chronic degenerative redicular myopathy - Need answers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question chronic degenerative redicular myopathy - Need answers

Hi everyone,

A friend of a friend is having to move overseas (due to being in the military) and cannot take their german shepherd with them and I was asked if I could take him in. He just turned 4 years old. I was told he has CDRM (chronic degenerative redicular myopathy). And was told he will not live a full life. Apparently in the fall he was not doing so well but seems to be fine now. He is apparently losing hair and scratching and looking kind of ratty in his back end now, but is still loving going for walks and chasing balls ect.

I need as much information from you guys as possible, I would love to take this guy in but also dont want this dog to suffer (and myself as I know I will get attached fairly easily). Is this disease treatable? Is it possible for him to live a fairly normal life? He gets along great with other dogs and is very smart and is trained really well. Should I take this guy in? I added a picture of him, his name is Como.
Attached Thumbnails
chronic degenerative redicular myopathy - Need answers-como.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At 4 yrs old he has DM? Isn't that pretty young? Read Rebels post on stem cell therapy and DM.

Success: stem cell treatment for degenerative myelopathy

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is CDRM another name for degenerative mylopathy?? I had a GSD Genesis that came down with it when he turned 10. It's not painful but he eventually won't walk on his rear legs. Genesis adapted well. I eventually got him a dog cart when he was about to lose full ability to walk. It took around 8-9 months for that to happen. Had him for another year after he could no longer walk at all....

For comparison I recently had to put my Kaos down. He hips were completely shot. He also developed elbow arthritis. Then the last stage med pred. made him hungry, thirsty. Not be able to sleep and made him pant. Finally it gave him bloody stools. Without the pred he would lose all leg function I would say in a couple days. With the pred and no bloody stools it was a couple weeks at best. Along with that Kaos was on heavy doses of Tramadol. In my circumstance and its just my situation and I never would have believed it. Kaos problems were worse the Genesis. If Kaos had DM he would still be around. Not saying not being able to walk is great but he would have been pain free.....

This is a link to the best expert Dr Clemmons on DM and his treatments. Also a pharmancy that can get the meds. Then a DM info site......

Degenerative Myelopathy of German Shepherds

Westlab Pharmacy - Veterinary Patients - Degenerative Myelopathy

Degenerative Myelopathy Support Group - Jack Flash's Homepage
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.

Last edited by Fade2Black; 05-25-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

can DM be causing him to itch and lose his fur in his back end?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

^^^2 late to edit my other post^^^

I should >>>add<<< if I had my choice of either DM or hip problems on my 5 month old puppy Havoc I would choose the hip problems >>>every time over DM<<< as it has a cure. Its just in the one case Kaos would have been better off with DM the way it all played out. I spent thousands trying to help the hips but didn't have the 12-13 thousand $$ for THR's. Kaos might have been to far gone anyway. Vet was shocked at the progression in the last few months......
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
I don't know. But if you or someone else can't take him in. Please don't let whoever put to sleep. This place will take him in and provide a lifetime of care if it can't find him a home.......

Best Friends Animal Society
Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
No. and I think it's pretty uncommon in a young dog. I would look for a second opinion. DM is a degenerative disease that affects the spinal cord.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My husbands family dog(GSD mix) had DM and he lived to a ripe old age... He was only put to sleep because he could no longer control his bladder or bowls and they wanted him to still have some dignity when he left. My husband walked him daily throughout, he never ended up needing a wheel chair. If it is DM then it's not a death sentence but it is a rather large commitment to take on.

As far as the itching and losing fur, to me that sounds like bad allergies though I'm not an expert.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

this stuff is all scary ...I am reading all this after getting my Roxy and wondering which disease we are going to wind up with...I wouldn't give her up for the world now ..but NOW after the fact of getting her I read all of this stuff that can happen with a german shepherd.
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you sure the DM isn't demotic mange? That would explain the hair loss and itchiness.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.