Recurring Staph Infections (non-GSD) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[QUOTE=evybear15;2735034]Now that's something I could get them to try! Would they apply the CO or ACV directly to the affected areas? I am assuming that this would be something they could safely do while continuing his current treatment, or something they'd want to try after?

QUOTE]

yes...mix 50/50 of acv (should be raw organic like "braggs") and soak a clean (free of fabric softeners and dyes) cloth or put in spray bottle if will tolerate it...might sting, but it's a good sting that cools and then feels better...let dry and rub in the C.O. after - you want to get rid of any loose crusts first, so comb out. You can feed the CO too...1tsp/10 lbs. body weight and use in conjuction with a human grade fish oil (fish body oil has more EPA/DHA then salmon alone) 1-2000mg to start. re: CO - Nutiva good brand - mid price range, if looking for some are chemically pressed or heat treated - don't want that.

If giving the dog a bath or even soaking down - can do a whole body rinse after with 50/50 acv/water - don't rinse off
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've had to go a few rounds of antibiotics to clear an infection on a dog as well as myself. It's not a rare thing. I wouldn't try a bunch of home remedies without 1) having the vet conclude they are still dealing with staph and 2) keeping on the appropriate antibiotics.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some dogs just have reoccurring skin issues. I have a Golden mix that gets staph infections during rainy and humid seasons. I give her a round of Cephalexin, clean the area with Vetericyn, and wash her with medicated shampoo. It clears up within a week. See the vet and keep it under control. Pay greater attention to triggers and avoid them. For example, when it is rainy, I make sure to blow dry my Golden well - this helps with her infections.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh, I'm not advising them to stop his current antibiotics at all. No worries there! The second vet (the one who hates my parents' dog) didn't even have them bring Chaco in. He simply listened to their description, said, "That can happen," and gave them a new prescription for antibiotics and said to call back in a week or so - I believe a week if it isn't improving at all, or is getting worse...or two weeks if it's improving, but hasn't completely cleared up.

I know that staph infections for dogs is not terribly uncommon, so I'm assuming the symptoms are easily recognized...I just find it odd that he wouldn't want to even look at it, as Chaco is presenting symptoms in a completely different area.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think staph in dogs is more common than we think. First, I hate when vets just switch antibiotics without doing a culture. They are just adding to the anti resistant bugs we have out there. I would insist on a culture to find out exactly what they are dealing with.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

My pit mix had severe allergies that caused staph infections. Eventually antibiotics stopped working. The round areas are fungal. He passed that on to me twice. It was ring worm. But not to any other member of my family. He needs to go to a dermatologist. He'll probably need internal and external medications as well as figuring out the real source of all of this. Most likely allergies. The dermatologist will save hundreds of dollars in the long run because they deal with this every day. There is no guessing. At least that's how it was for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think they switched antibiotics - just gave them more of the same. However, I don't have ALL of the information. Just getting bits and pieces from my mom when I pester her about how their dog is doing. I will let them know about the skin scraping if this problem persists - although I'm not holding my breath on them taking much action with it. While I love my parents...they aren't great about taking advice from me when it comes to the health of their pets. They certainly don't neglect them, but I can't say I'm happy with their lack of motivation to call the vet when things pop up.

However...I do have someone on the inside. My youngest brother still lives at home, and he definitely concerns himself with the wellbeing of the pets, so I can have him help me push on them to take some more action.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

My male aussie gets nasty yucky 'sores' usually this time of year, in fact he's got a good one going on right now, they are usually fungus/staph, he's had them his entire life at certain times of the year , they just 'blow up' out of nowhere

I make sure the fur all around them are clipped close, clean daily (about 3 times or more depending),,put him on an antibiotic, usually use vetericyn altho I've been known to use other things.

I think the biggest thing, besides getting advice/meds from the vet is, to keep the area shaved up so air can get to it, and keep it clean..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ohh...convincing them to clip/shave the fur around the sores could he tough, but I'll let them know! His fur is 4-6" long in most spots. I will, however, let them know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.