German Shepherds Forum banner

shivering and feeling hot

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Alessandra Todaro 
#1 ·
when I got home today from working out I noticed Brutus wasn't acting himself. He went to the bathroom and everything looked normal.. he normally eats 3-4 cups a day and he only ate 1. He isn't being playful and he didn't want his bone to chew on which is not normal for him. I noticed about 30 minutes ago he started shaking really bad like he has the chills. His nose is dry and when I touch his fur it feels hot and like he has been sweating a lot... he is refusing water and i try to feed him from my hand and he won't eat at all. I am making him some rice right now in hopes he will eat that. He was either by my side or in his kennel all day so he didn't eat anything that he wasn't supposed to. I am concerned because he this isn't like him to be this way. I should also mention we put flea medicine on him sunday afternoon. Could that be it? is there anything that I should look or watch out for over the next couple of hours? if it gets worse I plan to bring him to the emergency vet but I want to make sure that I try everything at home before I do that. Any advice helps .. I am becoming extremely worried.

#3 ·
How old is he? Shivering does not sound good. It could be a reaction from spot on treatment, but how bad of a reaction is the question...can you take his temp.?

did he have a recent vaccine? what?

If Anubus is on here she may have better idea of symptoms and whether you should get to the vet asap.

#21 ·
If Anubus is on here she may have better idea of symptoms and whether you should get to the vet asap.
Thank you :)

As far as Brutus, I'm glad to hear he is feeling better. As someone else said, bladder infections don't generally tend to make a temperature increase that much, but pain can also cause a temp to increase. I know with a simple UTI I want to curl up and die, so I can only imagine the poor dogs that have no idea what's going on :( Keep an eye on him, and hopefully he makes a good, full recovery

#6 ·
At least call the emerg. clinic and see what crisis temp is...is he drinking yet?

#7 ·
vet please right away. e-vet, right away. way, way better to be safe than sorry.

#9 ·
So sorry... I know you must be so worried, I would be too!

I would definitely be on the phone with the vet or e-vet by now! And, I would absolutely follow whatever recommendation they make.

FWIW, my dog has never had a reaction like that to flea treatment. So, again, please continue to closely monitor your dog and be in communication with your vet or the e-vet. They will give you the best advice as to how to proceed.

Wishing you and your pup all the best!!!!

#12 ·
I brought him in and they gave him fluids and some anti inflammatory. I brought him in because I couldn't handle it anymore. She said it could be a reaction to the flea meds or a little virus starting to form. We got him to eat a little bit of food and is fever has gone down to 104.5 now... thanks all for the advice ... I will be keeping a close eye on him .. he is snuggling up next to me and he seems to feel a little better

#13 ·
How is your doggie doing today? Did the fever come down?
and...How are you today did you get any sleep?

#14 ·
He is doing a lot better still eating only a little but I have him drinking tons of water... His fever has come down from a 105.4 to a 102.1 last I checked this morning.. I didn't get much sleep that night just because my nerves were so bad after I went to the ER vet and the injection she gave him made him have really bad accidents all night so I was up every 30 minutes letting him out and cleaning up urine. Which i didn't mind considering he was feeling so terrible

Thanks so much for asking ... Brutus says thanks too :wub:

#15 ·
He probably has a simple virus (like us and the flu), takes time to run it's course...

Glad he's feeling better...as long as he is drinking, dogs can fast for a long time, give him time, he will let you know:)

#16 ·
hey brutus...dude, so glad you're doin' better! sounds like flea meds reaction. imho.

#17 ·
Glad he is feeling better! Similar thing happened to us once but my dog was 2- shivering, just laying down refusing to get up, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink. I was so glad the e-vet is only 10 minute away (we live near a vet school). Of course, as soon as we get there the excitement had him acting much more normal but he still had to be treated for some parasitic or bacterial infection (not sure which). One of the more stressful nights of my life...

#22 ·
I think any time anyone's dog is running a temp over 105, it should be a given they should be at the vet already. It shouldn't take a vet tech to determine that, no offense, Anubis!
My son had a temp over 105 when he was an infant and was hospitalized 3 days because it's not "normal" or "typical" to run that high of temp, and as was said on the first page, brain damage can occur quite easily at those high of temps.

Instead of checking here on the 'net, the 1st thing anyone ought to do if presented with a lethargic dog with a temp of 105 + is head for the nearest vet or e-vet.

#23 ·
OH fine msvette, just take away my little ego boost :p (Even though you ARE correct...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.