13 Year Old With really bad back legs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 13 Year Old With really bad back legs

Hi,
My 13 year old german shephards back legs are really getting bad. She has been on rimadyl and lubrisyn the last couple of years and it made a huge difference. Now her back legs seem to cross one another when she walks and she drags and curls her back right foot. Walking on hardwood floors is next to impossible. The loss of muscle mass on her hind legs is pretty dramatic. I have put mats down on the hardwood floors to help her out. Any treaments or ideas to possibly help her out. She still has control of her bowels. I have a feeling that It will soon be time to put her to sleep, but I want to try all options before I have to make that decission.
Kayla Marie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know anything about what to do, but I do want to say sorry your old girl is going through this
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So sorry your girl is having these problems ... has she ever been diagnosed as to what's causing the problem (there are different reasons for the same physical symptoms)? Sometimes a different course of medication can be helpful.

Have you considered putting her in a K-9 wheelchair?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla Marie View Post
Hi,
My 13 year old german shephards back legs are really getting bad. She has been on rimadyl and lubrisyn the last couple of years and it made a huge difference. Now her back legs seem to cross one another when she walks and she drags and curls her back right foot. Walking on hardwood floors is next to impossible. The loss of muscle mass on her hind legs is pretty dramatic. I have put mats down on the hardwood floors to help her out. Any treaments or ideas to possibly help her out. She still has control of her bowels. I have a feeling that It will soon be time to put her to sleep, but I want to try all options before I have to make that decission.

In addition to the rimadyl your vet could also put her on the pain killer tramadol. Tramadol isn't expensive. As a last resort the rimadyl can be stopped and she could be put on prednisone along with the tramadol. Pred is also not expensive......
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Has she been diaognoised with Degenerative Myelopathy?? Or is it an arthritic based neurological problem??? Pred won't help DM - but may help as an anti-inflammatory....

13 is a great age for a GSD...sounds like she is doing pretty well for her age! I hope your vet can help slow down the progress!

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Kayla. To make a real real long story a little shorter. I just put my almost 10 year old GSD Kaos to sleep this past Saturday for hips that were completly gone. He developed bloody stools from the last resort meds. There are a lot of other things I will leave out to save time. Anyway Feeling so guilty I could have done more (still do) and rushed to judgement putting Kaos to sleep. I got all his medical records this Monday from my Vet. Made an appointment with another vet. I said my GSD was still alive but I was considering putting him down but wanted other opinions. Just showed the records. His words were this poor dog does have serious issues. If it were my dog I would most likely be leaning to put him down. Any way he gave me something I never heard of and I am really pissed my Vet never suggested to try (I tried everything from stem cell 3000$ to acupuncture etc etc anything imaginable except THR which would have cost me at least 12-13 thousand which I couldn't get. I tried a house refi cash out but couldn't get it) Anyway it's called a "hip dennervation". Ballpark around $1500. Its a minimal invasive surgery. Dog goes home the same day. You can look up all the details. Not a cure. Won't stop progression of arthritis. But nerves are cut reliving pain that helps the dog be able to move around better and be more active. Your GSD is old so this might be something to help him through. Be comfortable (hopefully more years) until his natural time is up......
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.

Last edited by Fade2Black; 05-23-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla Marie View Post
Now her back legs seem to cross one another when she walks and she drags and curls her back right foot.
The crossing or drunken walking is ataxia. It indicates a neurological condition, not necessarily and arthritic one...

What shape is she in now?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.