obsessive behaviour "sooth" themselves while doing this and have this almost trance like look .

The flank sucker rarely injures himself - only sculpts his hair .
I had a young male that was crated and in the area where a mature male was present and females . When those females came in to season he would be anxious (excited) and start with excessive grooming , not injuring the skin , not discernible , never caught him at it - just the results , which were like your dog with the hair over his back leg looking shaved . When the females finished cycling he left his hair alone and was normal. Females cycle - he did it again . Some where along the way he got addicted to this habit - so it is pretty much a permanent look.
He never has never will be bred , even though he trained very easily and is a steady confident dog .
I had read that obsessive behaviours could be caused by high cholesterol levels . "
Journal of Small Animal Practice, studied many different breeds. They believe terriers, German shepherds, Anatolian sheepdogs and dogs originally bred for herding appear to be more prone to tail chasing.
Have you recently had your dog’s cholesterol levels checked?
The majority of dogs with obsessive tail chasing in the recent study were found to suffer from high cholesterol, with HDL and LDL cholesterol both significantly higher than in dogs that only chased their tails on occasion. High amounts of cholesterol may clog cell membranes at the microscopic level, affecting flows of brain hormones involved in mood and behavior. High cholesterol has also been linked to people who suffer from panic attacks and/or OCD.
If you suspect that your dog might chase its tail too often and could have high cholesterol, experts suggest the following "

so with a higher dosage of fish oil, and lecithin granules or liquid lecithin sourced from sunflower seeds he was able to stop himself , even if a female was in season.
Now he gets an oil that has unrefined rice bran oil , a very good source of phosphatidyl serine and choline .

I'd rather have this than a tail chaser , same syndrome.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.