Thrashing rear legs while sleeping....(caused by Rimadyl and Tramadol ?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thrashing rear legs while sleeping....(caused by Rimadyl and Tramadol ?)

Anyone ever experience anything like this??

I have an 9 and 1/2 year old GS "Kaos". He is on Rimadyl and Tramadol for his hips. About a week ago I noticed his right rear leg would twitch while asleep. Didn't think much of that since every GS I have had at one time or another the legs would twitch. But it did seem to last longer then normal....

Last night after he went to sleep his legs started thrashing (like restless leg syndrome in people I guess. Or like if he was scratching himself for an itch). Depending on what side he was on the other leg would do it every minute or so for a few seconds. Turning him on his back helped but then both would go back and forth. This continued all night at varying intervals lasting a few seconds each. He didn't seem in any pain. It continued even after he was awake lying down. Right now it has stopped. I called the Vet first thing to get him in today. Any guess what this is. Could it be pain from his hip problems?? Thanx Much.....
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 01-31-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My lab does that quite often when she is sleeping, I just always thought she was having a bad dream.

You mentioned that your pup does that when awake also, so I don't have any idea, sorry. Maybe someone else will come along later with a suggestion for you.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Felix does this also. Only his 2 rear legs so I'm convinced that he's a human in his dreams. It's usually accompanied by some muffled barks and breathing as though he's running. I chalk it up to a dream.
Felix's Proud Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanx for the replies....Just got back from Newkirk vets an hour or so ago. He thinks it was caused by a slight pinched nerve in his back. He did some chiropractic work on Kaos spine.....

This was different from the normal doggie mares as it lasted all night even when he would wake up during the night it continued....

Kaos wasn't due for the rimadyl - tramadol blood work until next month. I had them do the tests today. Came back at 26 which they said is where it should be.....

Took him just to make sure it wasn't a seizure of any kind.... I am aware of the risks and side effects of the meds but he has to be on them or he won't walk. Or he will be in my last GS Genesis DM cart. In addition Kaos gets fish oil tabs. 3000 mg of glucosamine. 1600 mg of chondriotin and 1500 mg of MSM. Kaos had had stem cell done last April which didn't work at all (and with the complications cost me $3000). Having total hip replacements done at the University of Penn would cost me over $11,000 which I don't have (already way to much debt). If they could guarantee me no rejection and everything would come out fine I would sell my car and have it done......

(edit) Has anyone tried giving deer antler velvet supplements on their GS for hip problems. I am thinking of trying it.....
Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony..RIP Your paw prints burned forever into my broken heart.

Last edited by Fade2Black; 01-31-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hate to say this but my dog started to do that rear leg thing shortly before we were told he had dm. Later after researching I discovered it was often times a sign.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I hate to say this but my dog started to do that rear leg thing shortly before we were told he had dm. Later after researching I discovered it was often times a sign.
:flashing my ignoranceM?
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Been through that nightmare once. Vet has done that knuckle test on Kaos before....

I discovered my last GS had it around age 10 after he just wobbled in the kitchen while standing up. He never did the rear leg thing. But ya once you go through DM it always crosses your mind......
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Pinched nerves can mimic some of the symptoms as DM. Vet gave me a heart attack when he mentioned DM as a possible diagnosis for my dog...turns out it is a lower back problem (not great either, but at least it can be cured with surgery if it ever gets to that point).

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.