German Shepherds Forum banner

Ear infections and prevention

938 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  LeoRose 
#1 ·
Leo is my first GSD (I kind of got her by accident), and only the second dog I've owned to have an ear infection. Both her ears are red, and evidently very sore. I've taken her to the vet, and have a medication called Surolan Otic to put in them. In the info sheet they gave me about yeast/fungal ear infections, it mentions that GSD are prone to them. What, if any, steps can I take in the future to avoid another episode?

#3 ·
She was on 4Health Salmon and Potato when I noticed the problem. I switched to Simply Nourish Salmon and Sweet potato over the weekend. Today was the earliest my vet could see her.

#4 ·
What is the difference in the ingredients between the two? Is the Simply Nourish a limited ingredient food?

I hope someone else jumps on this but I seem to see a correlation between food and ear infections. I might be imagining it but it seems like when people post about ears and they switch foods, it often helps. Again...it could just be my imagination so I hope someone else comes along and verifies this.

#5 ·
The Simply Nourish is a limited ingredient diet in that it has no wheat, corn, soy, or chicken.

#8 ·
She gets two fish oil capsules daily, in addition to her food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.