German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Recurring Staph Infections (non-GSD) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/203034-recurring-staph-infections-non-gsd.html)

evybear15 01-14-2013 10:51 AM

Recurring Staph Infections (non-GSD)

I'm trying to look for some additional information for my parents as their Golden Retriever/Lab/Something-or-other mix has recently started to get staph infections.

Unfortunately, while they love their dog...they don't always notice skin conditions on him. His fur is fairly long, and he runs away when they attempt to do much grooming with him. They typically have him taken to Petsmart for baths/grooming. I can't say I'm 100% pleased with their care of him, but all I can do is encourage them to take the necessary steps for his health and do my best to keep an eye out for these things when I'm over there.

About two months ago, I noticed that he had a nasty rash on his belly/groin area - the skin was "weeping" and it just looked awful. They took him to the vet and determined it was a staph infection, and hew as put on antibiotics and steroids. It got better, and he perked up.

Last week when I was over, I was petting him and noticed he had some spots along his back that if I itched, he'd start kicking his back foot. Looking closer, they were the same scabbed over circles that I saw on Baxter when he had his staph infection (though Baxter's were confined to his belly/groin). These were all along his back and spine. They called the vet back, and he was put onto 750mg of Cephalaxin twice a day, and they're supposed to keep an eye on him for the next two weeks.

He has had no changes to his environment, food, treats, etc. What would be some possible causes of these recurring infections? Or could it be that the first one was never fully taken care of? Any information would be appreciated. He may not be my dog, but I'd like to see him in good health!

GatorBytes 01-14-2013 11:10 AM

Um, are you talking about two dogs - your post is confusing is baxter your dog and you treated and is hew a name or typo?

sounds like two diff. conditions re: area's

evybear15 01-14-2013 11:15 AM

Sorry - my brain is still a bit fuzzy from this cold I had/have!

The spots looked similar to what I had seen on my dog, Baxter... But they were on my parents' dog, Chaco. They vary from the size of a dime, up to the size of a quarter, and are dark, scabbed-over/crusted circles that reveal raw skin (from where Chaco scratched them off).

I was also thinking that it may be two separate things, but Chaco's vet was saying that the staph infection could appear anywhere on the dog's body?

phgsd 01-14-2013 11:18 AM

I've only dealt with one staph infection - but the traditional antibiotics didn't clear it up, so the vet did a culture to figure out the best antibiotic to use. The staph was resistant to some of the more "traditional" antibiotics so we had to go with something different.

TimberGSD2 01-14-2013 11:21 AM

I agree a skin scraping would be their best bet into finding out what is going on. Not all infections are created equal and some can be downright resistant to most antibiotics.

evybear15 01-14-2013 11:34 AM

Thanks - I'll do my best to encourage them to do that!

I'm in the process of trying to convince them to switch vets. There was one at the current practice they go to that did very well with Chaco, but she recently left to open her own facility in NC...a bit of a drive from Ohio. :) Unfortunately, the remaining vet absolutely hates their dog, and Chaco is very anxious around him. I've never seen a vet behave toward/talk about a dog the way this one does with Chaco, and it causes far too much anxiety for Chaco. I'm encouraging them to at least consider the possibility of going to another office and seeing how Chaco does with the vet(s) there. I feel like they're going to be more reluctant to take him in if they feel stressed about getting their dog through the door... :(

Jax08 01-14-2013 11:49 AM

Manuka honey - apply to wounds

huntergreen 01-14-2013 12:35 PM

if this was "people" my first thought would be round worm.

GatorBytes 01-14-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 2734466)
if this was "people" my first thought would be round worm.

did you mean ringworm?

If ringworm, it is fungal...

If is staph, raw organic cold pressed coconut oil, 50/50 mix of applecider vinegar/water will balance the skin PH, staph grows in alkaline conditions, if you acidify this will halt the growth and kill bacteria...coconut oil will condition and kill bacteria and assist in healing.

ringworm is highly contagious so if your dog was playing with, then watch for signs, if you find then you can likely rule that in. could be dry skin or hotspots leading to staph - again the CO and AVC as well as fish body oil in diet and a good "natural" b-complex (natural will contain b12 in form of methylcobalamin - not "cyano" version) and a no-flush niacin....B3 (niacin) is indictated for use in MRSA and C. Diff. bacteria's

evybear15 01-14-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 2734874)
did you mean ringworm?

If ringworm, it is fungal...

If is staph, raw organic cold pressed coconut oil, 50/50 mix of applecider vinegar/water will balance the skin PH, staph grows in alkaline conditions, if you acidify this will halt the growth and kill bacteria...coconut oil will condition and kill bacteria and assist in healing.

ringworm is highly contagious so if your dog was playing with, then watch for signs, if you find then you can likely rule that in. could be dry skin or hotspots leading to staph - again the CO and AVC as well as fish body oil in diet and a good "natural" b-complex (natural will contain b12 in form of methylcobalamin - not "cyano" version) and a no-flush niacin....B3 (niacin) is indictated for use in MRSA and C. Diff. bacteria's

Now that's something I could get them to try! Would they apply the CO or ACV directly to the affected areas? I am assuming that this would be something they could safely do while continuing his current treatment, or something they'd want to try after?

I haven't noticed anything on Baxter, and I check him pretty thoroughly on a daily basis while petting/massaging him, so I'd be able to tell if anything were popping up on him. However...Chaco doesn't really play with Baxter. He doesn't dislike him, necessarily, they're just...not buddies. They're perfectly well mannered with one another, but dislike playing together. It's interesting. When they're together with my brother's dog, the three of them will play, but it's always Chaco playing only with Darwin, Baxter only playing with Darwin, and Darwin playing with both of them. It's an odd arrangement they have, but as long as they're not fighting and there's no tension, I'm okay with it!