Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Great Mills, MD
I'm so frustrated...
I took Gigi to the vet this morning to have her spayed. When we got there, the tech who did the intake was obviously not happy with her job. We sat down and went over the questionare. By the end, I felt like I was speaking Watutsi. The tech made me feel like I was the worst pet owner in the world. I got scolded because I'm not putting a chip in her, but they use chips that are associated with one Lost Pet service and all of the other animals we have are under someone else. I know it's silly, but I want them all under the same service. She gets her chip in two weeks.
Then I get scolded because she just came out of heat. We've been playing the 'schedule the spay' game for two months now. She seems to go into heat every 14-21 days, but it wasn't regular. Three different times she went into heat the night before surgery. She went out of heat and we scheduled it as quickly as we could. As the tech said, "Well, she could die because she's just out of heat. You should've spayed her sooner."
The best part came last. When we spayed Bailey, we kept her in a medium sized dog kennel. We put thick plastic sheeting around the top sides of the kennel to keep her from climbing and Vick's rub around her incision to keep her from licking. They glued her shut. We kept her in there for 10 days per the recommendation of the vet. We took her for her post op appointment and they said she was fine. We let her out of the kennel and the next night, she started howling like something was trying to kill her. Hubby picked her up and felt something go warm against his hand. He turned her over and the bottom half of her incision tore open and a ton of bloody pus poured out.
I'm a Paramedic by trade and I've smelled very dead things. This was worse. I had also just had back surgery, so I was in no shape to go anywhere. Hubby crated her and rushed her off to the E-Vet. 1500$ and emergency surgery later...the E-Vet said that it didn't look like the glue held long enough and it probably started to open just the tiniest bit, which brought on the infection and it kinda ate its way out...
So, I asked the tech to make sure that it was written into the chart that we wanted her stitched up. The tech argued with me for twenty minutes. I put my foot down and told her that, if she didn't double document that I wanted stitches, I was taking Gigi home. She wrote it down on the chart and we went on our way.
Today at around 4, they called to say she got out of surgery and she was doing fine. The surgeon and I talked for a few minutes and she mentioned that she was snuggled up with her wubbie and she should be ready to go home tomorrow. I asked her about scheduling the follow up for stitch removal and the surgeon says this: "Well, I saw that note, but I didn't want to do the stitches. Glue is fine."
I had a cow on the spot. I am furious! I begged and pleaded for stitches. This vet isn't an E-Vet. If Gigi has an issue, I have to take her two counties over for care. I don't have a lot of choices when it comes to vet care; one office refuses to see 'dangerous breeds', the other office isn't a very sanitary place, and I have the vet we use, who we absolutely love outside of their surgeons. The E-Vet has normal clinic hours, but their prices are outrageous-300$ for a standard visit, not including anything they do to the animal. An e-visit is 500$ off the top.
I can't believe that they refused to do something that we asked. As a healthcare provider, I'm used to respecting the patients' wishes and when the patient can't make their own decisions, the family's decision. My cat can't speak English, so I am making them for her. I wish the surgeon would have talked to me first about not doing stitches. The practice is familiar with what happened to Bailey.
The poor girl hasn't been right since; ten days in the kennel post-op, then not even 24 hours out of it before she went right back in for another ten days. We tried to pet her, to do gentle snuggles, even let her out to walk around the bathroom, but it did something to her...after day 5, she would run to the corner of the bathroom and start shaking and howling. If you went near her, she would deficate everywhere out of fear. She is now hyper-skittish and is afraid of everything. Even me shifting on the couch as she walks past sends her scurrying. We had her on Prozac and Valium, but now she's just on Valium as needed if we know we are having a get together or just more people in the house than us.
I don't want the same thing happening to my Gigi. Gi is such a cuddlebug; she's a velcro-kitty! Everywhere I go, she goes. It's like having a GSD in a 5lb package. I'm so worried about her...
Thanks for letting me rant. Sorry it was so long.
RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.
Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.
"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"