Completed vaccines at 8 weeks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Completed vaccines at 8 weeks?

Ok, so Kaiser got his 1st shot of vaccines at 2 and a half weeks (breeder), then a booster at about 5 and a half weeks & his final booster at 8 weeks and 2 days!

He's due for his rabies vaccine after about 25 days from now!

I hope this isn't too soon? He's fine otherwise, playing, eating, pooping etc..

Kaiser: DOB 13-Nov-2012
Bundle of joy from 17-Dec-2012 to 06-Feb-2013
ankittanna87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Those early shots did him no good because he got antibodies from his mother and his immune system was too immature to create its own antibodies. Most pups don't even START their shots until 8 weeks.

Rabies. Here they will not administer to a pup under 12 weeks, recommended is 16 weeks, then one year. If you have rabies in the area I would do that. If not delay as long as you can.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply nancy,

There are quite a few strays here so I'm assuming there must be rabies too.. he will be about 12 weeks when he gets his rabies.. a month from now so that's 4 weeks..

So, the shots he got will help him or won't? Do I have to give him some booster shots again? Or can I start taking him out after the vaccines acting up? Like maybe after 2 weeks or so? I haven't done any socialization with other animals since most pet owners here are too retarded! I swear if I start telling the stories of these pets, I can guarantee u will cry! They just want pets as a status symbol.. I am yet to find a well behaved dog in my area.. they will walk on leash but that's just because they're too obese to pull!!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This document discusses maternal antibodies and states

Puppies should be vaccinated every
3–4 wk between the ages of 6 and
16 wk (e.g., at 6, 10, and 14 wk, or
8, 12, and 16 wk). To minimize the
risk of maternal antibody interference
with vaccination, the final dose of the
initial series should be administered
between 14 and 16 wk of age,

http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...Guidelines.pdf

So it seems he may not have gotten the benefit of earlier shots and should have more-I would share this with your veterinarian. I realize it us USA and you may have different illnesses to be concerned with. It could be, too that we may have puppies with their mothers longer (until 8 weeks) here. The document I linked represents standard veterinary thinking over here.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

How old is he? Assume the first 2 rounds of vaccines did him NO good. As someone else mentioned, maternal antibodies actually STOP vaccines from working. That is one of the main reasons puppies are boostered 3 times, to ensure they get ample coverage after maternal antibodies cease to protect the puppy. I would give him one more round at 12 weeks, and then again at 16 weeks. After that, rabies.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankittanna87 View Post
There are quite a few strays here so I'm assuming there must be rabies too.. he will be about 12 weeks when he gets his rabies.. a month from now so that's 4 weeks.
I've never heard of rabies being given that young, but perhaps that's common in India. Is rabies prevalent in your country? Can you check around and see if it's typical of vets there to give rabies so young? Here in the US rabies is usually given at 4-6 months old.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies people, yes the vet I had consulted earlier too had said the same thing.. rabies should be given at around 12 weeks or so..

@ anubis star - He is 9 weeks now.. I will check with the vet again.. That would suck to give him his shots again.. bugger cries as though he's getting a rectal exam! But since it's his health, I will do it again.. Even the trainer was telling me the same thing to get him vaccinated so that socialization can begin & I can start taking him for walks.. I live in an apartment so the only exercise he has is playing ball with me in the house & it's not excessively big..

Hence I thought if his shots are done, I can start exercising him properly.. I'll defo speak to the vet soon.. get his views on the opinion & maybe take a 2nd opinion

Thanks guys!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It would concern me that your vet doesn't know that early vaccines don't have any protective effect because of maternal antibodies inherited by the puppy. The whole reason there is a series of puppy shots, given every few weeks, (2-3 or 3-4, depending on what protocol you subscribe to), is that we don't know when those antibodies wear off, and it's at that point, and only then, that vaccines have any protective effect.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.