Natural remedy for itchy, stinky ears? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Natural remedy for itchy, stinky ears?

Onyx has been itching his ears a lot lately...he got his foot in there somehow today and now he's made himself bleed. And they're smelling funky. He hates the drops the vet gave me and he fights me everytime I try to put them in his ears. He will let me wipe his ears out with a tissue but that's about it.

Is there a natural remedy that anyone knows of so I don't have to wrestle him twice a day?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
PrideofTrinitysOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Was he diagnosed with an ear infection at the vets?

Is this a recurring infection, or one time?

If its one time, go with what the vet gave you. If you can't give your dog medications when he needs it, you need to find someone to help you with that (restraining your dog for now, then also conditioning and teaching your dog to be accepting of handling)

If its recurring - are there any other symptoms other than the ears present?
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

He was diagnosed with the same thing a few months ago but he fought so bad with the vet and the tech that they had to give him a sedative and a muzzle. He doesn't fight me as much, and it's getting a little easier everyday, I just feel bad bc I know he hates it.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

And there arent any other symptoms..just him scratching

Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

find someone to help you give him his drops.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have never used - but many on here swear by zymox - and it's only 1x per day. and it's OTC, can order online or perhaps petco or petsmart, although not available retail where I am
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Yes he is going to fight it, because his ears are raw and bleeding. Not a good scenario.

What I'd do, is ask the vet how to prevent the situation rather than treating the symptoms after things go south.

What diet is this dog on? If it's chicken based, or has corn, wheat, soy and/or by products, you might want to switch to a "unique protein" source such as fish or venison.

Also ask about benadryl to help with the itching.

It's probably yeast-based and it does itch intensely. Please work with your vet to find a solution. Don't wipe with a tissue without using a mild/gentle ear cleanser and/or medication. You'll only make things worse. Plus with all the open sores, there will likely be bacteria invading so you have not one, but two issues going on.

DO look into Vetericyn.

We have cured a few dog ear infections now with it.
Vetericyn - Wound and Infection Treatment - Broad Spectrum Antimicrobial

******************************(from the website, below)
Non-toxic and Non-irritating

Commonly used wound cleaners such as hydrogen peroxide damage tissue on a cellular level, and may prolong healing times. (Not recommended for use in cleaning out wounds.) Vetericyn is a strong oxidant - it disrupts the cell structure of the pathogens (germs) and adds oxygen to the wound area, speeding healing times.

2) Otitis externa - A very large dog (115 lbs) who originally presented for a secondary yeast infection (cytology) on a Friday. I sent ear cleaner and Otomax ointment. The owner called the following Tuesday to say that when she cleaned the ears she was now getting a thin ropy brownish material from both ears and the dog was very pruritic (itchy).

On recheck, it was predominately gram negative (sent off for culture and was Proteus mirabilis, resistant to almost everything but Baytril - the owner about passed out at the cost of Baytril or Zeniquin.). The owner wasn't able to clean the sore ears at home so I boarded the dog and cleaned the ears (filled the ear canals with Vetericyn solution, placed a cotton ball in the opening and rubbed vigorously) twice daily, followed by Otomax ointment. Within 4 days , the dog was doing much better and I sent home to continue treatment for the next 2 weeks.

I have treated several cases of yeast and bacterial otitis externa and have found that Vetericyn alone is not very effective as a sole agent and still send either Otomax or Tresaderm to use after cleaning. The nice thing is that Vetericyn does not irritate a sore ear and is safe even if the tympanic membrane is ruptured.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideofTrinitysOnyx View Post
Onyx has been itching his ears a lot lately...he got his foot in there somehow today and now he's made himself bleed. And they're smelling funky. He hates the drops the vet gave me and he fights me everytime I try to put them in his ears. He will let me wipe his ears out with a tissue but that's about it.

Is there a natural remedy that anyone knows of so I don't have to wrestle him twice a day?

Not a natural but my vet gave me "Mometamax". Use 1 time a day. Stuff works great on Kaos. He hates getting the drops also. Always wants to move away (he's a real friendly GS though). So I put a drop on my finger tip and then rub it on the inside top of his ear. He knows it's coming and starts to wine but won't move. If your GS lets you wipe his ears with a tissue he should let you put a drop on your fingertip.....

When Kaos ears bother him it's usually one at a time and it seems to bother him at night after he has been sleeping. Then he gets up shaking his head and then using his paw on it......
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

We feed him puppy chow.

He went to obedience school today and he came home a completely different dog. He sat still and actually let me put the drops in his left ear. The right ear was a fight but that's the one that bothers him the most.

I'm going to look into that vetericyn. He has an appt Wednesday to get his testicles checked out so ill ask the vet about it.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Puppy Chow (Purina, right?) has a ton of corn and little to no real meat.

Are you able to switch him to something like - Kirkland Signature (from Costco), Diamond NATURALS large breed puppy, 4health Large breed puppy, etc.?

Basically you'll want to avoid the presence of CORN, WHEAT, SOY and BY-PRODUCTS in his food. To do so just may help his ears, maybe not, but it's better nutrition if you can get real meat instead of byproducts
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.