Red Third Eyelid - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Red Third Eyelid

Axel's third eyelid is visible in the corner of his eye, and it looks red. When he is asleep, the whole thing shows, and it is a bright red. I don't see any lumps, however. I couldn't get a very good picture, but this is what it looks like when he is sleeping.

Could anybody tell me if this is something to worry about?
blueskyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Yes, I would ask my vet for a referral to a vet eye doctor. Veterinarians & Public

Some general vets are good with eye stuff, but just in case - you will know you can ask.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How interesting!! I didn't even know dogs had three eye lids.

See this: Dog Eyes: Structure; Third Eyelid; How Dogs See | doghealthdoc.com
Quote:
Dogs have a third eyelid, known as the nictitating membrane. When the eye is open the membrane is located in the inner corner of the eye under the lower lid and is usually not obvious. The closing of this membrane, horizontally across the eye, while the other eye lids are open gives a dog the appearance of rolling their eyes back into their head. Some dogs when they are sleeping may briefly open the upper and lower lids, and look like they have completely white eyeballs due to the closed third eye lid.

The third eyelid has a major tear duct associated with it. One of the functions of the third eyelid is to spread tears across the surface of the eye.

In some dogs the edge of the third eyelid is visible, this is called haws. Haws are present from birth and of no concern. The may be a consideration for show dogs.

If the third eyelid suddenly become visible, or more visible if the case of haws, then it is likely that the third eyelid has shifted out of position. Cherry eye occurs when there is a problem with the third eyelid and its associated tear duct, usually prolapse (sticking out) due to weakened attachment. Occasionally the third eyelid can fold over on itself (eversion). This can usually be corrected with surgery.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Definitely get to a vet. This could be something simple or it could be pannus.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Eyes are never ever something to wait on. All eye problems are considered serious by most vet clinics. It could be pannus or something else....and never ever medicate an eye issue without a vet diagnosing it....

Hopefully it is nothing, but please get him into the vet ASAP

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Ever come up with an answer?

@Blueskyler - Did you ever end up taking Axel to the vet to see if it was something to worry about? I just adopted a german shepherd mix dog last weekend and he has the same thing you're describing! I mentioned it in passing to my vet but she didn't seem worried about it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyler View Post
Axel's third eyelid is visible in the corner of his eye, and it looks red. When he is asleep, the whole thing shows, and it is a bright red. I don't see any lumps, however. I couldn't get a very good picture, but this is what it looks like when he is sleeping.

Could anybody tell me if this is something to worry about?
Heldstab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.