Jax needs surgery :/ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jax needs surgery :/

Jax is a 6 month old puppy that has been through a lot. When I first got him he was infested with fleas. I quickly put that problem to rest and made him a happy puppy. Then the poor guy managed to break a toe. Took him in as soon as possible and he was on the road to recovery. This was interrupted by swelling and rawness in between his toes due to lack of air circulation. After letting that heal and allowing his toe to heal, he later found a small stick and managed to get a chunk of it lodged in between his teeth. After a couple days of mouth pains and bad breath I realized the cause of his pain and removed the stick. After all this, he still has to deal with Cryptorchidism. He has gone a couple weeks now without any crazy issues, so I guess he figured it was time to put me to work again. I noticed a pretty good sized lump on his neck and took him to the vet. They couldn't figure out what it was, but they recommended surgery. These frequent vet visits are not cheap and now surgery? I am looking into insurance but not sure if I can get it with an existing issue. Any recommendations on what I should do for Jax? I would like to save some money on his operation. Thanks in advance for the help. Jax is thankful too
Attached Thumbnails
Jax needs surgery :/-_mg_7155.jpg  
Jax's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm guessing since they didn't diagnose him with anything because they can't figure out what it is, then its not anything that can be considered pre existing? I know its a fine line, but it is the truth. Poor pup, hopefully he doesn't have any issues after this one.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Jax needs surgery :/

Well even though they didn't know what it was, they took X-rays and documented it. So I feel like it makes it some what official. Just trying to be smart with this time as opposed to just shelling out the money.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If it's a lump then it should be aspirated before determining surgery...at 8 months I don't know if is just a fatty cyst - I doubt it is although it could depend on his immune system.

I would do some research as sometimes these thing can be resolved on their own and w/removal winds up returning and bigger.

the lump could be a nick from a branch or flea bite or something caught under the skin and the white blood cells accumulate dealing - doing what supposed to do.

try applying some raw organic apple cider vinigar - do compresses a few times a day.

How big is it? Does it move under the skin or seem fixed?

Where on his neck...near shoulders where he could have had a vaccine?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 02-20-2013 at 07:27 AM.
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What is good size? I don't know squat about these things, but I remember one of our pups having a lump on the back of her neck. Our vet said it was the injection site from one of her vaccines, some kind of reaction i guess. It was slightly smaller than a quarter. Hope Jax can catch a break, poor guy!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Poor little guy having a rough start and can't catch a break. Hope all turns out OK best of luck..
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Second opinion would be what I would do first, just to be sure and to find out what kind of lump, why a puppy has a lump, etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

The lump is about golf ball size and is fixed. It is hard and mineralized and seems to be embedded into his muscle and possibly fixed to one of his vertebrae. I will try and get the x-ray from the vet and post it up here for more people to see. The thing looks to be a small head of coli flower. It is on his neck right above his right shoulder blade. She mentioned a vaccine and said that their office doesn't give them that high. I tried to be nice and ask if they messed up, but she seemed pretty sure. I got the dog when he was 8 weeks so he had a few prior shots already. Maybe it could have been from that vet?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The lump on my dog was firm, but not hard like you are describing. Your discription made me think of something else, my son chipped a fragment of growth plate, just above his knee. This fragment grew and may continue to grow at the lower end of his femur. He has a noticeable lump there. I wonder if something similar could be going on with your pup.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

eesh..that does not sound good.

here is a link that describes a bunch of benign skin tumors (incl. description of cauliflower type)...golf ball size, yikes!

Quite possible this cound be from vaccine prior to the vet...def. get a second opinion and aspirate (sample of the fluid inside to see what cyst is made up of)

Benign Skin Tumors in Dogs
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.