Update on UAP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Update on UAP

My new girl Keiko that I adopted around Thanksgiving just had UAP surgery Thursday. We are very relieved to find out that it's only ONE elbow! Hooray! They x-rayed her other elbow, and it looked perfectly fine. The vet showed me the two x-rays for comparison, and it was amazing the difference.

The ortho vet removed the UAP from the bad elbow, and cleaned up the joint a bit. I was surprised at how BIG the UAP was. It was about the size of a marble! No wonder her elbow was hurting, with that rolling around loose!

We brought her home yesterday, and we are to have 4-6 weeks of crate rest. I'm hoping for 4... We're only on day 2, and she started using the leg almost normally today. I have to keep her on a short leash to prevent her from trotting. She doesn't limp when walking at all. Yesterday, she was hopping around on 3 legs.

My other dog is so happy to have his friend back, even though he isn't able to actually be around her, except through a closed crate door. When she was at the vet's, he kept checking the space where her crate goes, and he was looking pretty depressed. Now he's happy puppy again, though he won't get to play with her for quite a while.

I'm hoping she'll learn to pee on command. I'm praising like crazy and saying, "Good pee-pee!" when she pees. This morning, I've taken her out twice and she hasn't peed yet, but she did pee a huge river yesterday afternoon when we got home - all those iv fluids. She had peed once more that evening. At bedtime, I went to take her out, and she looked at me like, "Really? It's bed time. Go away." That's normal for her at bedtime. Hopefully she'll pee soon. She has a bucket of water in her crate, but it doesn't look like she's touched it yet. I put water in her food last night, and she did consume all of that.

Anyway, thanks to those who shared their experiences in my first UAP thread. After seeing that piece of bone, I'm glad we did the surgery. As the vet explained it, it's like having a rock in your shoe... He removed the rock, but the shoe still doesn't fit. But at least she's lean and muscular, so that should help. I will continue her on glucosamine and fish oil for life. Hopefully, this next 4 weeks will go by quickly!

Here she is, waiting in the lobby for her dropoff appointment:

boscopup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Hiya

I'm glad to hear everything went well She'll be feeling so much better without that bone chip in there!
Try to not let her move too much, even tho she is not limping etc! Is she on painkillers?

I can so relate to the constant monitoring of bodily functions - lol we used to have code for when Hex came back inside after potty breaks - "high five" was a pee "double high five" was a poop LOL
You'll find if you can manage to take her out for breaks at roughly the same time every day she will fall into the routine pretty quick

Hex learnt to pee on command during his crate rest time, I'd just say "go pee" whenever he started to go - now I just have to say that and he will usually look for a spot to relive himself.
You're lucky she's a bit older and can hold on for much longer!!

Bully sticks will be your best friend with her in the crate the biggest fattest ones you can find!! (frozen kongs were popular with hex too )
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I hope she continues to do well!!!! Sounds like you are already thinking the surgery was successful?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

She is on Tramadol for pain. If she is in any pain, you can't tell. I am keeping her in her crate except for short potty breaks on leash. She has tried to trot on leash, and she even trots without a limp (for the short time she got away with it). Amazing. Of course, this makes it much harder to keep her still, but she's doing well. She's been fine in the crate so far. In rescue, she was crated all day, so she's used to that somewhat. I've only had her a couple months. She's also used to being crated overnight here anyway... and anytime we leave the house. She's still a puppy afterall.

Jean, yes, I think the surgery was successful. She will never be 100%, as she will continue to get arthritis in that elbow. That was known ahead of time. But the large piece of bone floating around is now gone, so she should be much more comfortable.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Once she heals up look at putting her on a joint support supplement

if she gets way way to active maybe cut down the pain killers a little, sometimes a little bit of pain is great for self limiting them - (of course ask your Vet first) but sometimes when they are on painkillers they feel "fine" and move a lot more than they would if they could actually feel the damage
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Once she heals up look at putting her on a joint support supplement

if she gets way way to active maybe cut down the pain killers a little, sometimes a little bit of pain is great for self limiting them - (of course ask your Vet first) but sometimes when they are on painkillers they feel "fine" and move a lot more than they would if they could actually feel the damage
Forgot to come back and check my thread! Doh!

She's been off the pain killers all week now, and she is WILD when she comes out of her crate. She does not appear to be in any pain at all. She tries to jump up and spin around, etc. She bolts for the door (on leash!). Outside, she trots with zero limp at all. She really appears just fine. This would be why the instructions are leash walks to potty only!

She's been on Glycoflex II since she was diagnosed. I plan to keep her on that and fish oil long term.

She is still on an anti-inflammatory for 2 more days, and antibiotics for a couple more days. Actually, the abx were supposed to be done last week, but I stupidly did not notice that the two bottles of abx were *different*. One was 250mg and one was 500mg. Can't believe I didn't notice that. So she had 250mg, 3x a day for a week, and now she's having 500mg 3x a day for a week. She was supposed to be on 750mg, 3x a day for that first week. We go Tuesday to get sutures out, and I'll talk to the vet about my mistake then. Her incision looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.