Offer to relocate to Las Vegas - would I be cruel to my poor puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Offer to relocate to Las Vegas - would I be cruel to my poor puppy?

I have a beautiful 10 month old German Shepherd named Rommel. Rommel is gorgeous, friendly, and exceedingly huge. I live in Texas (which can get VERY hot) but an extremely lucrative opportunity has presented itself in Las Vegas. I've been to Vegas before. It isn't hot. It is the wrath of ****, come to visit the earth and seek its vengeance. 120+ Degrees in the summer.

I am worried about how this would affect Rommel if I tried to do it. Local vegas-ites say that he would be fine as long as I used a dog door and walked him early in the morning and late at night. Is this true or nonsense?
Darkenor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hopefully someone who used to live there, will answer. Though I can understand walking at night or in the early morning would be better. If Texas is like South Dakota, sure it gets hot in summer, but not that hot or that long as in Las Vegas. My other concern would be the big city, unless you are living in a city now. If Rommel has a big backyard or you live in the country, he has room to run and exercise where you are now.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Hopefully someone who used to live there, will answer. Though I can understand walking at night or in the early morning would be better. If Texas is like South Dakota, sure it gets hot in summer, but not that hot or that long as in Las Vegas. My other concern would be the big city, unless you are living in a city now. If Rommel has a big backyard or you live in the country, he has room to run and exercise where you are now.
Texas gets pretty hot (hotter than South Dakota and nowhere near as cold in the winter). He does have a backyard, but he'd have a huge back yard there as well.
Darkenor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They worked GSD in Iraq in 130 degree temperatures. But Las Vegas, my mom went there for a few days. She had dry eye. And it was horrible there in that respect.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can look up the climate data of Vegas. I think the census has a lot of other stats, too.
I know people with GSDs that live in Vegas. For the winter. They summer in Oregon.

However - You will probably have A.C., and in Vegas it will be a dry heat. Part of TX is damp heat, part dry. (east TX soggy; west TX dry). All of NV dry. Unless you fall in Lake Tahoe or one of the other lakes.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try sending Zeeva a pm, she is from Las Vegas, but recently moved to Chicago.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Vegas to Chicago? I don't know what winters are like down there, but I think the windy city is kind of like us, and it is yucky cold and snowy and icy and well, it is time when layers are the way to survival.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can't say too much about Vegas weather. The best thing I can say is that, when I moved from a drier heat to the wet, sticky damp heat (110+ for weeks at a time with 90% humidity), it didn't seem to affect my pup too much. We didn't do too much outside and when we did, it was for very short periods of time; 10 minutes max. We did our daily walks early in the morning and late at night. We also had a kiddie pool outside that he loved as a good cool down and we bought another water dish and had it full of water and ice cubes. I think your boy will be fine. IMO.

Good luck with your move!

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I lived in Las Vegas for 4 years with a purely out door husky and then a white gsd. We built them an air conditioned dog house but they never used it. Even in the dead of summer we would go out for walks at night. I lived in a good area so I was lucky. Your pup will be fine in the heat. If you have any other concerns let me know!!!

Also my house out there is rented to a family with 2 or 3 dogs and the tenant is a dog trainer. I knew a lot of people with dogs in Las Vegas. Most of the city is very dog friendly complete with potty bag dispensers at parks and on walking paths!!! I love Vegas. Good luck to you. You'll learn to endure the heat as will your pup, trust me! I worked as a conservation biologist and was in the field sometimes over 10 hours a day. Other than the dryness the heat never got to me...

Last edited by Zeeva; 01-27-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i doubt you will be the only gsd owner in vegas. just use common sense and let your pup acclimate to the temps. you will be be fine.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.