skin irritation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default skin irritation

Hello all,
I am the owner of an 8 month old shepherd mix (possible lab, rottie)

about 2 months ago we noticed that he had a scabbed, itchy spot on his face. we tried to fight this ourselves with polysporin and an e collar, but Houston is just awful with the e collar on so we slacked a bit. It got a bit better, but not gone. So we took him to the vet, the vet said could be mange but probably not. most likely allergies. sent us away after giving him a shot and vanectyl to take home. and it worked like a charm! the itching stopped, and his face healed up. of course, once the medication was finished, the itching and scabbing returns. i called the vet, to which we were told:
a) come get a skin scraping
b) come get more medication or
c) come get a cortisone cream.

does anyone have any advice? we are first time dog owners. I am 95% sure these are seasonal allergies as we havent changed food or anything.. and well, its spring. is there another route we could go instead of keeping him on vanectyl (its expensive!) as well as avoiding steroids?

also, is mange really a possibility with itching confined to one spot that cleared up with vanectyl?

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
skin irritation-img_1526.jpg  
Houston02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default coconut oil

I have no idea if this will work for you but on all skin conditions/rashes for Zena I use coconut oil. (Use solid form...it melts when rubbed on skin) The vet says it wouldn't work but it has worked every time I have put it on her.

So...maybe give it a try...
LLM777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can you please post a regular headshot picture? I would like to see the overall condition of the coat.

I would at this point get a skin scrap.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ringworm (fungal) is more common in young dogs.

Did the vet mention this? A culture can be sent to the lab.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Vanectyl-P* (Canada) Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

Alimemazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geez, when are vets going to stop treating young pups with harsh drugs for minor issue - this is same as temeral P - huge side effects, increased urination, future cushings possibility...there is pred is this hence why the treatment was temp. once you stop steroids, the condition comes back and usually worse due to immune suppression

apply coconut oil as mentioned (love that it works - and vet says it won't), and give internally 1 tsp./10lbs body weight

Treat the immune system
Bovine colostrum - if demodex mange then the immune system will take care of it, if fungal (which is usually moist area's - the groin and pits), coconut oil, garlic infused in the coconut oil even better (topically)

and a bath w/selsin blue.

But get a skin scrape just to make sure not ringworm

goldenseal tea compresses will act as antibacterial and reduce the itch
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

thank you for the replies!!
i should add, we have added fish oil to his food since our vet visit...and the scratching isn't an obsessive scratch. i dont even remember the last time i saw him itch... its just he just does it when we turn our backs or something. for instance today I spent all afternoon lounging around with him and didn't see him go for his face once. However, since returning from the ball park this evening I've noticed it was inflamed and bleeding a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
skin irritation-houston4.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

we added coconut oil to our regime, and I have been putting it directly on his face as well. it definitely seems to help with the redness...the hard part is keeping Houston from wiping it off and then licking it off his paws! he just loves the stuff.

i usually wash the spot twice a day as well, and occasionally apply some polysporin.

however, the spot hasn't healed up. we started him on benadryl and this is helping too- just 1 x 25mg pill 3 times daily. when we start getting close to the 8hr mark is when he seems to want to itch again (makes sense). might try a pill and a half and see if that makes a difference.

other than that, he is a normal, happy pup. eats well, drinks well, poops well... and has lots of energy.

any other tips for us? im hoping this clears up soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.