SA and valerian root - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default SA and valerian root

So long story short, about once a week my wife and my schedules collide. We both work overnights,12 hours at a time. I have a 7mo male. I have an outdoor kennel in the basement that I put him in when we are both at work and he seems to do ok. He has the normal seperation anxiety, but the other day he was able to escape the kennel. Its a large metal link 10x10x10. I repaired it, but I'm worried about him getting out again or possibly hurting himself. I don't wAnt to crate him for 12 hours with no room to really move or drink. Would it be feasible to give him a little valerian root to help calm him while we're gone? This only happens about once a week with our schedules, if that often. I don't want him to be drugged out, of course. I'm just more worried about coming home and him having hurt himself climbing out under the metal links. Thanks!
Krieger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am personally not familiar with valerian root alone, so can not answer on that. But there are several calming agents you can try. Natural - lavender. A substance called ResQ can be purchased at most holistic shops and vitamin cottage like places (sprouts, sunflower market, etc...). You can also try composure, which contains valerian. I know my vet clinic sells it.
Amazon.com: Composure for Medium and Large Dogs, 60 Soft Chews: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Composure for Medium and Large Dogs, 60 Soft Chews: Pet Supplies

Thunder shirts have been shown to work extremely well on about 80% of patients, so that may not hurt to try.
Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've read elsewhere that composure doesn't work very well. I wish it would for vetting aggressive dogs. Still searching for the magic pill!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input, i'll check out my local pet stores and see what they have in stock. I have some melatonin and valerian root laying around. I take them sometimes to help with sleep. Worst case, i'll try a little valerian or melatonin and see what happens.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would do this when you are home to observe any reactions first.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've tried using Valerian to calm dogs down, but I didn't notice much of a difference. It does make ME sleepy, though.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

GABA mixed with valerian is awesome... GABA is gamma-Aminobutyric acid.. it works synergistacally with Valerian... 500-1500mg each should do the trick
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, I'll definitely monitor him first before giving it to him while away. Never thought of using GABA. I have some of that laying around too, though I wonder if dogs experience the same CNS effects that humans do. First time I took it, I was surprised at the perceived respiratory suppression effects from it lol.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger00 View Post
Yes, I'll definitely monitor him first before giving it to him while away. Never thought of using GABA. I have some of that laying around too, though I wonder if dogs experience the same CNS effects that humans do. First time I took it, I was surprised at the perceived respiratory suppression effects from it lol.
I'm fairly certain it won't do any harm.... it's also good for muscle development, body builders take it... not sure how, but it gas something to do with the Anabolic processes.
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human View Post
I'm fairly certain it won't do any harm.... it's also good for muscle development, body builders take it... not sure how, but it gas something to do with the Anabolic processes.
Yes, I took it regularly when in my heavy weightlifting days. I still supplement is occasionally if I'm in need of a good sleep. Those who have taken it know that when you ingest up to certain amounts, you start to have a preceived need to breathe more often and deeply, for the first 10 minutes or so. Think not being able to catch your breath. But with the above mentioned amount, I doubt my pup would have that reaction. i'll give it a go and see how he does. I'll start with just valerian. A couple caps from my bottle, which is below the amount for a human, and see how he does. Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.