Frequent diarrhea, back from boarding... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Default Frequent diarrhea, back from boarding...

Saturday I drop the dog off at day care. Pick him up and he is sufficiently exhausted, so that was a success. The girls there said he would not stop playing for like 5 hours straight.
However now he has diarrhea everywhere. Frequent, like 3 or 4 times a day. He is waking me up at 3am to go.
It is frozen here and snowing so I really do not think he would have gotten into some nasty standing water at the board. I would think that would rule out giardia and coccidia?
He is also blase about his food, ignoring a few things in each dish (hearts mostly); which he normally eats ravenously so I broiled him up hamburger, cottage cheese on the side, and mixed in feed-sentials. Still he ignored the cottage cheese and supplement which he usually goes nuts for.
One last thing is that he seems to be fatigued more than usual at the moment. Normally zipping around, I want to attribute that to being tired from daycare but not 2 days after the fact?
Only seen a semi-formed poop twice out of ten or so. And that I would not even count.

I am hoping this boiled meat and cheese will help, but if it doesn't I will take him to the vet tomorrow and start a 24-hour fast. Just hoping to rule out any thing if someone has an idea.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Take a fecal in today. My vet office allows a drop off without seeing the dog. They may not but see if they will.

Could also be stress colitis - even though he had fun.

I tend to try to do the 12 hour fast first then start with bland foods (small servings of oatmeal and pumpkin to start).
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ditch the cottage cheese and give him pumpkin and extra chicken necks to tighten up his tummy. And absolutely, get a fecal done.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 02-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd bring in a fecal. Large groups of dogs like that can pass who knows what along to each other.
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Well, he had not crapped since 3am yesterday morning, until this morning. And I lost it in the snow (like heck I am picking up his runs at 3am) so I could not take a fecal in yesterday.

Today he had a very nice poop. It never ceases to amaze me that I can still say something like that.

Yest, 7AM: 1LB ground beef slightly browned, cottage cheese, feedsentials
10PM: ~1/3LB ground beef, boiled in with brown rice, bit of liver, bit of broccoli

Going to continue the boiled mix until it is gone, but should I still be concerned about anything ?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would just make sure he's getting enough liquid. If he had that sort of diarrhea he may be a little dehydrated.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

He wouldnt get diarhea that soon if he did pick up worms. He probably just got stressed. Rice, pumpkin, boiled chicken should help.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

did they give him some "treats" that upset his stomach?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Diarrhea is back after that last good poop. Not solid at all. Twice in 30 minutes this morning, and it is truly terrible smelling.
He also vomited a decent amount of brownish liquid this morning. He does vomit bile in small amounts if he does not get a midnight snack, but I did give him a bite, but have never seen brown come up.

Fecal is negative for parasites.

I have a hard time believing treats could upset him like this, for 5 days. I have been wrong before.

Have also been adding extra water to the rice and burger combo to make sure he is hydrated.

I will give him a day to see if lesser portions will help, if not, it is off to the vet.

Thankful for the snow makes clean up at least a bit feasible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.