Banfield Wellness Plans? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Banfield Wellness Plans?

My wife went out with a friend and brought home a 8 week old BIG German Shepherd puppy. Well in my opinion I would have rather her had spent the money on a pound puppy then a friends grapevine news transfer. LOL like my friends friends, friends, next door neighbors, cousin. Like thing. ANYWAYS...

I saw the puppy had 2 flees on it so we gave her a flea bath, I looked in her ears and they looked fine. But that floppy ear... On the inside of its floppy hanging pippy ear skin. On the inside peach colored skin part. I saw some bumps. Like skin bumps. But have lived in Kansas in the past the "TICK" was on my mind. She is already set up with a appointment with Banfield in petsmart. And my wife showed me there website said they had a Banfield Wellness Plans. Other then the "getting her fixed" part. Is it worth the $26-38 a month?

I read that someone had posted a negative webpage on it and wanted more information.

THank you. And that link is What You Should Know About Banfield Wellness Plans - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Festaes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I looked into this but ended up spending the money on pet insurance. To me, it's easy to plan for the routine costs incurred in pet vet care - the things that the wellness plan offers. I was worried about the accidents and illnesses that would be unexpected and therefore not budgeted for (obviously, I have some money set aside for emergencies, but $3000 surgery if he swallowed something, no.). Pet insurance (depending on the plan) covers the unexpected, not routine care. The wellness plan covers routine care - shots, spay/neuter, etc. So, for me personally, it wasn't worth it as our vet's office (a local independent) provides those routine things for less than they charge at banfield. Find a vet in your area with good reviews and see what they charge for shots/spays/etc and see if it would be worth it to purchase or not.

Read your article where a selling point was that it covered office visits. Also check with a private practice on that as well as our vet doesn't charge if they come in for shots a and other routine care.

Last edited by jessac; 04-15-2013 at 12:16 AM.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I have the Wellness plan and it isn't too bad but the base price for pet insurance at least through Pet Insurance - Best Pet Insurance Plans For Dogs & Cats From Petplan isn't much more for my dog. I'm paying ~29 a month which is 348 a year but it is only the basic puppy plan. Here's the banfield site for the wellness plan: Puppy Wellness Plans - Optimum Wellness Plans - Banfield Pet Hospital. Personally I'm not a fan of them and after my first year is up with them I'm switching to a different vet. There are plenty of people here that do like them and plenty that don't. Personally if you like your banfield go for it and depending on the smaller vet offices in your area it could save you money.
AngelaA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

My vet has a wellness plan and we liked having it for Jaeger: It's just easy to budget that monthly fee and not have to pay a lot at once.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

We wanted to get that as well, but a coworker gets extra charges for everything and they just constantly stuff your pet with extra meds for no reason. Also depends on location, you can never see and talk to the vet... They just let you drop of the pup, sit in a kennel with sick dogs all day and they will get to him when they get to him... we ended up getting a normal vet and PetPlan
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't have any personal experience with Banfield but did talk to a lady at my doctors office that had this plan. Her toy breed puppy broke it's leg and they didn't cover the surgery, she ended up having to euthanize him because she couldn't afford it

If you google "Banfield Complaints" there is a lot of info that comes up you might want to read, here are a few.

787 Complaints and Reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital

http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycom...eld-a8299.html

Banfield Pet Hospital @ Pissed Consumer

I ended up going with PetPlan and we are very happy with them. Good luck with the new pup

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Its not full fledged insurance its a discount and wellness plan, that's it. You wont lose getting this if you have no expectations for anything that is expensive.

It most likely averages out to a break even or maybe a little better. I do not think its worth it since I wouldn't use a petsmart vet.

Its only good during normal petsmart hours, if that much. Most problems seem to always be after hours.

I'm sure that spam person will post next on that discount $10 plan. That is probably a better value than this.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lol kr16, i should beat her to the punch!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is my opinion and it is an opinion only. I dont have health insurance for my dogs or many animals but what I do have is a savings account specifically for my animals. I set up a side savings account (aside from my main one) at the bank. Take the $$ you would spend monthly on that insurance plan and put it into the savings account. Get yourself established with a vet and use them, many vets will offer lower rates to regular customers who pay cash every time they visit. Why let someone else have your 30-40 a month when you can save it yourself? I actually put more into it than that I put a % of my paycheck into that account every week. I let the money sit and when I need to buy flea / tick meds I pull it from there, or when I need shots, I pull it from there, or go to the vet I pull it from there. Its like having your own HSA for your pet. Each of those policies typically have a cap on what they will pay out. Think about the amount of $$ you put in their annually. IE: $30 a month * 12 = $360 for the lifetime of your pet (we will be conservative and say 12 years) 360*12= $4,320 on the side just incase? Makes more sense than paying into something that you may have to drop and having nothing to show for it. Even if you spend $150 a year on flea meds etc and your annual vet visit there is still enough to cover just that. Maybe just maybe a disaster plan would be something to consider but general coverage IMO is a waste of money.
Diesel and Lace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

We have 4 of our dogs in Wellness Plans and I believe they are worth it. The two puppy plans they offer are good but the spay/neuter one is a good deal. We live in the Kansas City area and there is only one if the many Banfield doctors that I will even let touch my dogs...the others can go to heck!! Interview doctors and ask a lot of questions and feel comfortable before you let them touch your dog. Good luck with the puppy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Karma6577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.