German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   shivering and feeling hot (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/208402-shivering-feeling-hot.html)

Alessandra Todaro 01-22-2013 11:42 PM

shivering and feeling hot

when I got home today from working out I noticed Brutus wasn't acting himself. He went to the bathroom and everything looked normal.. he normally eats 3-4 cups a day and he only ate 1. He isn't being playful and he didn't want his bone to chew on which is not normal for him. I noticed about 30 minutes ago he started shaking really bad like he has the chills. His nose is dry and when I touch his fur it feels hot and like he has been sweating a lot... he is refusing water and i try to feed him from my hand and he won't eat at all. I am making him some rice right now in hopes he will eat that. He was either by my side or in his kennel all day so he didn't eat anything that he wasn't supposed to. I am concerned because he this isn't like him to be this way. I should also mention we put flea medicine on him sunday afternoon. Could that be it? is there anything that I should look or watch out for over the next couple of hours? if it gets worse I plan to bring him to the emergency vet but I want to make sure that I try everything at home before I do that. Any advice helps .. I am becoming extremely worried.

Alessandra Todaro 01-22-2013 11:50 PM

i also just took his temp and it is 105.4

GatorBytes 01-22-2013 11:52 PM

How old is he? Shivering does not sound good. It could be a reaction from spot on treatment, but how bad of a reaction is the question...can you take his temp.?

did he have a recent vaccine? what?

If Anubus is on here she may have better idea of symptoms and whether you should get to the vet asap.

GatorBytes 01-22-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandra Todaro (Post 2796994)
i also just took his temp and it is 105.4

Go to the vet...

Alessandra Todaro 01-22-2013 11:53 PM

he is a year old up to date on all shots and he hasnt had any vaccines recently ... his next one is due in march

GatorBytes 01-23-2013 12:02 AM

At least call the emerg. clinic and see what crisis temp is...is he drinking yet?

katieliz 01-23-2013 12:04 AM

vet please right away. e-vet, right away. way, way better to be safe than sorry.

CorShepherd 01-23-2013 12:18 AM

According to this link High Fever in Dogs: Symptoms and Treatments

106F is the critical point. I would closely watch his temp and watch for any other worsening, or if he continues to refuse fluids, I would take him to the emergency vet. The article linked above also has tips to control the temperature.

Hope your dog gets well soon.

LifeofRiley 01-23-2013 12:28 AM

So sorry... I know you must be so worried, I would be too!

I would definitely be on the phone with the vet or e-vet by now! And, I would absolutely follow whatever recommendation they make.

FWIW, my dog has never had a reaction like that to flea treatment. So, again, please continue to closely monitor your dog and be in communication with your vet or the e-vet. They will give you the best advice as to how to proceed.

Wishing you and your pup all the best!!!!

msvette2u 01-23-2013 12:31 AM

Don't sit at home typing here, GET THE DOG TO THE ER VET. 105.4 is CRITICAL!!!