2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)

Iím looking for some opinions/advice on my 2 year old male GSD. His pasternís donít look too bad when he is standing but it seems during movement, they weaken\lower too far...... He is also very East-West paw (turned out pasterns).

Does anyone know of exercises/supplements that we could try in order to strengthen his front end (to avoid problems?). I am an honest person so please askÖ. I am just looking to help my GSD live a happier and healthier life.

Info about him: He is 2 years old (yesterday was his birthday) neutered male GSD from West German lines, 85lbs (he is a very good weight for his size), he is fed Acana Large Breed kibble with 2 days per week of Orijien Red Meat (kibble), he receives an Omega 3 gel cap daily, he is not fed table scraps (he is allowed healthy people food but this is moderated, he does get the occasional milkbone as a reward and chicken based hotdogs), we walk 30-45 min 5-6 days per week & he LOVES to track (little brag - he is amazing at it ).

The vet and breeder have said there is not much I can do besides keeping him lean and avoiding jumping (no agility for him).

Picture 1 - Yesterday - in movement

Picture 2 - Yesterday - in movement
Picture 3 - Yesterday - in movement
Picture 4 - Few months ago - standing
Picture 5 - East-West pastern
Picture 6 - East-WEst (very tired after a big hike)
Attached Thumbnails
2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)-picture1.jpg   2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)-picture2.jpg   2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)-picture3.jpg   2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)-picture-4.jpg   2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)-picture-5.jpg  

2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)-picture-6.jpg  

Last edited by yferguson; 05-27-2013 at 10:42 AM.
yferguson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gorgeous boy.
He needs to lose some weight, and the best supplement for weak pasterns is a gelatin made by boiling soup bones all day.
Please check this thread, especially the Carmspack post, has a lot of good info in it.
Correcting down pasterns?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!!!

Everyone i have spoken to says he is a good weight. Slim and tight! He is rather tall (taller than standard). A few different breeders have told me to keep him 80-85lbs for his size. How much less would u think he should loose? (Im not disagreeing with you, i just thought he was a good weight -slightly under vet recommendation but not starving) ?!?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

ah ha! lol He has a good waist line from above and from the side by feeling. LOL I always forget that to some others he may look bigger becasue of his coat. He has a great coat (I get comments on it all the time) which makes him look bigger than he actually is. He is kind of 'fluffy' without being plush. He has a major undercoat and has recently been for a bath so he looks even fluffier.

Sorry I forgot to add that to my orginal post (I guess i m just used to it, lol )
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

It is just that looking down on him, I don't see that hourglass common to GSD. That is probably what caught sunflowers eye. It caught mine. It could be the coat or angle of pic, I suppose. Make sure you follow the vet's recommendation about exercise. Check out the link.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here is a pic of his waistline. Thoughts? 2yr Old GSD with Weak Pasterns (pictures)-imageuploadedbypg-free1370090836.419122.jpg

Old 06-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My females shape looking down, is pretty close to that. The vet has called her ideal many times.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

there seems to be some swelling immediately above the "wrist" - bilateral . At any point during the fast growth spurt did the dog sit and have the tension of the front leg cause it to buckle , opposite of collapse.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yferguson View Post
Here is a pic of his waistline. Thoughts? Attachment 75825

I honestly don't see much of a waist. I stand by what I said above. At this stage, the puppy needs to be more slim. Especially with downed pasterns.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

a two year old is long out of the puppy stage .
muscle supports ligaments . muscle requires good protein.
the leg is not smooth , there is a bump at the carpus and a bowed effect at the radius or front bone of the forelimb , so there may have been some inflammation at a growth period as you would have with H O D . If the animal was out of sorts , had a bit of a temperature, was super picky about eating , and was sensitive to the leg being squeezed in that area , or careful with itself , as in pano but not shifting those would have been indications. Minor . Some are terribly disforming . During this the pup would have roached his back to distribute the weight . The hocks would have compensated with becoming cow hocked . There is only one picture of the dog standing sideways and here he shows the hocks well under , picture 4 and in picture 3 walking away the hocks are close and parallel to each other , looking a bit on the weak side whereas in the walk one should be going to mid and the other pushing outward . It may just be the step sequence caught by the camera, or think of a supported bunny hop type movement.

I would think some anti inflammatory might be good for the dog and something to support ligament and cartilage . MSM , probiotics , whole vitamin C , micro and trace minerals. These are all in the arsenal of Great Dane breeders where this H O D in not uncommon.

Inflammation could have been from a virus or vaccination , a vaccine mediated immune response. The Purdue Vaccination Studies and Auto-antibodies | Dogs Naturally Magazine

If you want to see for yourself , when you have the dog x rayed for hips and elbows do the pastern - carpus ( wrist )area also . If there has been inflammation there will be a cuff .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.