What time of year are dogs more prone to ticks and fleas ????? tell me your stories. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What time of year are dogs more prone to ticks and fleas ????? tell me your stories.

what time of year are dogs more prone to ticks and fleas ????? tell me your stories.......

Zola 2012-

Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

OMG here in Florida seems like all yr round but back in N.y I never had a problem figure that 1 out.
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ticks depend on where you live or hike(often). I have never had a problem with ticks. Fleas are active from about March to November and dogs are treated during those times. I have never had a problem with fleas either.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

May-June for ticks here in eastern Washington. Years back, I had taken my lab, she was a 3month(?) old pup at the time and my malamute to a lake. I had to walk through a wheat field that was recently plowed, followed by an area of thick grass and brush. When I made it to the shore and looked at both dogs, they had what looked like thousands of them crawling in and out of their fur, I looked at my pants and I was covered as well. I walked back to the plowed field and tried to get as many off as I could before heading back to my truck. I ended up striping down to my underwear for myself and managed to get a number of them off the pup, but my malamute was gonna need some frontline. The next day after treating both, there were so many dead or dying ticks in their kennel it was insane, I've never seen anything like it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The ticks are already out here! I can attest that the "tick twister" they sell at petco works very well in deep fur.

It is too early to spread nematodes in my yard; they kept them at bay last year.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The ticks are already out here! I can attest that the "tick twister" they sell at petco works very well in deep fur.

It is too early to spread nematodes in my yard; they kept them at bay last year.
just bought one of them tick twister things i never thought they were such a problem.im not sure if ticks are bad in the uk....... zolas mam ursula

Zola 2012-

Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
May-June for ticks here in eastern Washington. Years back, I had taken my lab, she was a 3month(?) old pup at the time and my malamute to a lake. I had to walk through a wheat field that was recently plowed, followed by an area of thick grass and brush. When I made it to the shore and looked at both dogs, they had what looked like thousands of them crawling in and out of their fur, I looked at my pants and I was covered as well. I walked back to the plowed field and tried to get as many off as I could before heading back to my truck. I ended up striping down to my underwear for myself and managed to get a number of them off the pup, but my malamute was gonna need some frontline. The next day after treating both, there were so many dead or dying ticks in their kennel it was insane, I've never seen anything like it.

Actually, I've found out the hard way it's March- through an extended heat wave, so about the end of July.

Rocket has gotten ticks in our backyard/back of property at both ends of the spectrum. I used to think it was May/June, and then my dad laughed at me and said "You better start putting tick stuff on him beginning of March". I didn't, but after stepping on a dead one with my sock (and squishing out a bunch of blood : puke: ) that had fallen off him last March, then finding another one on him, you bet I got out the Advantix. I find in heavy seasons, the Advantix only gets him about 2 1/2 weeks effectiveness. I won't dose him more than the instructions say, but it's totally gross and worrisome to pull them off that last 10 days or so.

We don't really have fleas here like other areas, though, so I guess that's something.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It is pretty brutal - I pulled off three last night, one this morning and three more just now.

As much as I htated to do it I opened up a preventic collar and stuck it on him. LAST YEAR he only picked up two ticks the whole summer. eeeeeeek. This does not bode well for tick season.

The tick twister is amazing though .... it really DOES pull out the WHOLE tick and very easily. The last three were in that thick ruff of hair right under his jawline.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post

Where do you buy the nematodes?
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Arbico organics

Organic Gardening Supplies and Biological Pest Control Products from ARBICO

I was just looking there! I think you have to be frost free as I recall which is normally in March for us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.