German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Should I be concerned? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/200577-should-i-concerned.html)

YOitsMaple 01-09-2013 07:33 PM

Should I be concerned?

To begin, my puppy is 13 weeks old now. She is medically up to date but for the past few days she has been vomiting.
4 days ago she vomited a piece of a chew toy that I had no idea was eaten (she had hidden the toy so I didn't know it was eaten until she vomited). Two days after that she vomited a chunky yellow paste (for lack of better description) and today she vomited again. Each not being a lot of vomit but still vomit.

Everything seems to be normal with her though. She happily plays all day and eats her meals with ease so I'm not sure if this is just something puppies do occasionally? Or is it something she ate (it's hard to keep grass and dirt out of her mouth)?
I've already made an appointment to go see the vet but should I be concerned?

Thanks a lot,
Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Castlemaid 01-09-2013 07:54 PM

The yellow paste sounds like bile, and is common for dogs and pups to vomit bile on an empty stomach.

What time of day did the two bile incidents happen?

For the chew toy piece, if she is eating, pooping, playing, and being her normal self, I wouldn't worry about it, but do keep an eye on her. If she is eating then vomiting her food back out, acting lethargic,in pain, etc, she may have a blockage. That would be a vet visit ASAP.

YOitsMaple 01-09-2013 08:02 PM

Both incidents occurred around 4-5PM.

Castlemaid 01-09-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOitsMaple (Post 2705729)
Both incidents occurred around 4-5PM.

And when did he last eat each time?

YOitsMaple 01-09-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 2706177)
And when did he last eat each time?

She hadn't eaten, besides little treats for training purposes, since breakfast around 8:30AM

GsdLoverr729 01-09-2013 09:23 PM

She could be throwing up from being hungry. My best friend's shepherd will throw up if she has gone too long without eating.

Castlemaid 01-09-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOitsMaple (Post 2706369)
She hadn't eaten, besides little treats for training purposes, since breakfast around 8:30AM

Sounds like it is the bile puking from having an empty stomach. Very common and nothing to be concerned about. You could feed her three times a day, or give her a snack in between her morning and evening meal to avoid the bile throw-up, or feed her evening meal earlier, and give her a snack before bedtime so she does not do the bile throw up in the morning.

selzer 01-09-2013 10:13 PM

But be careful with toys. If she is chewing them up she can get a blockage. One of my puppies had a blockage due to eating toys and it cost a bundle to do a surgery to fix that. If the dog is pooping ok, it is probably ok, but it may be a wake up call to ensure that the toys and other stuff is put up when you cannot supervise.

YOitsMaple 01-09-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 2706537)
Sounds like it is the bile puking from having an empty stomach. Very common and nothing to be concerned about. You could feed her three times a day, or give her a snack in between her morning and evening meal to avoid the bile throw-up, or feed her evening meal earlier, and give her a snack before bedtime so she does not do the bile throw up in the morning.

Thanks a lot! That's probably it because she's a very lite eater in the morning. What would you recommend as a snack?

Castlemaid 01-10-2013 12:13 AM

For a snack you can give dog cookies, or a portion of her regular meals. A raw or cooked egg. Anything you feel comfortable feeding - maybe a bit of cooked rice and chicken. Lots of possibilities - I'm of the school of thought that variety is good for dogs - unless you have a dog with a very sensitive stomach, then stick to stuff you know he tolerates well.