German Shepherds Forum banner

Smelly paws and breath, constant licking...

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 ·
Sorry, you guys are probably sick of me. I posted last night about Starks irritated paw, I notice today he started licking/biting the back paw. Im thinking its allergies, he is on a wheat free diet and I recently bought some el-cheapo treats and have been giving him a generous amount. And, they are not grain free. So, I think his body is reacting. I also had him on antibiotics a month or two ago for an overgrowth of bad bacteria in his insides (diagnosed with a stool sample). He seemed to get better with that, he had smelly breath and was just a little lethargic. Last week my BF noticed his breath is smelly again. Also, I was doing some reading and found out GSDs are very susceptible to yeast infections. Im thinking hes got a yeast problem with his feed due to his allergies. His feet are stinky! Before he had this irritation with his feet he had a hint of the frito smell to them which Ive heard on this forum before. Id like to hear from some members who use natural rememdies. I know that antibiotics can cause infections, if at all possible Id like to try to get him back on track with a natural remedy. Any advice on how to treat this and some maintenance tips for when we get this cleared up?
Thanks so much!

#2 ·
Have you tried giving him any probiotics? If he had excess bacteria in his stool, then he has an imbalance and he needs to good bacteria put back in. Especially now that he was on an antibiotic and further killed off the good bacteria.

What kibble are you feeding him? Have you had him tested for allergies? Food allergies actually only account for 10% of all allergies.

#3 ·
I have not had him tested for allergies, but when he was quite young he was always very itchy. He was contantly biting, licking his genital area and back legs and constantly scratching around his neck. I called my vet to ask about an allergy test and he told me they are pretty expensive. He suggested trying to switch his food to a grain free food just to see if that helped, and if not I could choose to get the allergy testing. So, I had him on Blue Buffalo and switched him to Innova grain free salmon and herring formula. Within a week the itching almost stopped completely. The build up of bacteria he had the vet said was probably from switching the food, even though I switched it as suggested he said Stark could still react to it. Should I bring him to the vet to get a skin scraping to make sure hes got a yeast issue? Ive taken him to the vet so much already in his one year of life,... I just dont have the money to go to the vet once a month! I love him to death and I will spend whatever it takes for whatever he needs. But, I feel like the antibiotics didnt work, so I want to try some herbal/ natural things.

#4 · (Edited)
I sure wish there was more access to this, a friend of mine brews it and the benefits are worth trying.
Colloidal Silver ~ Natural Antibiotic Alternative If you want I'll pm you her contact info on fb...she's in Battle Creek.
I have a dog with allergies(mold/dust mites) she use to chew her paws, lick her abdomen. We did the allergy tests, I gave her the serum injections for about 18 months, but quit when they kept raising the price. I give her meijer brand equivilant of benedryl in the morning and just started the CS every couple days(pour a few oz on her raw meal)

#5 ·
I have been actively researching colloidal silver and I know a nurse who I used to work with who makes her own at home. I just wish I knew how much to use, to apply it to the feet directly, have him ingest it or both. I know things like colloidal silver, apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil are all things Ive considered trying. They wont hurt him to try... I just wish I knew which would be best to use and how much to use.

#6 ·
I would do it orally and topically. If you have access to it, I'd definitely give it a try. The one that brews it can tell you the dosage or you can find it online fairly easily. There is a great fb page that I subscribe to as well.

#7 ·
Well, that site just told me the amounts I should use for fungal issues, I suppose I should have read that first before responding lol. Ill have to see if I can get my nurse friend to brew me up a batch, if I cant I will get ahold of you for your friends information. Thank you!

#10 ·
I agree, Probi's and the oils should be given as well...I give all of the above regularly.

#11 ·
He does have a lot of the symptoms, he had a UTI last time he was checked as well. Would that be considered a secondary infection due to his overgrowth of bad bacteria? And, if so and he has another sort of infection will getting the bateria back in balance take care of any secondary infections?
Also, what probiotics and how much do you use?
And how much fish oil and coconut oil?

#13 · (Edited)
give him some benedryl 1mg per one pound of dogs weight. Also you could give esterC. It is a natural antihistamine and adds acid to the bladder so the bacteria in the bladder can't live. I've taken C when I had a UTI and it cleared it right up within hours. Start at 500mg of C and over a couple days, double the dose(split it between am and pm) Then you could go up to 2000mg, but 1000 daily is probably enough. Because you don't want to overload everything at once, I'd start with these two things and some plain yogurt with active cultures. Then next week begin the oils. I give 1000mg of fish oil and a couple tablespoons of coconut(raw virgin unrefined) every couple days. Or I'll give sardines every few days instead of the fish oil. Meijer has Brunswick brand(Canada) and one can is a good portion for an adult dog, just top it on the meal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.