Need Epilepsy success stories...feeling hopeless - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Need Epilepsy success stories...feeling hopeless

Hi All,

My 2 year old female GSD Lyric just had her second seizure this morning. She had her first one about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was waiting for a second one to occur before taking her to the vet.

I'm devastated by this because about 16 or 17 years ago I had an Alaskan Malamute that began having seizures at a year old. We immediately took him to the vet and once he had a second seizure the vet prescribed phenobarbital. The medication would seem to help him for a few weeks, then he'd get worse. We would change his dosage, and again he'd get better - then worse. This cycle went on and on for a year, until he began having cluster seizures and they became unmanageable. My dad made the difficult decision to put him down after one long night of seizure after seizure after seizure. The next morning the poor thing couldn't even stand up. It was one of the worst things I've had to go through. My dad even cried like a baby.

Since then I've had quite a few dogs, but fortunately no seizures until now. Lyric is BY FAR one of the sweetest, most loving dogs I have ever owned. She has captured my heart like few others have. I can handle a seizure here and there but the thought of her going through what my malamute went through just devastates me.

I'm 5 months pregnant so my emotions are all over the place. That also means that money is tight so I can't afford a whole bunch of tests. I was just going to have them run one panel and just try the phenobarbital again...unless anyone has any other suggestions?

I'm also looking for anyone who has stories of epileptic dogs leading fairly normal, happy lives? I'd love to hear them as the only story I have to compare this too was tragic, and it doesn't leave me feeling very optimistic for my Lyric.

Mom to:

Shelby - GSD 6 yrs (2/1/05)
Rocky - GSD 2 YEAR! (10/30/08)
Lyric - GSD 16 weeks (4/12/11)
Rico - GSD 2/20/00 - 11/21/08 We'll always love you "Mr. Poo"
sju279 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

My last GSD Diesel, her brother has epilepsy... He had his first seizure at a year and 9 months old. He was on medication and was good for a while, then he started having cluster seizures as well but they changed his medication and when things seemed to be going all down hill and was to the point of putting him down the new meds kicked in and he has been seizure free.. Im not sure of what the name of the meds are but I will find out from my friend. He still leads a fairly normal life.

Hoping the best for you and Lyric
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't have a good seizure story to tell. In fact it was terrible. I can tell you that they are caused by other things than Epilepsy. So be careful for treating the wrong thing.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Kiya just turned 9yrs old. She had her first seizure at 18 months old. She has good control with meds. Her last seizure. Was Tuesday around 9pm it's still tuff for me to watch after all these years.
Canine Epilepsy Resource Center & Home of the Epil-K9 List is a GREAT support group and were on fb.
I only ran all the basic tests in the beginning. My vet said let's just get her under control and take it from there. Blood work including thyroid and theydid an xray at the er incase it was something in her all negative. She was put on pb & kbr after a loading dose she clustered and I really thought I was going to loose her.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10

Last edited by kiya; 06-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Can you tell me what meds Kiya is on now? I agree, they are HORRIBLE to watch. Makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

Mom to:

Shelby - GSD 6 yrs (2/1/05)
Rocky - GSD 2 YEAR! (10/30/08)
Lyric - GSD 16 weeks (4/12/11)
Rico - GSD 2/20/00 - 11/21/08 We'll always love you "Mr. Poo"
sju279 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Phenobarbitol 60mg & potassium bromide 1200mg. Shes been getting milk thistle for years and last year or so I doubled it to 2000mg her liver values are creeping up but still very managable. It took several months to adjust to the meds at first but I can truely say she's living a good quality normal life.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10

Last edited by kiya; 06-14-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here is thread I posted on with some links (peer reviewed/pubmed) re: herbal skullcap, magnesium supplementation and other (diet, ketones, amino acids etc.)

Idiopathic seizures

I good Holistic Vet would be able to help in this area - conventional vet will likely script phenol

However this is only good for control/maintenance - Allopathic can offer blood work, x-rays, brain scan - this may result in a diagnosis, but not the cause

addressing (even finding) root cause - again Holistic offers tests that allopathic medicine doesn't

Hair analysis for heavy metal toxicity (lead, mercury, aluminum), diet deficiencies (metabolic disorder), NAET

Kidneys can be a source of the problem (uremic acidosis)

Have to also look at Iatrogenic caused - vaccines (adjuvant aluminum has the ability to cross the blood brain barrier)...HW/Tick/Flea "prevention" such as ivermectin and milbemycin (revolution, trifexis) in an MDR1 afflicted dog can lead to seizures - permethrins (ingredients in advantex as well as flea collars) and pyrethrins also neurotoxin.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 06-14-2013 at 12:10 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Even the best holistic vet that I went to said in most cases holistic treatments must accompany traditional medications.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was actually thinking more mainstream cause like tick disease or tumor. Lady had both Valley Fever and a tick disease which it what they believed caused hers.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Labrador had her first seizure a year ago, then a second 3 weeks later. We put her on Zonisamide. No seizures since. Been almost a year. She is still a working dog. No side effects, minimal monitoring.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.