Does your male have a distinctive "boy" smell? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Rua
Master Member

Does your male have a distinctive "boy" smell?

I saw this debate on another thread, and found it rather fascinating. I have a 5 month old intact male, and a 16 month old spayed female. Neither dog has a strong odour, unless they have rolled in fox poo.

However, I have noticed that my male does have a distinctively different smell than my female. It's not bad, nor overly strong. But it is distinctive....at least to me. Interestingly, he had a ridiculously STRONG puppy smell when we brought him home at 10 weeks. It was a sickly sweet puppy smell that permeated the whole house and lasted for a solid month before finally dissipating.

So I'm gonna throw this out there to all you folk who own males:

Do your boys smell like boys? Do they stink? Do they have no odour?

~ Juno ~ 25/10/11 ~ GSD
~ Bowser ~ 07/10/12 ~ GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

Delgado does have a slightly musky scent, I really smell it on his blankets which get washed once a month. It's not bad, just different

It has lessened slightly since he was neutered at 10 months but not by much, I just figure it's his natural odor.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

I swear my intact male smells like maple syrup!

To me it's hogwash that neutered males or intact males "smell" for that reason alone. Without the obvious that a dog is dirty, smells from swimming in the lake, etc. I would look at diet first.

Now I do believe that dogs can smell a neutered male vs intact male....same with females.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rua
Master Member

Maybe it's because I live in a house full of boys (I have 2 sons and a husband)...but the "boy" smell that Bowser has doesn't bother me. That being said, I wonder will it become stronger the older he gets since I don't plan to neuter him.

Has anyone else found that to be the case?

~ Juno ~ 25/10/11 ~ GSD
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Crowned Member

I think this might have something to do with the breed of dog it is. My male golden did have a smell, but I was told that is typical of goldens. As he got older I don't smell him, he was fixed at 6 monthish.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Elite Member

Jack is just over two and intact, and while he does smell differently than the girls, so do the girls from one another.

None are stinky. Some people might disagree, but they all just smell like love to me.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Knighted Member

Nope. He just spent two hours in a super crowded Cabela's store on Saturday, getting petted and made a star by at least 100 people. The only comments were: "Wow, he's soft! Wow he's shiny! What do you feed him?!" Plus the usual "GORGEOUS". Not one person smelled their hands or said he "stunk".

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I swear my intact male smells like maple syrup!

To me it's hogwash that neutered males or intact males "smell" for that reason alone. Without the obvious that a dog is dirty, smells from swimming in the lake, etc. I would look at diet first.

Now I do believe that dogs can smell a neutered male vs intact male....same with females.
Maple Syrup smells good!

I wish I could've bottled that smell Bowser had when we brought him home from the breeders. Juno did NOT have a puppy smell hardly at all. (Then again, I suspect she was weaned from her mum too young.) Whereas, Bowser was with his mum and last litter mate right up to the day I collected him. Every so often, I catch a little whiff of it around the back of his head if his fur gets wet. But it's pretty much all gone...and he smells more like a boy now. lol

~ Juno ~ 25/10/11 ~ GSD
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Rua
Master Member

I just wanna clarify this: When I say "smell", I don't mean "stink". Maybe I should be using the word "scent".

My dogs distinctively have a male and female scent TO ME. But neither is stinky. To everyone else, they don't have any smell. In fact, we get compliments on how soft and lovely their coats are, and how they don't have "doggy odour".

It's the same as both of my sons having their own distinctive scent that only I as their mother would know.

~ Juno ~ 25/10/11 ~ GSD
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rua View Post
I just wanna clarify this: When I say "smell", I don't mean "stink". Maybe I should be using the word "scent".

My dogs distinctively have a male and female scent TO ME. But neither is stinky. To everyone else, they don't have any smell. In fact, we get compliments on how soft and lovely their coats are, and how they don't have "doggy odour".

It's the same as both of my sons having their own distinctive scent that only I as their mother would know.

Yes. This is what I meant.

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page