Smelly paws and breath, constant licking... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Smelly paws and breath, constant licking...

Sorry, you guys are probably sick of me. I posted last night about Starks irritated paw, I notice today he started licking/biting the back paw. Im thinking its allergies, he is on a wheat free diet and I recently bought some el-cheapo treats and have been giving him a generous amount. And, they are not grain free. So, I think his body is reacting. I also had him on antibiotics a month or two ago for an overgrowth of bad bacteria in his insides (diagnosed with a stool sample). He seemed to get better with that, he had smelly breath and was just a little lethargic. Last week my BF noticed his breath is smelly again. Also, I was doing some reading and found out GSDs are very susceptible to yeast infections. Im thinking hes got a yeast problem with his feed due to his allergies. His feet are stinky! Before he had this irritation with his feet he had a hint of the frito smell to them which Ive heard on this forum before. Id like to hear from some members who use natural rememdies. I know that antibiotics can cause infections, if at all possible Id like to try to get him back on track with a natural remedy. Any advice on how to treat this and some maintenance tips for when we get this cleared up?
Thanks so much!
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you tried giving him any probiotics? If he had excess bacteria in his stool, then he has an imbalance and he needs to good bacteria put back in. Especially now that he was on an antibiotic and further killed off the good bacteria.

What kibble are you feeding him? Have you had him tested for allergies? Food allergies actually only account for 10% of all allergies.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have not had him tested for allergies, but when he was quite young he was always very itchy. He was contantly biting, licking his genital area and back legs and constantly scratching around his neck. I called my vet to ask about an allergy test and he told me they are pretty expensive. He suggested trying to switch his food to a grain free food just to see if that helped, and if not I could choose to get the allergy testing. So, I had him on Blue Buffalo and switched him to Innova grain free salmon and herring formula. Within a week the itching almost stopped completely. The build up of bacteria he had the vet said was probably from switching the food, even though I switched it as suggested he said Stark could still react to it. Should I bring him to the vet to get a skin scraping to make sure hes got a yeast issue? Ive taken him to the vet so much already in his one year of life,... I just dont have the money to go to the vet once a month! I love him to death and I will spend whatever it takes for whatever he needs. But, I feel like the antibiotics didnt work, so I want to try some herbal/ natural things.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I sure wish there was more access to this, a friend of mine brews it and the benefits are worth trying.
Colloidal Silver ~ Natural Antibiotic Alternative If you want I'll pm you her contact info on fb...she's in Battle Creek.
I have a dog with allergies(mold/dust mites) she use to chew her paws, lick her abdomen. We did the allergy tests, I gave her the serum injections for about 18 months, but quit when they kept raising the price. I give her meijer brand equivilant of benedryl in the morning and just started the CS every couple days(pour a few oz on her raw meal)

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-14-2013 at 07:31 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have been actively researching colloidal silver and I know a nurse who I used to work with who makes her own at home. I just wish I knew how much to use, to apply it to the feet directly, have him ingest it or both. I know things like colloidal silver, apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil are all things Ive considered trying. They wont hurt him to try... I just wish I knew which would be best to use and how much to use.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would do it orally and topically. If you have access to it, I'd definitely give it a try. The one that brews it can tell you the dosage or you can find it online fairly easily. There is a great fb page that I subscribe to as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, that site just told me the amounts I should use for fungal issues, I suppose I should have read that first before responding lol. Ill have to see if I can get my nurse friend to brew me up a batch, if I cant I will get ahold of you for your friends information. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sent you the fb page link!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Probiotics would be my first step. He has an internal imbalance. Second, coconut oil and fish oil. If you don't heal the inside, then you won't heal the outside.

Look up Candida yeast overgrowth and dogs and see if the symptoms fit.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree, Probi's and the oils should be given as well...I give all of the above regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.