Perinal/Anal Fistula - Enzymes - Probiotics- how to keep it dry? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Perinal/Anal Fistula - Enzymes - Probiotics- how to keep it dry?

I've been doing some research on the forum. Most topics are over two years old and I'm sure there are things that have changed on the market.

From Germany I know that people like to use the Wobenzym and when I still lived in Germany I made my own Kefir and the dogs loved it.

Anyhow, ever since I'm here, I haven't made any Kefir but will go to the organic store today and see if they have it, so I can start growing it for Indra.

Question: Is Kefir enough of a natural pro-biotic or should I supplement on top? If so, which products did you make good experience with? The forum has suggested Longevity and I read about Prozyme.

I wish she had half the appetite for fruit and veggies as the other two. Since she's not too big on veggies, which Enzymes are good?

Also, I noticed that her skin is super dry. It's so dry she's got tons of flakes in her coat which is very unusual, none of my dogs ever had that dry of a skin so right now she's on Flaxseed and Fish Oil.

It is so dry, that whenever you run your hand through the coat she's shedding flakes. I don't know if that has to do with the Texas heat or if she was something missing in her diet.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you cannot find kefir grains at a local store, I do see they sell them on Amazon. We have always got ours local through contacts.

I buy prozyme. It has enzymes and some probiotics. I soak my food before feeding. I do not think I would be giving if I were feeding raw.

I am liking what I see with the coconut oil. Beau has no known issues, never has, but his coat is soft and shiny on that oil. You have to work up to it. Typically 1 tsp per 10lbs per day is what I found.

My dog with perianal fistulas (Toby) had allergies which I think is common - flax was bad for him but he had all KINDS of allergies, chicken being one of them. Wound up on a salmon based food.

Get on the yahoo group PF-L for the latest on fistulas.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Highly recommended.

Cultures -

Coat could be a mixture of diet and stress.
Hemp and sunflower seed oil, if you can find those. Maybe some green tripe, too.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I give Elf my PF dog kefir, but it is only a small part of her treatment plan. I just buy the ready made from Publix.

In the past I also used tacrolimus ointment, Magic Butt Creme (viscous lidocaine and desitin), rounds of steroids, and rounds of antibiotics.

Currently she is on a home prepared diet that includes kefir, and two herbs (Four Marvels Powder and a new one) with her food, and a third herb made into a paste for her hiney. We also do acupuncture treatments.

A friend has done laser treatments with success.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

That is a fascinating site!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
That is a fascinating site!
I second that!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Heidi is on TOTW pacific stream food, fish oil, Natures Pharmacy west Newf Warrior mix (probiotic, hip/joint, multi vitamine), Atopica and Ketoconazole. Not sure what helped the most but after one month of the Atopica and Ketoconazole she is much better. The vet said after her last check up that the sores on the inside where gone. Said it didn't feel like hamburger meat anymore. She has been off of it for a month now and no flare up. Since it is an autoimmune thing, stress can cause it to flare up.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

As far as the dry skin, in Texas it's pretty much the norm this time of year. Between switching from the heater to the air conditioner every other week helping to drop the inside humidity as low as it can get, and the massive amounts of pollen and fungus in the air triggering just about every inhalant and contact allergy around, it's pretty much inevitable.

Texas is brutal on allergy sufferers this time of year, especially. People and animals that never had a problem anywhere else often do when they move here.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Keep up with the coconut oil. How about green tripe? Debbie carries it. You can also rub the coconut oil all over her body.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I got her the 4Health Salmon and Potato, some TOTW wet food, ProBiotics and Enzymes from VitaVet and asked my vet if it was okay to feed her that and ordered the Kefir from the Cultur Website.

She weighed in at 61 pounds, which is 14 pounds lighter than when I send her off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.