Swollen nose - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Swollen nose

The spot right above Baxter's nose swelled up overnight. I've given him Benadryl (per recommendations of his breeder and the animal hospital), and I'm going to get him into the vet as soon as I can. I haven't noticed spiders in my room where he sleeps, and he has no new treats or toys. It was completely normal at about 10pm last night, I just noticed it this morning after we got back inside. Any ideas? I am taking him into the vet, so I guess this is more to try to reduce my own panic and anxiety. Here is a picture comparing last night to this morning:

Top is last night, bottom is this morning. Not the exact same angle, but you get the basic view of it.

Poor guy...

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Most likely it's a bite of some kind. Or he bumped it? Hope the benadryl helps.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I didn't see/hear him bump it on anything, and I didn't notice any bite... Not to say neither one of those is the culprit, though. The benadryl didn't seem to be doing much of anything when I left. He's staying with my Mom until I can take him over to the vet so that he can be monitored in case it gets worse.

I have an appointment for him at 11, so fingers crossed it's nothing major and goes away quickly!

He's acting like his usual goofball self, so that made me feel a bit better...But still. I hate when my boy isn't 100%.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It looks like a wasp bite. Have you noticed any wasps or bees? Is it too cold there?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Too cold (only 8 degrees this morning) - and if there was a wasp or bee in my bedroom, I'd be staying at a hotel. I do NOT do wasps/bees.

If it's a bite, spider is the most likely culprit...in which case, Sam may be staying at a hotel when he gets home. I'll do another thorough vacuuming when I get back home, even though it was just done. I haven't noticed any, but...then again...it's easy to not notice spiders. I don't have any bites, but I don't sleep on the floor...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He had no problem with me taking a look at it, checking out his teeth and gums to make sure there wasn't something there. His gums had been a teensy bit red last night, but he had just been chewing on some of his toys. They looked completely fine this morning, no tenderness, etc.

All in all, he's acting like nothing is wrong - wanted to play tug this morning, tried to chase the cats, barked at the "bad guys" outside, ate his breakfast with his usual enthusiasm... Just a wonky nose.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, the swollen nose turned out to be nothing. He thinks, as you all do, that it's likely just a bite. But during the exam, he noticed that Baxter's heartbeat was irregular.

So now I need to set up an appointment with a dog cardiologist to get an EKG done. I'm fully aware that there are many, many harmless heart conditions. I myself have one. But that doesn't help to alleviate the anxiety. The vet didn't want to give me much information or speculate until an EKG has been done, which I understand...but is also frustrating. I just want to know that my boy is okay.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Benadryl also may cause some other common side effects of tingling or numbness, irregular heartbeat, and low blood pressure.
As with any medication taken orally a person may experience side effects that are considered to be allergic reactions such as having an unexplained rash, swelling of the tongue, mouth, throat or lips.Common allergic reactions may also include itching and irregular heartbeat.
After taking Benadryl at night, a patient may experience a general tiredness the next morning, and possibly the next day, until the drug is excreted from the body.

Common side effects of Benadryl - by Kate Johns - Helium

Don't give him benedryl...then go to another vet as this one should have known this....

Hopefully this is the only reason for the heart concern
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post

Don't give him benedryl...then go to another vet as this one should have known this....
What do you mean? "don't give him benedryl and go to another vet"? or "Don't give him benedryl" period??

If a dog's nose is swollen to that extent anthistimines are necessary, to control the swelling and allergic reaction. As with any medication, benefits outweigh risks or the medicine isn't given. In this case, with swelling of the nose/face, it's better to accept risks for benefits (decreased swelling).

On the "list" of common side effects for benadryl, heart rate is not even mentioned, so why do you think this vet is so bad they need to change vets??

Giving a Dog Benadryl to Stop Itching - VetInfo

http://benadrylfordogs.net/what-are-...s-of-benadryl/

Last edited by msvette2u; 01-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hopefully that is the only reason. The cost of consultation and ECG honestly isn't much more than an office visit, and I'd rather get him a clean bill of health and avoid benadryl in the future if that was indeed the culprit.

I waited until I talked to the e-vet and a few others before giving him benadryl, and only gave him half of the recommended dosage since he has never had it before. I just didn't know what else to do since his nose was getting so swollen, but the e-vet told me that he should be fine to wait until our normal vet was open to take him in as he was able to breath without any difficulty. Thankfully, that seems to be going away, though.

Hopefully it's nothing, and just a simple reaction to the benadryl....but now that it's been brought up, I'll worry until I'm certain that he's in good health. At least ECGs are noninvasive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.