Hello from Virginia (discussions on neurological diseases in GSDs) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from Virginia (discussions on neurological diseases in GSDs)

I have proudly shared my life with GSDs for over 30 years!

I'm looking for discussions on neurological diseases in GSDs. This past Wednesday (1/30/13) I had to make the heartbreakingly difficult decision to say goodbye to my beloved 3 1/2 year old male GSD. He was presenting with classic herniated disc symptoms and conservative treatment helped but not much. It was decided that an MRI and surgery would be necessary to get him back on all fours. He had a neurological exam and MRI on Tuesday 1/29.
The neurologist was certain that he had a ruptured disc in his mid-back and went ahead and scheduled surgery to follow the MRI. The MRI showed absolutely nothing wrong with his spine. Nothing. His problem was neurological but DM was ruled out due to his age (3 1/2), the suddenness with which the symptoms arose, and the pain and swelling in his back.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with a young shepherd?

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.
myboyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

So sorry to hear about your dog. What did your breeder say and how are the littermates in case there is a genetic component?
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cian was a rescue. He was picked up in Rutherford County NC as an abandoned/stray and was on death row. He was 6 months old when I adopted him. I have no other information but my vet did a very thorough exam when I got him and he was in excellent health. His recent MRI showed a healthy spine. His primary care vets and the neurologist are as puzzled as I am. He went from running and playing one day to walking like a drunken sailor the next. This quickly progressed to him literally sitting and scooting/dragging his hindend. I'm heartbroken as he was the most loving, gentlest GSD ever. Everyone who met him fell in love with him.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm so sorry about your dog.

Did you check him for tick diseases? One of my dogs fell over one day and was paralyzed. Long story short, he had a bad infection of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It took him a month before he could walk again, and six months before he was almost-but not quite normal. He died a year later from hemangiosarcoma, which two vets think was at least indirectly caused by the RMSF, a blood-borne infection.

Your dog also could have had a spinal embolism.
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes he was checked for all sorts of tick and bacterial infections. Nothing. Spinal embolism? I'm going to look that up. It wasn't mentioned. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Was Myasthenia gravis (MG) tested for with bloodwork? Recently euthanized a 3 yr old GSD in my clinic for it. Presented with intermittent rear limb paralysis and lethargy.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyz View Post
Cian was a rescue. He was picked up in Rutherford County NC as an abandoned/stray and was on death row. He was 6 months old when I adopted him. I have no other information but my vet did a very thorough exam when I got him and he was in excellent health. His recent MRI showed a healthy spine. His primary care vets and the neurologist are as puzzled as I am. He went from running and playing one day to walking like a drunken sailor the next. This quickly progressed to him literally sitting and scooting/dragging his hindend. I'm heartbroken as he was the most loving, gentlest GSD ever. Everyone who met him fell in love with him.

Had he had a recent vaccine prior to the symptoms?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't believe they tested for MG. He had not had any vaccinations prior to this. It's heartbreaking.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I have proudly shared my life with GSDs for over 30 years!

I'm looking for discussions on neurological diseases in GSDs. This past Wednesday (1/30/13) I had to make the heartbreakingly difficult decision to say goodbye to my beloved 3 1/2 year old male GSD. He was presenting with classic herniated disc symptoms and conservative treatment helped but not much. It was decided that an MRI and surgery would be necessary to get him back on all fours. He had a neurological exam and MRI on Tuesday 1/29.
The neurologist was certain that he had a ruptured disc in his mid-back and went ahead and scheduled surgery to follow the MRI. The MRI showed absolutely nothing wrong with his spine. Nothing. His problem was neurological but DM was ruled out due to his age (3 1/2), the suddenness with which the symptoms arose, and the pain and swelling in his back.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with a young shepherd?
I'm sorry for your loss. I have been through both DM with a 9 year old and tick illness with seizures with another one and neither sounds anything like what you are describing. However, there are many different tick illnesses my dog had a really rare one called Babesia.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yes he was checked for all sorts of tick and bacterial infections. Nothing. Spinal embolism? I'm going to look that up. It wasn't mentioned. Thanks.
Also known as "FCE". however, the neuro vet should have seen it or known about it from the MRI. What was the diagnosis?? They just said they didn't know?

Fibrocartilaginous Embolism
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.